Proposal: Potential trades to address the Oilers’ needs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s becoming apparent that the Oilers may need to improve the following areas to bolster their chances of a successful season:

- Second line RW
- Top 4 D
- Goalie (this one is actually less of a pressing need right now)
- 4th line depth

What players are available that could fill these gaps and what would it take to acquire them?

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Any Interest in Adrian kempe ?, Sean walker could easily play ur 2nd pairing rd spot Quick might be able to be talked into leaving. As for ur 4th line Wagner Frk Lizzotte all available NO reasonable offer denied all reasonably priced to go :)

Reactions: Pointteen

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Any Interest in Adrian kempe ?, Sean walker could easily play ur 2nd pairing rd spot Quick might be able to be talked into leaving. As for ur 4th line Wagner Frk Lizzotte all available NO reasonable offer denied all reasonably priced to go :)
Walker and Kempe would both be intriguing. What would the cost be for one or both?

Reactions: Pointteen

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A top four D? To replace whom? That's quite the assumption three games into the season.

I'd probably step in and say that an impactful third line center is probably pretty high on the pressing needs if the team's looking to make an impact in the playoffs. But that's just me. That Foegele - Ryan - Kassian line is more fourth line than third line in my eyes.

To add to the OP though, Yamamoto and the picks are at the top of the list when it comes to trade capital. Guys like Lavoie and Samorukov could possibly shake loose if you're offering some quality and some term.

Reactions: McDoused

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A top four D? To replace whom? That's quite the assumption three games into the season.

I'd probably step in and say that an impactful third line center is probably pretty high on the pressing needs if the team's looking to make an impact in the playoffs. But that's just me. That Foegele - Ryan - Kassian line is more fourth line than third line in my eyes.

To add to the OP though, Yamamoto and the picks are at the top of the list when it comes to trade capital. Guys like Lavoie and Samorukov could possibly shake loose if you're offering some quality and some term.
The Oilers have a plethora of middle pairing defensemen in Barrie/Keith/Ceci, which is fine, but in that kind of model I’d rather force Koekkoek/Russell out of the lineup permanently and have a veteran Top 4 guy playing on the third pairing so we can truly play defense by committee. This way there aren’t any obvious weak links on any pairing.

I think Foegele / Ryan / Kassian is a legitimately good third line.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Walker and Kempe would both be intriguing. What would the cost be for one or both?
I am thinking kempe for 2nd and bourgault or mcleod 3 rd and samorukov for walker For both I like broberg and a 2nd Now feel free to counter offer if its to expensive.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It’s becoming apparent that the Oilers may need to improve the following areas to bolster their chances of a successful season:

- Second line RW
- Top 4 D
- 4th line depth

What players are available that could fill these gaps and what would it take to acquire them?
Habs could trade Chiarot for late first pick? If you draft in top 16, we get your 2nd and a 2nd in '24?

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
How’s Chiarot’s skating?
His skating is decent for a rugged dman. He can also jump up when needed and get back in position. I actually thought of Chiarot being a good candidate for the Oilers at the deadline. Gives them a dman who can play 2nd pairing and isn't afraid of top minutes as seen with Weber in the playoffs. So if the Oilers got in a bind he'd be able to help reduce the issue of say injuries.

Reactions: Cloned

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

- Second line RW
- Top 4 D
- 4th line depth

I am not sure how goalie is not a pressing need right now. Its 1,2 and 3 on the list there.

Gibson for Yamamoto, Koskinen, Samorukov an 2022-1st

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I am not sure how goalie is not a pressing need right now. Its 1,2 and 3 on the list there.

Gibson for Yamamoto, Koskinen, Samorukov an 2022-1st

It’s not as pressing as it was before the season started because both goalies have actually played well.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
It’s not as pressing of a need as it was before the season started. That’s not wrong.

I didn’t say it wasn’t a need anymore.

How is it less. Smith is injured. Koskinen hasn't proven he's rebounded from last season playing relief in a partial game. That's crazy talk. Goaltending was an issue before Smith went down.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
How is it less. Smith is injured. Koskinen hasn't proven he's rebounded from last season playing relief in a partial game. That's crazy talk. Goaltending was an issue before Smith went down.
It’s not as urgent because Koskinen isn’t putting up .850 performances so far like he was to end off last season. And Skinner didn’t give up 6 goals on 20 shots (or whatever it was against Ottawa) in the preseason. Thus the Oilers aren’t facing the same type of urgent pressure to acquire a goalie (read: they don’t have to give up Samorukov and a 1st anymore).

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Edm is all about the goalie. Mcd ,Leon, more than good enough make up for 4th line depth 2rw needs.

Trusting Mike Smith to complete a Roloson redo in the playoffs is sketchy at best. If Chicago falters, I am looking at Fluery hard and see if anything is in the tank.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012

I proposed this trade back in June:

Proposal: - EDM | LA

A lot of Kings fans didn't want to trade him. What's changed?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
It’s not as urgent because Koskinen isn’t putting up .850 performances so far like he was to end off last season. And Skinner didn’t give up 6 goals on 20 shots (or whatever it was against Ottawa) in the preseason. Thus the Oilers aren’t facing the same type of urgent pressure to acquire a goalie (read: they don’t have to give up Samorukov and a 1st anymore).

Soo far? Koskinen has yet to even start a game. Skinner has yet to play a regular season single minute. Your reasoning holds zero logic. Sorry

Smith was at minimum expected to at the least split the starts if not play more than Koskinen. I'd obvious lean to more since we tried to upgrade and move Koskinen while Smith got rewarded with a 2 year deal. Smith being on IR absolutely makes the goaltending picture more complicated.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Assuming the Habs continue to suck you could prbly get Chiarot at 50% ( 1.75 mill). But would likely be pricey given what Savard went for last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad