Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I believe their is a 1% chance at best if we dont trade for edler or ehrhoff now that we will do so in the summertime

i believe come summer all 28 other teams will be all over those two dmen if made available and still on their current teams, with more more money to afford them and more importantly more desire to improve do to a failed 2013-2014 season(only one team succeeds) ie, lets say pittsburgh fails to win the cup this year and learn letang is out longer, they will be all in and all over them and will be willing to offer more based on track record,

so if anyone thinks holland can or should or will wait till july to strike they're wrong and being naive

its ok if we dont do anything thats fine but it should be under the premise that we arent doing anything anytime in the next few years based on our passivity and not due to do the market as the market is what it is and will not change substantially at anytime

you have to strike when the other guy is at his weakest and for vancouver and buffalo thats right now and not dither around.

A lot of good points. The time is now on Edler for sure. It's the one move that can be addressed and it closes the door for the next 5 years in the top 4 need department.

Last edited:

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I think if Holland wants to do a "hockey" move, we're likely going to be pretty disappointed in the player he acquires. The types of players he's looking to move, likely, are going to be guys who won't bring back anything relevant. Maybe a team looks at Bert and decides he's a cheap veteran at the end of the line, and moves a piece to bring him in to piss people off and maybe help them offensively a tiny bit (assuming they think he is better than the horrible season he has had in Detroit), but what piece would they move for a guy like that? An equally bad contract? A conditional pick? Holland just isn't going to get a whole lot for him. Plus, he's got a no-trade clause. Maybe a team looks into acquiring a guy like Kindl or Quincey, but neither of those guys are going to net a phenomenal return either, and if you move one of those guys to ADDRESS improving the defense, what type of return can you really ask in return? Their value is just not that high, most likely.

If Holland makes a deal that involves Kindl or Quincey + a prospect + a pick, maybe he can bring someone in, but I just don't know how that would work. Maybe a trade that involves someone like Kindl for another team's young, disappointing prospect, or veteran d-man could be good just as a change of scenery type trade. I don't know, it just seems like Detroit isn't going to get much of anything in a pure "hockey trade".

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
A lot if good points. The time is now on Edler for sure. It's the one move that can be addressed and it closes the door for the next 5 years in the top 4 need department.

I feel like Detroit's need for a top 4 d-man is now, rather than later. In a few years you would think one or two of those prospects could step in and help in the top 4, but more than anything right now Detroit's lack of a top 4 d-man is apparent.

I don't know if Detroit needs a guy like Edler who will be on the team for another 5 years, while Kronwall and Ericsson are both signed up for that length, but I guess that's a problem to worry about later on. If Detroit's prospects develop, and obviously guys like Almquist, Oullet, Marchenko are all close to NHL level if not ready already, it's going to become a problem down the road when Detroit has 3 guys locked up over 4 million on defense, plus whatever Dekeyser is making, if Smith actually develops into the d-man Detroit wants him to be.

I wish Detroit could bring someone in on a deal similar to Quincey's, whether it's a RFA deal or like a 3 year deal. That way Detroit could be out of it in a couple years. Otherwise, it's going to be a bit tough to make it all work out figuring the guys develop.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Now is the worst possible time to trade Jarnkrok or Pulkkinen. They're taking their games to another level and we should wait and see what their ceilings and potential are before deciding to keep or trade them. It'd be a real shame if we traded them in the assumption that they would be 2nd/3rd line tweeners when they could develop into more than that.

Prospects/young players I'm willing to trade:

Tatar
Smith
Ouellet
Janmark
Athanasiou
Almquist
Frk

Prospects/young players I'm unwilling to trade:

Nyquist
Sproul
Jarnkrok
Pulkkinen
Backman
Mantha
Jurco
Sheahan
Mrazek

My lists would be similar but I'd put Mrazek in the tradeable category, and I want to keep Tatar.

Mrazek is full of potential but I don't see him reaching it in Detroit, he's just not going to get to play much in the next few years. The only problem is that despite his high potential it doesn't seem that prospect goalies hold much in the way of value.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I feel like Detroit's need for a top 4 d-man is now, rather than later. In a few years you would think one or two of those prospects could step in and help in the top 4, but more than anything right now Detroit's lack of a top 4 d-man is apparent.

I don't know if Detroit needs a guy like Edler who will be on the team for another 5 years, while Kronwall and Ericsson are both signed up for that length, but I guess that's a problem to worry about later on. If Detroit's prospects develop, and obviously guys like Almquist, Oullet, Marchenko are all close to NHL level if not ready already, it's going to become a problem down the road when Detroit has 3 guys locked up over 4 million on defense, plus whatever Dekeyser is making, if Smith actually develops into the d-man Detroit wants him to be.

I wish Detroit could bring someone in on a deal similar to Quincey's, whether it's a RFA deal or like a 3 year deal. That way Detroit could be out of it in a couple years. Otherwise, it's going to be a bit tough to make it all work out figuring the guys develop.

I think one of their "issues" they have internally is Smith. You see the way he played Wednesday and you slam dunk him in the top 4. I like the way Babcock is dealing with him. He's giving him important minutes but he's firm when he makes mistakes. He'll sit him in a heartbeat. It's nice to see the confidence he continues to play with. Good or bad, you want your younger D to not be afraid of making those mistakes. It's killing Kindl. I think acquiring Edler would just bring more competition and that's always a good thing.

Speaking of Kindl, he just desperately needs a change. Hopefully he gets that shot in Edmonton or another team that is desperate. He's done in Detroit unless something along the lines of the re-creation takes place.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I believe their is a 1% chance at best if we dont trade for edler or ehrhoff now that we will do so in the summertime

i believe come summer all 28 other teams will be all over those two dmen if made available and still on their current teams, with more more money to afford them and more importantly more desire to improve do to a failed 2013-2014 season(only one team succeeds) ie, lets say pittsburgh fails to win the cup this year and learn letang is out longer, they will be all in and all over them and will be willing to offer more based on track record,

so if anyone thinks holland can or should or will wait till july to strike they're wrong and being naive

its ok if we dont do anything thats fine but it should be under the premise that we arent doing anything anytime in the next few years based on our passivity and not due to do the market as the market is what it is and will not change substantially at anytime

you have to strike when the other guy is at his weakest and for vancouver and buffalo thats right now and not dither around.

If we go with this idea that there is almost always someone available and the price is usually going to be about the same, paying that price now or three months from now shouldn't be a big difference, no?

For what it's worth, I think you're right about a "top 3" guy almost always available and that prices usually hover around the same for whichever it is, but not all top3 guys are equal. I mean, just in this thread where we've talked about Edler and Ehrhoff, I would put Edler clearly above him, but both are "top 3" guys. so, yeah.

Agree that whether we make a move now potentially reflects just as much on our unwillingness to make a move as it does players available - outside of a team like Calgary just getting stupid greedy in negotiations.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No. Vanek is going to Minnesota at summer. Don't want these rentals, I would be interest only guys who'll promise an contract extension instantly after the trade or have extra contract years left.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
So you're telling me the Wings were not interested in Ryan Miller!?!?!?!? :laugh:

Of course they weren't. Why would you think they were? I'm sure they called just to see what Buffalo was asking for, as any good GM should do, but I doubt any sort of offer was made.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Thoughts?

Thoughts are that you should never, ever listen to Eklund. He's a quack, and I have no idea why people give him the time of day. Many years of experience should have long since convinced everybody that he isn't a reliable source, yet those seeking rumors grab at his headlines regularly. It's slightly frustrating.

Of course they weren't. Why would you think they were? I'm sure they called just to see what Buffalo was asking for, as any good GM should do, but I doubt any sort of offer was made.

As any good GM should do??? Given the price he was sure to demand, why would any team with solid goaltending bother to inquire about him? I seriously doubt that Holland and many other GMs bothered to do so.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If we go with this idea that there is almost always someone available and the price is usually going to be about the same, paying that price now or three months from now shouldn't be a big difference, no?

For what it's worth, I think you're right about a "top 3" guy almost always available and that prices usually hover around the same for whichever it is, but not all top3 guys are equal. I mean, just in this thread where we've talked about Edler and Ehrhoff, I would put Edler clearly above him, but both are "top 3" guys. so, yeah.

Agree that whether we make a move now potentially reflects just as much on our unwillingness to make a move as it does players available - outside of a team like Calgary just getting stupid greedy in negotiations.

yes guys are available all the time though i would speculate a team calling in july about kronwall out of the blue would find the price much steeper then a team calling about edler or ehrhoff right now given the nature of the situations(for sale sign up being the most important)

right now the momentum in buffalo for whole sale changes and a scorched earth policy is evident where picks and prospects rule the roost. in vancouver its a desire to change the complextion of the team while remaining competitive today AND building for the future more so then any other team out there

come summer time should both those two guys remain available from buffalo and vancouver every other team in the league will be all hands on deck whereas today its probably somewhat more limited due to cap space, desire to not rock the boat(anaheim), lack of need today(san jose) and being a bottom feeder(nyi) who dont normally take on salary or trade away youth at the deadline

right now vancouver and buffalo are at their weakest, they may not move either but should they then today is the time to strike

detroit needs a top 3 dman, none are available in free agency(which is always the wrong way to build a team unless your minnesota i guess) and we have struck out for years now in trying to meet that need

if kenny wont pony up now when the other guy is already down and the player is being made available(speculation of course) then their is no reasonable way to assume he will 4 months from now when the winds change a bit and not in our favour

the perfect cascade of events in our favour are at work rigth now

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If Holland is making a ''hockey trade'', I think he'll trade for a D. Look for Myers, Edler, and to a lesser extent McDonald. It will cost more for Myers, I think Edler could be had for some young scoring forwards (I won't venture a guess, there's too many to name) and McDonald could be had for Quincey and or picks.

crashman

Tatar and some picks , maybe kindl is all I'd do for edler

That's about what I was thinking, but even then, I'm still very leery of trading Tatar.

It's crazy because a year ago I would have traded Nyquist+ for Edler without much thought. Now, I honestly believe his value has almost surpassed that of Edler's.

I wish we could just throw a bunch of high round draft picks at Vancouver for Edler, because I don't want to give up any of our young guys.

iwtb*

Hell no for Edler trade. No need for another Swede when we already get bullied by every team. Someone like Myers or even Greene would be nice.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Hell no for Edler trade. No need for another Swede when we already get bullied by every team. Someone like Myers or even Greene would be nice.

Our team getting bullied has nothing to do with Swedes.

iwtb*

It's not about physicality. It's about toughness and ability to drop gloves if needed. But end of story I know you do not appreciate toughness and fighting in this board and maybe it's time for me to move on also. Hockey goes on and we will never have those golden times back when no one ****ed with Red Wings.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
yes guys are available all the time though i would speculate a team calling in july about kronwall out of the blue would find the price much steeper then a team calling about edler or ehrhoff right now given the nature of the situations(for sale sign up being the most important)

right now the momentum in buffalo for whole sale changes and a scorched earth policy is evident where picks and prospects rule the roost. in vancouver its a desire to change the complextion of the team while remaining competitive today AND building for the future more so then any other team out there

come summer time should both those two guys remain available from buffalo and vancouver every other team in the league will be all hands on deck whereas today its probably somewhat more limited due to cap space, desire to not rock the boat(anaheim), lack of need today(san jose) and being a bottom feeder(nyi) who dont normally take on salary or trade away youth at the deadline

right now vancouver and buffalo are at their weakest, they may not move either but should they then today is the time to strike

detroit needs a top 3 dman, none are available in free agency(which is always the wrong way to build a team unless your minnesota i guess) and we have struck out for years now in trying to meet that need

if kenny wont pony up now when the other guy is already down and the player is being made available(speculation of course) then their is no reasonable way to assume he will 4 months from now when the winds change a bit and not in our favour

the perfect cascade of events in our favour are at work rigth now

I doubt we'll get a top 3 defenceman in free agency as well, but I can't see how we land either without losing a couple of young players currently playing very well for us.

Are we better off with one of them bolstering our back end if it costs us some combination of Tatar, Nyquist, Dekeyser, Jurco, and Sheahan, plus pick(s) and possibly a prospect who hasn't gotten a chance at the NHL level yet?

Ehrhoff could probably be acquired cheaper than Edler, but if you put him in and lose any one of the guys I listed are we a much better team? I'm not so sure we are.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
It's not about physicality. It's about toughness and ability to drop gloves if needed. But end of story I know you do not appreciate toughness and fighting in this board and maybe it's time for me to move on also. Hockey goes on and we will never have those golden times back when no one ****ed with Red Wings.

Ah, cave man logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad