Value of: PK Subban at the deadline with double retention.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Subban has been nothing but solid in a third pairing role this season. He has 13 pts in 30 gms, an even rating on a team that is -20.

If a contender needs a better third pairing then he will definitely help.

Exactly. if you're a contender and can fit him in, and even want to send a contract back to make it work with something of value - I can see a team doing and the Devils doing it. He's been better this year, not what he once was, but a fine 3rd pair who can fill in if you really need for an injury on the PP or higher pairing. You could probably even slot him on 2nd PP if you need help there. I am not sure what's in store for him long term - what he wants to do or the money he wants - but his next deal is what 2years/3M AAV? I'd be if the Devils re-signed him for that too.

Reactions: Smitty426

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
False. No part of your statement is true.

Exhibit A: Nick Foligno trade to Toronto at the 2021 TDL

Columbus traded Nick Foligno to Toronto in a 3 team trade. Columbus sent Foligno to San Jose at 50% retained (2.75M) who then sent Foligno to Toronto at an additional 50% retained (1.35M).

Nick Foligno Trade History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Exhibit B: David Savard trade to Tampa at the 2021 TDL

Columbus traded David Savard to Tampa in a 3 team trade. Columbus sent Savard at 50% retained (2.125M) to Detroit who sent Savard to Tampa at an additional 50% retained (1.0625M).

David Savard Trade History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Case closed. Educate yourself before you speak with certainty.

like, literally all you have to do is look at the time stamp and realize that by the time you responded someone else out there probably knew this as well. Which should lead you to scroll like 5 more seconds and realize this has been corrected.

Then the rest of us wouldn’t have to read 10 people tell the same Nick Foligno story.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
like, literally all you have to do is look at the time stamp and realize that by the time you responded someone else out there probably knew this as well. Which should lead you to scroll like 5 more seconds and realize this has been corrected.

Then the rest of us wouldn’t have to read 10 people tell the same Nick Foligno story.
You want to read more about Nick Foligno? Of course.

Exhibit A: Nick Foligno trade to Toronto at the 2021 TDL

Columbus traded Nick Foligno to Toronto in a 3 team trade. Columbus sent Foligno to San Jose at 50% retained (2.75M) who then sent Foligno to Toronto at an additional 50% retained (1.35M).

Nick Foligno Trade History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Don’t tell me what to do, thank you very much.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Subban (doubleRetained)
+ Miles Wood

for

Holl
Ritchie
Amirov

+
Engvall or abramov (to
Second retaining team)

Leafs give up a prospect in Amirov
But Subban is an upgrade over Holl and wood is a wildcard (who can move up and down lineup - if healthy)

2nd retaining team gets a serviceable player
Like Engvall or a decent prospect like
Abramov or SDA ETC for
Retaining for this year only

it helps
The leafs NOW but also gives them flexibility to
A) clear Ritchie and holl money NOW TO
GIVE room to
Resign Campbell

b) still keep the door
Open for Perhaps a Subban “hometown extension for next year” (maybe a holl contract ? 2m ?)
Also, some flexibility with wood as well

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
If the leafs can somehow swing 3 deals - they could really be a problem in spring/summer

1) a pk/ wood deal as outlined above

2) a Giordano or C Miller trade
Would require 1st in 2022 or 2023
And/or (rubins/niemela)

3) an all out move (C Giroux) deal
Would require 1st in 2022 or 2023 and/or
(Robertson/Voit)

4) a roll dice move (mrazek and his 3.8m) for
A “backup with lower cap hit” (Halak/holtby/m smith, Reimer etc ) - which would
Give room for
Another gritty forward

Giroux - Matthews - Marner
Bunting- Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kampf - Kase
Wood - Spezza - Simmonds

Reilly - Brodie
Giordano - Subban
Muzzin - Sandin/liljegren/Dermott

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Forget retention, Mtl can take him from you if you want, if we're paid to take him.

We can throw an asset in too

1st +
Subban

For

Something you need that is not 24 years old or less and that is not a pick ( I don't need to explain what/who we need to keep, we are tanking)

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Forget retention, Mtl can take him from you if you want, if we're paid to take him.

1st +
Subban

For

Something you need that is not 24 years old or less and that is not a pick ( I don't need to explain what/who we need to keep, we are tanking)

No chance in Hell the Devils even consider adding a 1st to rid themselves of the last few months of Subban, when they're loaded with capspace and he's already been paid most of his real money

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
No chance in Hell the Devils even consider adding a 1st to rid themselves of the last few months of Subban, when they're loaded with capspace and he's already been paid most of his real money

You missed the part where I'm talking about adding assets?
It could be Chiarot or whatever you need.
Amd also, who gives a f*** about "real money"?
What's important is how a player is hurting the cap hit and in Subban case, it's "a lot".

1st + Subban (1 year) vs Chiarot (1 year) + 5,5M of new cap hit to try to compete isn't bad at all il

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
What's important is how a player is hurting the cap hit and in Subban case, it's "a lot".

1st + Subban (1 year) vs Chiarot (1 year) + 5,5M of new cap hit to try to compete isn't bad at all il

the Devils giving up a 1st in a year they're missing the playoffs is comically bad. If nobody wants Subban at half price they'll simply finish the season with him. The entire point I'm making is they don't NEED to trade Subban, he's been paid most of him money, all he is is a cap hit, which could be an issue for other teams but isn't for the Devils.

Trading him with a 1st for Chiarot saves them 3.5 million in cap space (that they don't need) probably costs them in real money and all they're adding is another player that is a UFA??
Does that actually make sense to you?

member 334057

The Devils have no cap issues making them need to move Subban, why would they send potentially a top 10 pick along with him to the Habs for what some people may not even believe is an actual upgrade? They have enough cap space to add additional players if they feel they need them.

Reactions: Smitty426

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
the Devils giving up a 1st in a year they're missing the playoffs is comically bad. If nobody wants Subban at half price they'll simply finish the season with him. The entire point I'm making is they don't NEED to trade Subban, he's been paid most of him money, all he is is a cap hit, which could be an issue for other teams but isn't for the Devils.

Trading him with a 1st for Chiarot saves them 3.5 million in cap space (that they don't need) probably costs them in real money and all they're adding is another player that is a UFA??
Does that actually make sense to you?

What's the point than to create a thread about trading Subban if you're not paying to give him up?
What, you think that some team are interest in actually acquire him lol?

Only a team that wants to weaponize their cap hit will want him.
If you're trying to do the same thing, than you're stuck with him

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
What's the point than to create a thread about trading Subban if you're not paying to give him up?
What, you think that some team are interest in actually acquire him lol?

Only a team that wants to weaponize their cap hit will want him.
If you're trying to do the same thing, than you're stuck with him

I didn't make this thread, and Subban isn't negative value even at 50% and the OP was suggesting double retention.
I don't know if you haven't been paying attention to him this year but he's around .5 PPG on a fairly bad team
So yes, teams will give up something to acquire him, we're not talking anything crazy good but something
The Devils showed last season that they'll keep UFA players if a decent deal isn't found (Ryan Murray) same goes for Subban, they'll happily ride out his contract if there isn't interest

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
The Devils have no cap issues making them need to move Subban, why would they send potentially a top 10 pick along with him to the Habs for what some people may not even believe is an actual upgrade? They have enough cap space to add additional players if they feel they need them.

As if someone would actually pay you for Subban lol

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I didn't make this thread, and Subban isn't negative value even at 50% and the OP was suggesting double retention.
I don't know if you haven't been paying attention to him this year but he's around .5 PPG on a fairly bad team
So yes, teams will give up something to acquire him, we're not talking anything crazy good but something
The Devils showed last season that they'll keep UFA players if a decent deal isn't found (Ryan Murray) same goes for Subban, they'll happily ride out his contract if there isn't interest

He sucks, he's about to get suspended yet again for slew foots and won't help a team to win a Stanley Cup.
The only prize he'll be helping winning is Shane Wright.
You'll have to ride him.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
He sucks, he's about to get suspended yet again for slew foots and won't help a team to win a Stanley Cup.
The only prize he'll be helping winning is Shane Wright.
You'll have to ride him.

Ya all those suspension have really hurt... Oh wait, he hasn't been suspended for slew-footing anyone.
Just because you're wrong, doesn't mean you should be an ass
Your team is in the Shane Wright sweepstake too.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
No one is going to go through the trouble of finding a 3rd trade partner just to retain for Subban. He doesn't move the needle enough to warrant all the extra effort.

Someone who misses out on their top target will just bite the bullet and grab him at 50% for something cheap (4th or C prospect). To suggest NJ will add anything at all to move him is embarrassing and laughable. He's been paid nearly all of his salary, is UFA at the end of the year, and NJ has tons of cap space.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Ya all those suspension have really hurt... Oh wait, he hasn't been suspended for slew-footing anyone.
Just because you're wrong, doesn't mean you should be an ass
Your team is in the Shane Wright sweepstake too.

About asses... You should stop talking with yours. He's not suspended yet but at this rate, it's a matter of "when" at this rate, and yeah we're gunning for Wright, why else do I'd want Subban??

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If the leafs can somehow swing 3 deals - they could really be a problem in spring/summer

1) a pk/ wood deal as outlined above

2) a Giordano or C Miller trade
Would require 1st in 2022 or 2023
And/or (rubins/niemela)

3) an all out move (C Giroux) deal
Would require 1st in 2022 or 2023 and/or
(Robertson/Voit)

4) a roll dice move (mrazek and his 3.8m) for
A “backup with lower cap hit” (Halak/holtby/m smith, Reimer etc ) - which would
Give room for
Another gritty forward

Giroux - Matthews - Marner
Bunting- Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kampf - Kase
Wood - Spezza - Simmonds

Reilly - Brodie
Giordano - Subban
Muzzin - Sandin/liljegren/Dermott

No Colin Miller would not require that

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021

1st +
Subban

For

Yikes…. You really think Devils would trade a first to unload him?

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
About asses... You should stop talking with yours. He's not suspended yet but at this rate, it's a matter of "when" at this rate, and yeah we're gunning for Wright, why else do I'd want Subban??

Dude, you literally said "he's about to get suspended yet again for slew foots" this clearly says you believe he's been suspended for it before so I'm not the one talking out of my ass

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Dude, you literally said "he's about to get suspended yet again for slew foots" this clearly says you believe he's been suspended for it before so I'm not the one talking out of my ass

It's more about me making writting mistakes in a language I'm not the best at I'd say

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad