Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Speculation on Kesler trade price (by St. James, so grain of salt):

Eff that.

Ehh depends on which combination it would take to get it done.

But personally I would do Abby + Tatar + a 1st for Ryan Kesler all day. Without batting an eyelash.

And I love Tatar and his play style too.

If they wanted Nyquist +Sproul + 1st then I say helllll nooo. Or Jurco same thing.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Which is exactly why I think losing a prospect like Pulkkinen to upgrade the blueline makes a lot of sense.

This is exactly what I have been saying for over a year now. Bring in a very good right handed dman who can run the powerplay if at all possible. If not then a very good lefty dman. Somehow we need a good righty on the point in he powerplay, perhaps pulkinen could play it. I think he could be great at it....

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Ehh depends on which combination it would take to get it done.

But personally I would do Abby + Tatar + a 1st for Ryan Kesler all day. Without batting an eyelash.

And I love Tatar and his play style too.

If they wanted Nyquist +Sproul + 1st then I say helllll nooo. Or Jurco same thing.

actually I read this:

Justin Abdelkader, a combination of Gustav Nyquist/Tomas Tatar/Tomas Jurco, and either a first-round pick or a high-end prospect like Ryan Sproul, Calle Jarnkrok or Teemu Pulkkinen.

as Abdelkader+TWO of Nyquist/Tatar/Jurco+1st or other good prospect

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
actually I read this:

Justin Abdelkader, a combination of Gustav Nyquist/Tomas Tatar/Tomas Jurco, and either a first-round pick or a high-end prospect like Ryan Sproul, Calle Jarnkrok or Teemu Pulkkinen.

That is how I took it too. No way would I do it if I were GM.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That is how I took it too. No way would I do it if I were GM.

actually I read this:

Ohh! My bad, think you guys are right.

Yeah there's no way I'd do that either.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
actually I read this:

:shakehead

Not worth Kesler with his injury history. Too much. They'd have to throw in someone else and take Weiss off Detroit's hands.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
well we ahve read that they would need a roster player, top prospect and a 1st rd pick, so three assets not four

cant see any team giving up two nhl ready top prospects on top of a roster player and a 1st for kesler

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Only two of those guys are right-handed. Pulkkinen and Järnkrok. Before both are NHL ready, also our only RH TOP6 forward Alfredsson is gone.

I'd keep them both to get finally some home-grown handness solutions with TOP6 potential. So sick with the group full of lefties. Bottom6 handnesses arenät so important, even though Callahan and Ferraro could help on that area. They are more tradeable.

I don't really think lefties up front have been a problem for us:

07-08:
Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom
Franzen-Filppula-Samuelsson

08-09:
Hossa-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

11-12:
Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler

13-14: Alfie and Luke are the only righties right now I believe in the lineup

Our two Finals appearances featured only one righty who seen Top 6 time. The same thing the past 2 years. I couldn't even tell you the last time we've had 2 or more righties in the Top 6? Maybe in 06 when Shanny was still here?

It's really not a big deal or a disadvantage at even strength IMO. On the PP it definitely makes a difference because you're running set plays and trying to set up one-timers, but it's not worth potentially improving your team via trade just to keep a potential righty.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
13-14: Alfie and Luke are the only righties right now I believe in the lineup

Eaves.

Our two Finals appearances featured only one righty who seen Top 6 time. The same thing the past 2 years. I couldn't even tell you the last time we've had 2 or more righties in the Top 6? Maybe in 06 when Shanny was still here?

Righties on defense are more important. The 1997, 1998, and 2002 teams had plenty of them; Bowman always liked to have a righty and a lefty on each pairing. In 2008, there was only Rafalski, but he was an excellent puck-moving guy.

It's really not a big deal or a disadvantage at even strength IMO. On the PP it definitely makes a difference because you're running set plays and trying to set up one-timers, but it's not worth potentially improving your team via trade just to keep a potential righty.

On defense, it's very useful to have lefties play on the left and righties on the right. This allows for much better puck protection and a tremendously easier time in both sending the puck up the boards and stopping the puck along the boards. On the power play, it's helpful for the cycle and to get good shots off, but the highly effective tandem of Lidstrom and Schneider showed that two lefties can still get it done. Then again, Lidstrom was Lidstrom, and Schneider had a wicked shot, and the tandem of Lidstrom and Rafalski was even more effective.

The Wings are the most left-handed team in the league and have been for some time. While that is by no means crippling, I think it's logical that a less homogeneous mix would be beneficial.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We have won a Stanley Cup with a left-handed power-play, I know that. But I want to see those right-handers here now, in these parity days without Lidströms and Rafalskis on the back end. No more space to give this disadvantage to opposite teams.

Keep the best guys. Trade guys with some weaknesses (in our roster) but who fit better to other organizations (with size and handnesses).

I think Vancouver would want at least Jurco for Kesler. And I don't know what to think about it. But...

...Abdelkader + Tatar + 2015 1st and I'm all in. Would not mind if also Ferraro goes in same deal.

Next year:
Zeta - Datsyuk - Kesler
Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen
Jurco - Sheahan - Alfie?
Andersson - Helm - Callahan
(Ferraro, Miller)

Last edited:

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
We have won a Stanley Cup with a left-handed power-play, I know that. But I want to see those right-handers here now, in these parity days without Lidströms and Rafalskis on the back end. No more space to give this disadvantage to opposite teams.

The forwards were left-handed. The defensemen were not. Every Stanley Cup-winning team had at least one key right-handed defenseman.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The forwards were left-handed. The defensemen were not. Every Stanley Cup-winning team had at least one key right-handed defenseman.

Yeah. And I want right-handed forwards, because we don't have those defencemen either. Alfie can do the point for maybe half + next season.

Kesler-trade + promoting Pulkkinen + Järnkrok + Sproul at season 2015-16 would be a huge step to right direction.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Who Wants Stew?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444961
Story on TSN main page right now, LeBrun hinting Sabres are trying to flip Stewart right away before wednesday deadline.

Perfect fit for Detroit, Big right handed winger, under contract next year, and only 26 years old. Works on a lot of levels.

They would probably be interested in Mrazek, some of our high end forward prospects and our higher round draft picks.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Unless Weiss is going back the other way. It's not even worth discussing Kesler. Gator isn't gonna get traded either.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Story on TSN main page right now, LeBrun hinting Sabres are trying to flip Stewart right away before wednesday deadline.

Perfect fit for Detroit, Big right handed winger, under contract next year, and only 26 years old. Works on a lot of levels.

They would probably be interested in Mrazek, some of our high end forward prospects and our higher round draft picks.

I'm pretty sure they don't want to make a division rival better. And I don't also want to see Mrazek playing against us in the near future.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

They would probably be interested in Mrazek, some of our high end forward prospects and our high picks.

I'd be all in for Stewart. Perhaps Mrazek, Ferraro/Athanasiou and a 2nd round pick.

Gator-Helm-Stewart would be a punishing line.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I'd be all in for Stewart. Perhaps Mrazek, Ferraro/Athanasiou and a 2nd round pick.

Gator-Helm-Stewart would be a punishing line.

Reasonable, but probably a little light. I think they would be pushing for a higher end forward... like Jarnkrok or Pulks. Or maybe make 2nd rounder a first.

Mrazek, Pulks and a 2nd.
Or
Mrazek, Athanasiou and a 1st.

Henkka right now the top candidate for Stewart is apparently Ottawa... also same division. And Ottawa has a boatload to offer right now. Hello Lehner.

Newf will like the idea of Stewart I'm sure.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Keep the best guys. Trade guys with some weaknesses (in our roster) but who fit better to other organizations (with size and handnesses).

I think Vancouver would want at least Jurco for Kesler. And I don't know what to think about it. But...

...Abdelkader + Tatar + 2015 1st and I'm all in. Would not mind if also Ferraro goes in same deal.

Next year:
Zeta - Datsyuk - Kesler
Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen
Jurco - Sheahan - Alfie?
Andersson - Helm - Callahan
(Ferraro, Miller)

so you're desperate for right handed guys for balance but okay with having a top 6 full of natural centers?(I mean I wouldn't really count Nyquist even though he did used to be a Center but 4 of those are Centers including the entire top line and Franzen still has a lot of Center tendencies and sometimes plays it)

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
I see everyone on this board really high on Stewart, but everywhere else not so much. What gives?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I see everyone on this board really high on Stewart, but everywhere else not so much. What gives?

He is like Franzen to the fans of teams he plays for.

So much strength and potential... but the knock is he can be lazy and unmotivated or so it comes off that way.

Keep in mind its tough for a power forward to go out and knock guys around every shift for 82 games. No power forward is going to look like a power forward game in and game out.
He scores in bunches/slumps like Franzen too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad