Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
actually I read this:

Justin Abdelkader, a combination of Gustav Nyquist/Tomas Tatar/Tomas Jurco, and either a first-round pick or a high-end prospect like Ryan Sproul, Calle Jarnkrok or Teemu Pulkkinen.

as Abdelkader+TWO of Nyquist/Tatar/Jurco+1st or other good prospect

"For Detroit to get him, it’d likely cost Justin Abdelkader, either one of Gustav Nyquist/Tomas Tatar/Tomas Jurco, and either a first-round pick or a high-end prospect like Ryan Sproul, Calle Jarnkrok or Teemu Pulkkinen."

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
"net-front" presence :laugh:

Big, physical, tenacious, gritty player that can score. We'd probably have to send some salary back. See ya Clears.

He is like Franzen to the fans of teams he plays for.

So much strength and potential... but the knock is he can be lazy and unmotivated or so it comes off that way.

Keep in mind its tough for a power forward to go out and knock guys around every shift for 82 games. No power forward is going to look like a power forward game in and game out.
He scores in bunches/slumps like Franzen too...

Interesting. Thanks guys

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He is like Franzen (is to some Red Wing) to the fans of teams he plays for.

So much strength and potential... but the knock is he can be lazy and unmotivated or so it comes off that way.

Keep in mind its tough for a power forward to go out and knock guys around every shift for 82 games. No power forward is going to look like a power forward game in and game out.
He scores in bunches/slumps like Franzen too...

at least Franzen is extremely consistent with his scoring paces from year to year,you might be frustrated with him at times but you pretty much know what you're getting with him year to year and it's pretty good(a 30 goal/60 point forward):

2008-09:
39 goal/68 point pace

2009-10:
30 goal/64 point pace

2010-11:
30 goal/59 point pace

2011-12:
31 goal/60 point pace

2012-13:
28 goal/62 point pace

2013-14:
30 goal/70 point pace

Stewart on the other hand is just all over the place and has had some truly awful years(including this one):

2008-09:
17 goal/29 point pace(his rookie year so he has a good excuse here)

2009-10:
30 goal/68 point pace

2010-11:
37 goal/70 point pace

2011-12:
16 goal/31 point pace

2012-13:
31 goal/62 point pace

2013-14:
21 goal/37 point pace

at his best he's another Franzen,at his worst he's downright awful and you just don't know what you're gonna get from year to year

big time pass on Stewart as far as i'm concerned

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
You can get a player better than Chris Stewart for that package. Franzen is a 30-goal scorer and there isn't much doubt about it, Stewart though could completely ruin team chemistry with his highly inconsistent nature... I'm a bit amazed St. Louis was able to get so much for him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
so you're desperate for right handed guys for balance but okay with having a top 6 full of natural centers?(I mean I wouldn't really count Nyquist even though he did used to be a Center but 4 of those are Centers including the entire top line and Franzen still has a lot of Center tendencies and sometimes plays it)

Yeah. Six centers is always better because they convert temporarily on wing. But wingers can't convert to center.

When two centers will get injured, you still have four good guys to roll on your most important position.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Yeah. And I want right-handed forwards, because we don't have those defencemen either. Alfie can do the point for maybe half + next season.

Kesler-trade + promoting Pulkkinen + Järnkrok + Sproul at season 2015-16 would be a huge step to right direction.

I see no need to pay the huge price that Kesler will command, especially as Weiss may recover to perform quite well.

I'm not sure the Wings are in the market for a forward. Definitely a depth defenseman, though. Thinking Matt Greene or Mike Weaver. Hoping for the former.

A non-rental defenseman should and will be Holland's top priority.

I'm pretty sure they don't want to make a division rival better. And I don't also want to see Mrazek playing against us in the near future.

By all indications, the Sabres don't particularly care whom they make better or worse. They're in full-speed-ahead rebuilding mode; all they're interested in is getting the best possible return. They won't be competitive for a few seasons yet, and with McDavid coming up in the 2015 draft, they most certainly won't be aiming to be successful next season.

I see everyone on this board really high on Stewart, but everywhere else not so much. What gives?

What gives is the desire for a bonafide power forward, but I'm not sure if those in favor of acquiring Stewart are entirely familiar with what the guy brings to the table. He's big, yes, and physical, and he can score. He's also a mediocre passer, awful in his own end, mistake-prone, and brutally inconsistent. He's also often lazy, and which point he becomes thoroughly invisible when he isn't screwing up; unlike Franzen, he's not very naturally talented, and so he needs to play a high-tempo, high-effort style in order to be effective. Needless to say, he's not always willing to do so, and then he becomes almost worse than useless.

In sum, those friends of mine who are fans of the Blues were not sorry to see him depart. Stewart can produce, but he's nowhere near a complete player; and as Holland tends to avoid players of questionable effort like the plague, I sincerely doubt that he'll even inquire about the guy. I'm not in the least bit unhappy about that.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I also think Stewart would be a terrible player for whom to trade major assets. If we're seriously considering some of the packages that have been proposed for Stewart, we'd be much better off targeting Edler or Kesler.

By all indications, the Sabres don't particularly care whom they make better or worse. They're in full-speed-ahead rebuilding mode; all they're interested in is getting the best possible return. They won't be competitive for a few seasons yet, and with McDavid coming up in the 2015 draft, they most certainly won't be aiming to be successful next season.

If anything, making their division more competitive benefits them for the next couple seasons because their draft position will be better. McDavid is one target but they have something like 11-12 1st and 2nd round picks in the next couple drafts.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
if we waste assets on stewart we are failures, huge mistake
moving a franchise goalie for a journeyman 3rd line power forward and including a good prospect and a 1st?

yuck

Stewart is appealing to many fans because they romanticize him as the big, physical scoring forward that he can play like when he's on the absolute top of his game.

But the fact is that you're not getting that player. He's useless more often than he is dominant.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Now is the worst possible time to trade Jarnkrok or Pulkkinen. They're taking their games to another level and we should wait and see what their ceilings and potential are before deciding to keep or trade them. It'd be a real shame if we traded them in the assumption that they would be 2nd/3rd line tweeners when they could develop into more than that.

Prospects/young players I'm willing to trade:

Tatar
Smith
Ouellet
Janmark
Athanasiou
Almquist
Frk

Prospects/young players I'm unwilling to trade:

Nyquist
Sproul
Jarnkrok
Pulkkinen
Backman
Mantha
Jurco
Sheahan
Mrazek

Last edited:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I've never understood the idea of trading Tatar. He's exactly what the Wings need. Agree with not trading Jarnkrok. A couple years ago we all were so high on him.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I've never understood the idea of trading Tatar. He's exactly what the Wings need. Agree with not trading Jarnkrok. A couple years ago we all were so high on him.

I put him on the possible trade list because he's more prominent and NHL ready than the other prospects so he'll bring a greater return.

And unless something goes terribly wrong somewhere, Jurco, Mantha and Nyquist have 3 of the 4 top 6 winger spots locked down. So who gets the 4th spot? I love Tatar's heart and tenacity but I would prefer Pulkkinen in that spot. He's improving tremendously and with his right handed shot (which is amazing:deadhorse) he could provide more versatility to the lineup. PP point, left side half-wall.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Tatar really has given us a dangerous 3rd line every time he's been in that role (last season and this year obviously.) He's a positive energy player and he's provided depth that we've sorely missed at times without him.

Honestly I'm very comfortable with our forward situation. I like our group as it is right now and there's obviously more upside with the potential additions of Zetterberg and Weiss (if he can get back to being a solid player), not to mention to continuing growth of all the young players (Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, and Glendening.)

Every team would love to have a Ryan Kesler, but I'm not sure if he's worth the cost that it'll take.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Tatar really has given us a dangerous 3rd line every time he's been in that role (last season and this year obviously.) He's a positive energy player and he's provided depth that we've sorely missed at times without him.

Honestly I'm very comfortable with our forward situation. I like our group as it is right now and there's obviously more upside with the potential additions of Zetterberg and Weiss (if he can get back to being a solid player), not to mention to continuing growth of all the young players (Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, and Glendening.)

Every team would love to have a Ryan Kesler, but I'm not sure if he's worth the cost that it'll take.

I know what you mean. I'm not all that keen on making a big trade right now. Edler or Ehrhoff are the only two I'm really interested in. Beyond that, I think we'd be better off sitting on the prospects until they get more experience and raise their value. Then we can decide who to trade and who to keep.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Stewart is appealing to many fans because they romanticize him as the big, physical scoring forward that he can play like when he's on the absolute top of his game.

But the fact is that you're not getting that player. He's useless more often than he is dominant.

Franzen is a ton more consistent in terms of the offense he brings, think about that for a second. Stewart is more consistent physically and will fight occasionally so maybe it gets him a pass, but considering how much people like to beat up Franzen for some of his uneven efforts, I shutter to think what happens when people figure out what Stewart is more often than not when he plays.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I love the energy and passion that Tatar brings, but he's still the most expendable out of that group.

Nyquist is just far too good to give up.

Sheahan is a center, and has played *amazingly.* We cannot afford to give away one of our top young center prospects, especially with Weiss still a question mark, Zetterberg out for the season, Datsyuk not at 100%, and both Z/D getting old old old.

Jurco's ceiling looks incredible. Fast, skilled, shot, big and not afraid to use it.

Obviously most of us prefer not to trade any of them, but for the proper return, I could part with Tatar more easily than the other three.

Brandel*

Here we go...

Penguins have offered Sutter, a 1st, a 3rd and either Despres/Dumoulin for Kesler

Brandel*

"Aside from the Penguins and Blackhawks, Kesler also would accept trades to Philadelphia and Detroit, the sources said."

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I know some of you guys don't like/want Kesler, but we can offer better and still be in great shape. We have such a good prospect pool it's absurd. Aren't we all wanting to get rid of some fowards? We have too many bottom end players too that we can un-load.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Kesler-Franzen
Jurco-Sheahan-Weiss
Miller-Helm-Glendening

Would be filthy and a good team for the next few years.

I'd offer Tatar, Abdelkader, Andersson, Kindl, 1st/2nd and see what happens. Add, subtract, idk.

IMO, if we were to acquire him, we'd be the deepest since 2002.

Last edited:

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
I know some of you guys don't like/want Kesler, but we can offer better and still be in great shape. We have such a good prospect pool it's absurd. Aren't we all wanting to get rid of some fowards anyways?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Kesler-Franzen
Jurco-Sheahan-Weiss
Miller-Helm-Glendening

Would be filthy and a good team for the next few years.

I'd offer Tatar, Andersson, Kindl, 1st/2nd and see what happens. Add, subtract, idk.

IMO, if we were to acquire him, we'd be the deepest since 2002.

I'd do it. But I'd rather get Edler tbh

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not interested in matching that offer.

It would be

1st, Sheahan, Sproul +

Or 1st, Helm, XO+ pretty steep.

Of course I think they would be more interested in some of the fire power we can offer, the Pens only have Bennett. Sutter is good player though but he is similar to Helm in terms of his line placement.

Sproul would be our big offensive gun, Pouliot (sp?) is the Pens.

I think if they go for Kesler we are looking at a huge package and it is a swoop for Kesler and Edler. Hard to imagine they can work it out, but my opinion is that is what they will talk about. Blowing up the farm or taking a significant chunk out of it would need to involve more than one otherwise it isn't an impact move that does enough and we are better off staying the course.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Tatar, Andersson, Kindl, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Smith, 2014 1st and 2014 2nd

for

Edler, Kesler and contract dump (if Vancouver is over limit)

Kind of helps clear up some of the logjam at offence and defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad