Playoff Watch 2021

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Supposedly Minnesota was the big favorite a handful of days ago. (I don't follow the site, I don't log what it says from day to day; just going off a remark I saw elsewhere on the main boards.) If that was correct, then I might suggest if your model is swinging that hard that quickly, perhaps something might be wrong with your model.
I think your information is suspect here. The only time I’ve seen a favorite like this was Tampa when they were on their run.

Dec 15, 2002
This was Dom’s model he publishes in the Athletic, not Moneypuck. I’m not familiar with the volatility of Moneypuck’s model, but Dom’s hasn’t been flipping around rapidly.
OK. I don't follow either, so ...

Yes, it's still on my radar to dig out something I built years back and toyed around with and was half-happy with, but noted things I needed to correct to get it to where I thought it was usable. I may have to consider going back to it again and trying to get it to where I wanted it to be, then enhance it some more from there

Dec 15, 2002
We will stay in a top-4 position a little longer. Colorado is going to polish off Arizona, keeping them a point back.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
OK. I don't follow either, so ...

Yes, it's still on my radar to dig out something I built years back and toyed around with and was half-happy with, but noted things I needed to correct to get it to where I thought it was usable. I may have to consider going back to it again and trying to get it to where I wanted it to be, then enhance it some more from there
I had a buddy who was an actuary who built a model for ranking college football teams completely based off in-season stars. All teams start tied. We used to celebrate every year when the teams all became connected.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman
Dec 15, 2002
I had a buddy who was an actuary who built a model for ranking college football teams completely based off in-season stars. All teams start tied. We used to celebrate every year when the teams all became connected.
Did he creep you out when you two spent a lot of time together and he was always staring at your shoes?

Dec 15, 2002
Pos
Team
PT+GRRWROWMax PTS
Colorado
+16
Vegas
+15
Minnesota
+11
Arizona
+2
St. Louis
+2
San Jose
E
Los Angeles
Anaheim
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yes, that would be yours, mine, everyone's St. Louis Blues now sitting out of a playoff spot. And, pending the game on the 17th, we're really down another point because of tiebreaks.

I would nudge the line for making the playoffs down to 61 points. Had Arizona not scrambled back for a win last night, I would have cut it another 2 points to 59. I don't see us getting to 59, much less 61, unless we get our shit together now.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Pos
Team
PT+GRRWROWMax PTS
Colorado
+16
Vegas
+15
Minnesota
+11
Arizona
+2
St. Louis
+2
San Jose
E
Los Angeles
Anaheim
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Yes, that would be yours, mine, everyone's St. Louis Blues now sitting out of a playoff spot. And, pending the game on the 17th, we're really down another point because of tiebreaks.

I would nudge the line for making the playoffs down to 61 points. Had Arizona not scrambled back for a win last night, I would have cut it another 2 points to 59. I don't see us getting to 59, much less 61, unless we get our shit together now.
Did you really say were cruelly down another point because we have a game in hand????

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Did you really say were cruelly down another point because we have a game in hand????
Normally I would be excited about the game at hand, but when is the last time we won a game? We know the Blues have a better team on paper and should be able to put perform AZ. But, they haven’t and seemingly we are in free fall. Sure we are playing close games, but it seem like we are finding any possible way to lose them.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Normally I would be excited about the game at hand, but when is the last time we won a game? We know the Blues have a better team on paper and should be able to put perform AZ. But, they haven’t and seemingly we are in free fall. Sure we are playing close games, but it seem like we are finding any possible way to lose them.
The thing is that when a team is playing like that, all it takes is one break to get them on a roll.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think I may have been rooting for the wrong team in the Sharks/Kings game. The Blues are tied with San Jose now and 1 point behind Arizona. Going to be an exciting race. The Kings have faded a bit.

Dec 15, 2002
Pos
Team
PT+GRRWROWMax PTS
Colorado
+17
Vegas
+14
Minnesota
+12
Arizona
+3
St. Louis
+1
San Jose
+1
Los Angeles
Anaheim
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Let's welcome the San Jose Sharks to the playoff chase. GDI. The only thing that makes this better is Anaheim beating Arizona.

If it wasn't evident before, we're in trouble.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The thing is that when a team is playing like that, all it takes is one break to get them on a roll.
Sure. That’s true. And we are playing better, but that game in hand is now gone and we are point behind to show for it.

Dec 15, 2002
That's why I hate talking about we have games in hand. They're only useful if you capitalize on them. You don't bank on yes, we have games in hand and we're sure to win most / all of them. It's relying on a razor-thin margin of error for an optimistic outcome. You bag your points early when you have the chance and you bury teams you're supposed to so you're not in the spot of having to rely on but we have games in hand.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
That's why I hate talking about we have games in hand. They're only useful if you capitalize on them. You don't bank on yes, we have games in hand and we're sure to win most / all of them. It's relying on a razor-thin margin of error for an optimistic outcome. You bag your points early when you have the chance and you bury teams you're supposed to so you're not in the spot of having to rely on but we have games in hand.

especially when all your games in hand are against the top 3 teams in the division. No easy task.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Just ain't our year....unless a miracle happens in this last stretch....

But I don't see any luck coming our way....the hockey gods gave it to us in 2018-2019. They won't give it again for some time.

Reactions: Mike Liut

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Our season seems to depend on Parayko. I don't think we have a chance without him. In the meantime, we have got to start scoring more goals. We have 7 goals in our last 6 games. We're simply better than that. We aren't going to consistently win games 1-0 or 2-1 without a healthy Parayko in the lineup. If we can start potting 3+ goals in some of these games, we can mitigate the lack of defense due to Parayko being gone. That's just not happening at the moment and it shows.

Our forwards have got to start contributing offensively, especially Schenn, Schwartz, Thomas, Kyrou, Sanford and Hoffman. They combine for a whopping 2 goals and 4 points in those 6 games. That's embarrassing. 6 players who's main purpose is to score can't even hit a total of 6 points.

I understand injuries being a big factor in the 1st half of the season, but by now we've got pretty much every forward back. We actually scored more goals when we were ravaged by injuries. Something's gotta give. I'm still optimistic that this is just a rut and that the offensive floodgates are going to open here soon, but it's getting closer and closer to the end of the year and Parayko still ain't that close. We've got 19 games left, so I don't think we should be in complete panic mode. If we can go just a little around .500 until Parayko returns (hopefully he actually returns this year) I'll feel a lot better. It starts with the offense though.

Dec 15, 2002
Just ain't our year....unless a miracle happens in this last stretch....

But I don't see any luck coming our way....the hockey gods gave it to us in 2018-2019. They won't give it again for some time.
We have a Cup in my lifetime. I got to watch a parade down Market. I'm good for a while.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This is why we have the last column on the chart to interpret the PT+ number. I really don’t see anyone doing what you’re describing, assuming the games in hand are wins. It’s just helpful to monitor the available points especially in a year like this when there are big gaps between amounts of games played (though those are getting less).

I think it’s most realistic to forecast about 1 point per game in hand, or just slightly more. That’s the closest to actual points percentages for the teams in the hunt for the last spot.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I got some flack when I suggested the Sharks would get into the race about a month ago. They’re playing better. But if you put Arizona, San Jose, LA and the Blues into a tournament, I’d bet on the Blues. Yes I know the schedule is not easy, but it’s also not impossible. A lot of the teams in the chase have to play each other. It’s going to come down to whether the Blues can accrue points vs Minnesota or not. Get 60% of those points and I think it will be enough with the rest of the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad