Playoffs: whom to cheer, whom to jeer

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Insanity to waste those prime years without a goalie. Imagine if they felt comfortable to open up earlier in games...

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
So impressed with Florida this season. I know they've got that dirty/scumbag rep, but I flat out respect it. They were the only team that actively scared me this season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So impressed with Florida this season. I know they've got that dirty/scumbag rep, but I flat out respect it. They were the only team that actively scared me this season.

Well they have that rep because they are dirty and have several scumbags on their team. Great team but too many dirty players for me to root for them.

Hopefully with the likely sweep of the Oilers they won't renew Holland's contract and some new GM will come in with a plan that doesn't rely so heavily on "McDrai will outscore all our problems."

Then I can root for them to go all the way. Especially if they don't re-sign that shitbag Perry.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Red Wings was last team that swiped his opponent and they did it 2 years in the rows against Washington and Philadelphia

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Maybe it's just a result of watching the NHL since the 70s and the Flyers' influence at that time, but I don't find Florida to be a dirty or despicable team at all and only Tkachuk to be an unlikeable d-bag. Considering his DNA he probably can't help it., apple not falling far from the tree. Barkov is one of the classiest players in the league and only Ekblad is at all borderline nasty among their D. Bennett is just a good old-fashioned hardass that any team would want. They've been built almost exclusively by good trades and acquisitions rather than benefitting in the Draft by being terrible, so that's enough for me to prefer they win. They don't coast on their talent, they mostly just outwork and outlast other teams thanks to their depth and goaltending. They play with a kind of arrogance that's easy to dislike in a Divisional opponent, and get chippy and whiny when things don't go their way, but hardly the first really good team to play that way.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Maybe it's just a result of watching the NHL since the 70s and the Flyers' influence at that time, but I don't find Florida to be a dirty or despicable team at all and only Tkachuk to be an unlikeable d-bag. Considering his DNA he probably can't help it., apple not falling far from the tree. Barkov is one of the classiest players in the league and only Ekblad is at all borderline nasty among their D. Bennett is just a good old-fashioned hardass that any team would want. They've been built almost exclusively by good trades and acquisitions rather than benefitting in the Draft by being terrible, so that's enough for me to prefer they win. They don't coast on their talent, they mostly just outwork and outlast other teams thanks to their depth and goaltending. They play with a kind of arrogance that's easy to dislike in a Divisional opponent, and get chippy and whiny when things don't go their way, but hardly the first really good team to play that way.

I agree about Tkachuk but disagree Bennett is not just a good old fashioned hardass. He's a dirty player. And Cousins is even dirtier and a turtle on top of it.

I grew up watching 80s hockey but someone like Cousins would've got the snot beat out of him on the regular even as he tried to turtle. I like hard nosed hockey but those three are gutless rats.

I'm a big fan of Barkov but can't root for those rats to win the Cup.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I agree about Tkachuk but disagree Bennett is not just a good old fashioned hardass. He's a dirty player. And Cousins is even dirtier and a turtle on top of it.

I grew up watching 80s hockey but someone like Cousins would've got the snot beat out of him on the regular even as he tried to turtle. I like hard nosed hockey but those three are gutless rats.

I'm a big fan of Barkov but can't root for those rats to win the Cup.

You're right about Cousins, I'd forgotten him. But agree to disagree about Bennett. I'd be thrilled if Kasper can turn into a similar player.

Reactions: DamonDRW

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If Edmonton manages to come back and beat Florida it confirms to me that the NHL is rigged and I'm not sure I'll watch another game. My ability to suspend belief only goes so far.

their Hall of Fame GM Ken Holland is singlehandedly willing them to victory

McDavid wasn't scoring at the start of the series but Holland went to him and said "I want to make Roomba With a Bauer cry" and then McDavid said "yeah I kinda do too"

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Comet is still my top choice but seems unlikely to pull out the series.

There is something to be said for watching the rats on Florida suffer the epic choke of all chokes. And it's pretty clear Edmonton still lives or dies by McDavid.

Plus maybe it would quell some of the whining about the state tax advantage? (I know I know, I'm dreaming on that one).

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Well so much for Panthers in 5 and Bobrovsky has turned into swiss cheese. I'd be sweating if I were a Panthers fan.

I'm sure they are.

I think Bob comes out and dominates in game 6. I think a little bit was water finding its level. He was standing on his head for several games in a row

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
I thought the Bettman narrative was that he wanted Southern US teams to win at all costs over traditional hockey markets to grow the game? Hence the salary cap and revenue sharing from the big 3 Cdn markets and NY to pump up those franchise's..

Partially. But they want a team from the South not already in a saturated market to win. Tampa dominated for nearly a decade. The way the league will see it… that’s Florida covered. The Panthers winning too does nothing for them.

Whereas the return of Edmonton to relevancy, to have their new Crosby in McDavid finally win his Cup… that’s gotta have them salivate too.

Were Carolina or Dallas or Nashville in the Cup Final here… that’s new markets without major success recently. If a SoCal team was able to do anything again.

The league will certainly want to be able to put McDavid back at the forefront of their branding and a Conn Smythe level Cup run to break the Canadian Cup drought is manna from heaven

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad