Proposal: Potential trades to address the Oilers’ needs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Soo far? Koskinen has yet to even start a game. Skinner has yet to play a regular season single minute. Your reasoning holds zero logic. Sorry
I disagree. Holland was likely willing to give up Samorkuov and a 1st for Kuemper before the season. Now that Smith has shown he can still play, Koskinen has looked steady and Skinner hasn’t looked like a deer in the headlights, I don’t think he’s willing to do so.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Soo far? Koskinen has yet to even start a game. Skinner has yet to play a regular season single minute. Your reasoning holds zero logic. Sorry

Smith was at minimum expected to at the least split the starts if not play more than Koskinen. I'd obvious lean to more since we tried to upgrade and move Koskinen while Smith got rewarded with a 2 year deal. Smith being on IR absolutely makes the goaltending picture more complicated.

If Smith is out for long term I’ll change my mind. As it stands I don’t think he’ll be out for more than a week.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I disagree. Holland was likely willing to give up Samorkuov and a 1st for Kuemper before the season. Now that Smith has shown he can still play, Koskinen has looked steady and Skinner hasn’t looked like a deer in the headlights, I don’t think he’s willing to do so.

Honestly, if you told Holland that starting game 4 of the season his goaltending tandem would be Koskinen/Skinner with Smith on IR he'd probably have pressed harder to get a goalie. Smith was/is the short term band-Aid at this point. He saved us last season and I'm sure Holland was at least backing on that to start the season and then see how things looked.

Saying management is now pleased and confident cause Skinner never got lite up in a pre-season game and Koskinen played well in 1 relief game. I just can't even understand how you got to this point.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Honestly, if you told Holland that starting game 4 of the season his goaltending tandem would be Koskinen/Skinner with Smith on IR he'd probably have pressed harder to get a goalie. Smith was/is the short term band-Aid at this point. He saved us last season and I'm sure Holland was at least backing on that to start the season and then see how things looked.

Saying management is now pleased and confident cause Skinner never got lite up in a pre-season game and Koskinen played well in 1 relief game. I just can't even understand how you got to this point.
I didn’t say they’re confident. I said it’s less urgent, which is true. I don’t think Holland is burning the midnight oil trying to trade for a goalie at the moment like he was at one during this summer.

I think you’re overlooking the fact that I still put goalie as a need on the list, lol.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I didn’t say they’re confident. I said it’s less urgent, which is true. I don’t think Holland is burning the midnight oil trying to trade for a goalie at the moment like he was at one during this summer.

I think you’re overlooking the fact that I still put goalie as a need on the list, lol.

Fair enough. I think the only thing holding him back is cap space though at this point. To start the off-season he had the cap space to target a starter, now, we do not. To create thus needed space the cost has gone up asset wise. The price to dump Koskinen in season would be higher. If Smith is out longer the cost goes up also as teams will leverage the situation against us.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Fair enough. I think the only thing holding him back is cap space though at this point. To start the off-season he had the cap space to target a starter, now, we do not. To create thus needed space the cost has gone up asset wise. The price to dump Koskinen in season would be higher. If Smith is out longer the cost goes up also as teams will leverage the situation against us.
Fair, but I think with the combination of how the team has started off this season and how the goalies have looked so far, Holland is probably sweating slightly less right now about the goaltending than he was earlier in the summer.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Fair, but I think with the combination of how the team has started off this season and how the goalies have looked so far, Holland is probably sweating slightly less right now about the goaltending than he was earlier in the summer.

I've been waiting almost 3 decades for another goalie I honestly felt was good enough to steal us games consistently and be relied on heavily during a playoff run. Soo there's also that.

Smith's play absolutely surprised me last season. I'll admit that. Still, I'm not fully confident over a full season and potentially deep playoff run in him at his age. As a backup, he's ideal. With Koskinen I'll always be waiting for teams to recall his weak glove hand. I don't care if he has a good October (I do team win wise obviously). I know he will be exposed over time and not hold up.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I've been waiting almost 3 decades for another goalie I honestly felt was good enough to steal us games consistently and be relied on heavily during a playoff run. Soo there's also that
Yams and the 1st should absolutely be on the table for upgrades at the positions I listed.

Reactions: oilexport

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
A top four D? To replace whom? That's quite the assumption three games into the season.

I'd probably step in and say that an impactful third line center is probably pretty high on the pressing needs if the team's looking to make an impact in the playoffs. But that's just me. That Foegele - Ryan - Kassian line is more fourth line than third line in my eyes.

To add to the OP though, Yamamoto and the picks are at the top of the list when it comes to trade capital. Guys like Lavoie and Samorukov could possibly shake loose if you're offering some quality and some term.

Ryan and Kassian on a Cup contender would be amazing 4th liners but to add Foegele to that list seems ignorant to say the least. Besides, Kassian playing well is actually a very serviceable 3rd liner. A top 4 D to bump Ceci down to 3rd pairing would improve the team more at this point than moving Ryan down to 4C (the 3rd line for Edmonton has been their best line this season).

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
I proposed this trade back in June:

Proposal: - EDM | LA

A lot of Kings fans didn't want to trade him. What's changed?
I reread your other thread. I think it wasn't so much that king fans wouldn't want to trade him as much as it was the c jones return u were offering.
As far as to the why i want to trade him is to give opportunity to others for ice time. Right now he is on a line with Danault and Iafallo. This line needs someone to finish the play and Kempe isn't working out. When L Anderson is back he will play with Vilardi and Tkachev and Kaliyev can move up to play with Danault

Arvy kopitar brown
iafallo danault Kaliyev
Tkachev Vilardi L anderson
Lemiuex moore Athanasiou
grunderson LIzzotte

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Habs could trade Chiarot for late first pick? If you draft in top 16, we get your 2nd and a 2nd in '24?

This guy might be perfect for us. A second rounder and Russell in return ? Maybe late 1st is more fair plus Russell. Gives ya a smaller version of chiarot, and the pick. It helps with our salary cap, and Russell can play solid 3 rd pair or fill in 2nd pair.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers have a plethora of middle pairing defensemen in Barrie/Keith/Ceci, which is fine, but in that kind of model I’d rather force Koekkoek/Russell out of the lineup permanently and have a veteran Top 4 guy playing on the third pairing so we can truly play defense by committee. This way there aren’t any obvious weak links on any pairing.

I think Foegele / Ryan / Kassian is a legitimately good third line.
If you are forcing 4K or Russell out, and want a top 4D, are you suggesting we bump Keith to 3LD? Because that isn't needed. 2RW and 1G are the major holes. Although I would still take an upgrade at 4c.

Reactions: voxel

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If you are forcing 4K or Russell out, and want a top 4D, are you suggesting we bump Keith to 3LD? Because that isn't needed. 2RW and 1G are the major holes. Although I would still take an upgrade at 4c.
I’m suggesting we get 5 Top 4 D + Nurse so you can basically put any defenseman on any pairing and not have a obvious weak link anywhere.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This guy might be perfect for us. A second rounder and Russell in return ? Maybe late 1st is more fair plus Russell. Gives ya a smaller version of chiarot, and the pick. It helps with our salary cap, and Russell can play solid 3 rd pair or fill in 2nd pair.
Chiarot for Russell and your first? We have a deal?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ok that's fair. Not sure how we can afford it but it's a fair goal to have
I think it’s doable. We already have four, just need to add one guy and I think there’s enough movable salaries (Turris, Yamamoto, Russell/Koekkoek) to make it work.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
We're 4-0 gang. No need to make any deals right now. Koskinen looked good last night.

Agreed we probably need a 1A goalie and a 2RW but we should be enjoying the ride while it lasts :)

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Yeah 1G and 2RW are the needs.

Zero interest in D who can’t transition the puck and defend.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah 1G and 2RW are the needs.

Zero interest in D who can’t transition the puck and defend.
They aren't needs but wants .
With the division they are in and the recent additions Oilers should make the playoffs comfortably.

Skinner could get 20starts and I wouldn't panic. Trade deadline is when Holland should add a piece or 2 for the run.

Reactions: TFHockey

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ryan and Kassian on a Cup contender would be amazing 4th liners but to add Foegele to that list seems ignorant to say the least. Besides, Kassian playing well is actually a very serviceable 3rd liner. A top 4 D to bump Ceci down to 3rd pairing would improve the team more at this point than moving Ryan down to 4C (the 3rd line for Edmonton has been their best line this season).
I'm not talking about the individual player I'm speaking specifically about the line. Derek Ryan isn't a guy you can realistically expect to carry that kind of workload beyond 82 games. That isn't a high-end third line.

And when it comes to 'pushing down' Ceci, who's getting pushed out? If there's any kind of defensive upgrade to be had, it's improving on Russell/Koekkoek. The RD doesn't exactly have a player who should be sitting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad