Playoff Watch 2021

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2002
This is why we have the last column on the chart to interpret the PT+ number. I really don’t see anyone doing what you’re describing, assuming the games in hand are wins.
Find every time we've ever talked about trying to catch up to a team and/or hold off some team. There's scores of them across the years. Hell, 2018 was replete with them down the stretch when we were talking about holding off Colorado. We start talking games in hand, someone wants to treat them as full wins and make conclusions accordingly and we don't discuss the possibility that we might piss those away.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Pos
Team
PT+GRRWROWMax PTS
Colorado
+17
Vegas
+14
Minnesota
+12
Arizona
+2
St. Louis
+1
San Jose
+1
Los Angeles
Anaheim
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Let's welcome the San Jose Sharks to the playoff chase. GDI. The only thing that makes this better is Anaheim beating Arizona.

If it wasn't evident before, we're in trouble.
Any interest in adding a magic number column? It’s a lot simpler since there aren’t cross-divisional wildcards to deal with.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Find every time we've ever talked about trying to catch up to a team and/or hold off some team. There's scores of them across the years. Hell, 2018 was replete with them down the stretch when we were talking about holding off Colorado. We start talking games in hand, someone wants to treat them as full wins and make conclusions accordingly and we don't discuss the possibility that we might piss those away.
You have a tendency lately to sound grumpy over hypothetical arguments no one is actually making here and now. Criticism of ROR’s captaincy, full crediting games in hand, etc. I’m sure people have said all manner of dumb stuff over the years, but why pre-emptively bitch about it? And if it’s just one bozo saying it, maybe easier to ignore him. There are enough dumb things actually being posted that it’s impossible to keep up with it, and even less rewarding to try.

Reactions: mike1320
Dec 15, 2002
You have a tendency lately to sound grumpy over hypothetical arguments no one is actually making here and now. Criticism of ROR’s captaincy, full crediting games in hand, etc. I’m sure people have said all manner of dumb stuff over the years, but why pre-emptively bitch about it? And if it’s just one bozo saying it, maybe easier to ignore him. There are enough dumb things actually being posted that it’s impossible to keep up with it, and even less rewarding to try.
I have a tendency to notice how Blues Nation works, how things have gone around here for the better part of 19 years, and the (lack of) logic that occasionally gets used in dropping hot takes.

There was a criticism of ROR's captaincy after 6 games this season. Yes, no shit - it took 6 games into ROR's captaincy for the first questions to come up. I remember it that specifically because I was shocked it came up that quickly. If I'm particularly interested, I'll go dig it back out. Perhaps someone else remembers this and they'll go find it first. I decided to go find it. Yes, 6 f***ing games and someone wanted to know if ROR was the right guy to lead this team. If it's already happened, it's a matter of time before someone else does it again. I didn't raise it because I was trying to stir shit. I raised it because it was already raised and I know how over time we start dragging whoever the captain is (at times mercilessly) for a lack of winning, I'm hard-pressed to believe it
won't happen again in our current situation no matter how little sense it really makes.

Brian and I talked about games in hand a little while back, and I specifically said don't bank on them. That's where I mentioned us having done it in 2004-05 with catching Detroit. That's just the most recent time I've taken the idea of relying on games in hand as some given W head-on. I did it late in 2018. I did it other times before that. Don't worry, it'll happen again. People will make assumptions about those games in hand as if they're practically locks. I'll be there to call it out again, too.

You keep attributing things to me like I've said it in total seriousness and/or I'm making shit up just to stir the pot without any basis for making the comments I do. I don't. If I state it, it's because someone else has so there's precedence for it. If I'm serious, there won't be any question about it. If anything, I go way out of the way to preface when a comment is not what I really think. If you think the "solution" to this for me is "put people on ignore" that seems to be a pretty poor way to go IMO. Maybe the better route would be for others to quit doing this kind of stuff and think a little more critically instead of being superficial and shallow with thoughts. Or, those who don't like me doing it can put me on ignore. Whatever works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranksu

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I got some flack when I suggested the Sharks would get into the race about a month ago. They’re playing better. But if you put Arizona, San Jose, LA and the Blues into a tournament, I’d bet on the Blues. Yes I know the schedule is not easy, but it’s also not impossible. A lot of the teams in the chase have to play each other. It’s going to come down to whether the Blues can accrue points vs Minnesota or not. Get 60% of those points and I think it will be enough with the rest of the schedule.

if Parayko was healthy, I’d agree

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
We have a Cup in my lifetime. I got to watch a parade down Market. I'm good for a while.

We waited 50 years for a Cup, we can suffer through this coming summer and prepare for our next run at it.

I always remind myself that this just entertainment...albeit a more "vested" form of it. I heard the hated Mark Stone say as much in an interview recently. At the end of the day "our guys" just didn't have it this season. There's always next season...

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
It's a shame that we won't get to see this roster at its fullest potential, I think it really could have been something. But it is what it is.

I still think we have a greater chance of making the playoffs than missing, but it's getting closer to 50/50.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It's a shame that we won't get to see this roster at its fullest potential, I think it really could have been something. But it is what it is.

I still think we have a greater chance of making the playoffs than missing, but it's getting closer to 50/50.
What are you talking about? Full potential?

Dec 15, 2002

I'd put us at 35-40%. Optimistically we need 21 points in 19 games to get to 59, and even then we're going to have to be clear outright because we currently trail Arizona and Los Angeles on regulation wins. (If we're tied with San Jose, we're tied on RW but up on ROW. For now.) We need all 6 points against Anaheim (2 games) and Arizona (1 game) and then to go .500 on point percentage against the top-3 to get there, and that still leaves Los Angeles to end the season which could be for a playoff spot.

Not impossible, we've done more difficult, but 2-7-4 over the last 13 with both wins against San Jose doesn't scream "this team is ready to reel of some wins against the division's best." We have to split the next 4 with at least 2 wins. We don't get that, we should be hitting the SELL button.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
What are you talking about? Full potential?
We won't get to see the Blues icing a team with all the main guys in the lineup. It's still possible for us to see a full roster minus Sundqvist, depending on if Parayko can get back to 100% before the end of the year and nobody else gets hurt. But the team isn't the same without Sundqvist, he's too important to the team. This is why I say we won't get to see the team at its full potential.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Hard to be at full potential when your #1 D and one of your most important physical guys are both out

We won't get to see the Blues icing a team with all the main guys in the lineup. It's still possible for us to see a full roster minus Sundqvist, depending on if Parayko can get back to 100% before the end of the year and nobody else gets hurt. But the team isn't the same without Sundqvist, he's too important to the team. This is why I say we won't get to see the team at its full potential.
How team hold up Cup in run when we had injuries in regular season?

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
How team hold up Cup in run when we had injuries in regular season?
I'm not comparing this year to any other year, I'm just saying that it's disappointing that we won't get to see this team fully healthy. I think it had a lot of potential, but we will never know, as I doubt we bring back the same team next year.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Stick a fork in them
What about a dagger?
PeriodicEntireFlea-small.gif

Reactions: MissouriMook

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
This is not the year to get a high pick. There are a few players that could be good to grab in the top-10, but none are super stars and only maybe the top-5 are for sure difference-makers.

Beniers is the only one in the top of the draft that I think has a strong chance to be a great player, but Power, Lysell, Guenther, Clarke, Eklund, and Sillinger will all be players — just not sure how good they top out as.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This is not the year to get a high pick. There are a few players that could be good to grab in the top-10, but none are super stars and only maybe the top-5 are for sure difference-makers.

Beniers is the only one in the top of the draft that I think has a strong chance to be a great player, but Power, Lysell, Guenther, Clarke, Eklund, and Sillinger will all be players — just not sure how good they top out as.
Seems like no real prize for winning lottery but if we end up picking in top 5 should get really good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad