Confirmed with Link: PLD TRADED TO WASHINGTON for Darcy Kuemper

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kingkopitar

Jan 10, 2017
Caps fan coming to say I hope the Kings plan is to buy out Kuemper. You cannot put him on the ice and hope to win. He’s terrible. Carberry wouldn’t even play him in second games of back to backs. Lindgren would play both.

I understand you are happy to get rid of PLD. But if you thing this does anything than make you worse, it will be a long three years.
kings fan here. PLD is the worst player I have ever seen in my 25 years of watching hockey.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Alexander Frolov's birthday was yesterday.

I'm convinced he made a birthday wish for this which is the only logical reasoning for a GM being dumb enough to take PLD and his entire contract.

So thank you Fro!

gettyimages-73414922-2048x2048.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: tigermask48

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Caps fan coming to say I hope the Kings plan is to buy out Kuemper. You cannot put him on the ice and hope to win. He’s terrible. Carberry wouldn’t even play him in second games of back to backs. Lindgren would play both.

I understand you are happy to get rid of PLD. But if you thing this does anything than make you worse, it will be a long three years.
It probably makes more sense to bury him in the AHL so his cap hit is roughly 4 million for 3 years instead of 2.1, 3.6, 4.4, followed by 3 years at 0.9. Also, at Kuemper's age, LTIR is a distinct possibility.

I hope the Caps are able to buyout PLD before he turns 26.

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I get that you're happy Kuemper's gone, but we aren't going over to your board saying your team got worse and you'll have a long seven years.

So go away with your passive aggressive trolling.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I get that you're happy Kuemper's gone, but we aren't going over to your board saying your team got worse and you'll have a long seven years.

So go away with your passive aggressive trolling.
I'd be pissed too if my GM was dumb enough to willingly trade for the worst contract in the NHL after coming off a career worst season.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Is it just me or are people really over-stating how bad Kuemper is??

Yeah he had a sh*t year last year but that was also on a pretty terrible Capitals team. Even good goalies typically have a down year or two here and there over the years. He's been good/great much more consistently throughout his career than he's been bad.

Also as much as many of us might dislike the system LA plays, it's been proven to be very goaltender friendly. Any system that can turn 36 year old Cam Talbot into an all star is surely one that can help Kuemper have a bounce back season or two (no offense to Cam).

But the thing is, even if Kuemper doesn't bounce back this is still a good deal for LA. They can give Kuemper a shot next season and if he doesn't deliver he only has 2 years left on his contract (after next season) - You can trade a contract like that to a rebuilding team without having to give up too much. Or bury it in the AHL. Or buy out the contract. Or it could end up being an LTIR contract depending on Kuemper's health. All of those options are infinitely better than being stuck with PLD for 7 more seasons.

Last edited:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I'd be pissed too if my GM was dumb enough to willingly trade for the worst contract in the NHL after coming off a career worst season.
Yep, we have a (checks the "Dubois" thread) 70 page thread (good lord) discussing him and his crap.
Can totally understand the anger of Caps fans misdirected or otherwise.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The Caps fans are saying the same of optimism for Kuemper on this board. Both players are complete trash.
I have no optimism for Kuemper. Even if we traded PLD for a severed penis that was doused with gasoline and set on fire that came with 5.25million dollar cap hit for three years I'd consider it a giant win.

Good news! We don't hope to win until Blake and Robitaille are fired. ;) I hope Kuemper starts every game and loses them all. As long of a 3 years as it may be, staring at 7 more years of PLD was WAY worse.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021

Yeah he had a sh*t year last year but that was also on a pretty terrible Capitals team. Even good goalies typically have a down year or two here and there over the years. He's been good/great much more consistently throughout his career than he's been bad.

Also as much as many of us might dislike the system LA plays, it's been proven to be very goaltender friendly. Any system that can turn 36 year old Cam Talbot into an all star is surely one that can help Kuemper have a bounce back season or two (no offense to Cam).

But the thing is, even if Kuemper doesn't bounce back this is still a good deal for LA. They can give Kuemper a shot next season and if he doesn't deliver he only has 2 years left on his contract (after next season) - You can trade a contract like that to a rebuilding team without having to give up too much. Or bury it in the AHL. Or buy out the contract. Or it could end up being an LTIR contract depending on Kuemper's health. All of those options are infinitely better than being stuck with PLD for 7 more seasons.
Kuemper became a dad right when the season started. He gave up about 1 goal less per game at home than on the road. His struggles may have been related to less sleep while at home and missing his family while on the road. That is the optimistic take on his struggles.

Jun 30, 2006

I thought it was particularly interesting that our GM is still talking to Talbot and didn’t really play up the acquisition of Kuemper.

Hopefully we didn’t just trade for a Cal Petersen, which is what kicked off a revolving door of goalies the last few years.

Alexander Frolov's birthday was yesterday.

I'm convinced he made a birthday wish for this which is the only logical reasoning for a GM being dumb enough to take PLD and his entire contract.

So thank you Fro!

View attachment 884751
That breakaway vs Vancouver….dammit Frolov!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I have to assume that this trade means that Nicklas Backstrom has played his last game. The Caps should rebuild, but can't until OV breaks the record. Getting Dubois gives them some more depth at center for the time being.

The Caps are trapped by Ovechkin's record chase. They should not have made the playoffs this year, and were immediately bounced out in the first round. That's not a good team, and swapping two underperformers with negative value looks to me like a bad move they'll regret for years.
Both teams helped each other out. Caps took PLD off their hands and the Kings took Kuemper off the Caps hands. Byfield can now play the 1C for a whole season and the Caps can move forward with their younger goalies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Carbery not playing Kuemper in the 2nd game of a back2back, only happened once towards very end of the season. So the way you saying it is a bit exaggerated as the Caps were trying to make the playoffs. Also, when Kings pick up new goalies, their numbers usually improve. Cam Talbot's previous year with the Sens, he had a 2.93 GAA and a .898 SV% in 36 games. With the Kings, 2.50 GAA and a .913 SV% in 54 games. For a long time the Kings have had a defense first mentality, which has helped with whomever was in net, have better numbers. Even a goalie like Copley had his best numbers playing for the Kings, after leaving the Caps and being in the AHL for a couple years before coming back.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I dunno man. PLD may well bounce back and get 60 points but they're as empty as Andreas Athanasiou's offense.

He'll score, but he's the easiest dude in the world to play against. He might do well insulated on the wing on some team but if he has to be relied on in any way expect a total collapse. Softest big man I've ever seen. Picks on shitty comp, absolute trash against anyone with a pulse.

If he figures it out down the road, great. I'm rooting for him, he's a nice guy. But what I saw last season made me pine for Kings-era Jeremy Roenick.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Both teams helped each other out. Caps took PLD off their hands and the Kings took Kuemper off the Caps hands. Byfield can now play the 1C for a whole season and the Caps can move forward with their younger goalies.
I get that, but it's not like Lindgren is a spring chicken. I just found out that he is 30 and on his third franchise.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

There is another factor that most ppl don't know about that affected Kuemper's game. Goalie Coaching. Caps goalie coach Scott Murray is okay with younger goalies, but when it comes to vet goalies like Holtby/Kuemper, the results have not been good. I bring this up because a goalie coach is like a QB coach in football. They have to have good chemistry, to help the player succeed.

Reactions: fivehole32

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Carbery not playing Kuemper in the 2nd game of a back2back, only happened once towards very end of the season. So the way you saying it is a bit exaggerated as the Caps were trying to make the playoffs. Also, when Kings pick up new goalies, their numbers usually improve. Cam Talbot's previous year with the Sens, he had a 2.93 GAA and a .898 SV% in 36 games. With the Kings, 2.50 GAA and a .913 SV% in 54 games. For a long time the Kings have had a defense first mentality, which has helped with whomever was in net, have better numbers. Even a goalie like Copley had his best numbers playing for the Kings, after leaving the Caps and being in the AHL for a couple years before coming back.
His last game was mid March against Edmonton. There were games Lindgren got absolutely shelled, he still came back with Lindgren the next game.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I get that, but it's not like Lindgren is a spring chicken. I just found out that he is 30 and on his third franchise.
Caps will have him pegged as their short-term #1. They have 3 goalie in their system that are either ready to backup(Hunter Shepard) or are their future #1's(Clay Stevenson, Mitchell Gibson).

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
His last game was mid March against Edmonton. There were games Lindgren got absolutely shelled, he still came back with Lindgren the next game.
The team either won games by narrow margins or lost getting blown out. Uh, Lindgren by that time showed to be the more consistent goaltender. You stick with whomever gives the best chance to win games.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Another angle I think the Caps are taking with PLD is someone to center Ovi. Ovi is close to the goal scoring record. Chasing greatness puts butts in the seats. Kuz is traded and Backstrom is often injured now. So, they need an offensive center. As someone else noted it also puts them toward the cap floor once they decided to turn over the roster and go with young guys.

As far as Kuemper, I have no issues with him. He is a much better option than trading more draft capital or prospects to get out of PLD's contract. At least Kuemper isn't a "top six forward" poisoning your dressing room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad