Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I see Perron as a better version of Neal. He's harder to play against, has a wicked shot of his own, can create his own scoring chances and is a better fit on the PP being a RHS and willing to go to the net.

Same.

Though if Neal played at the ranges Perron does, he'd be unstoppable. If...

I am 100% for PCH.

That's the most potent offensive line that can be cobbled together from any center and wings we have, but I wonder if it will get scored on an awful lot. PH is a competent defensive player, but he tends to play deep and doesn't necessarily have the footspeed to get back in time if Perron turns the puck over, which seems like something of a risk with him.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
That's the most potent offensive line that can be cobbled together from any center and wings we have, but I wonder if it will get scored on an awful lot. PH is a competent defensive player, but he tends to play deep and doesn't necessarily have the footspeed to get back in time if Perron turns the puck over, which seems like something of a risk with him.

Though it's a longshot this year, wouldn't it be grand if we could get Dupuis back in the post season and run:

Perron / Crosby / Dupuis
Comeau / Geno / PH
Kunitz / Sutter / BB
Spaling / Goc / Downie

I share the concern over the defensive issues with a Perron/Sid/PH line. I know everyone hates on Dupuis with Sid, but I think Kunitz as a 2nd wheel was more the issue than Dupuis as a 3rd. Dupuis wouldn't need to carry the puck at all, just forecheck, interfere, and take care of his own end.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Though it's a longshot this year, wouldn't it be grand if we could get Dupuis back in the post season and run:

Perron / Crosby / Dupuis
Comeau / Geno / PH
Kunitz / Sutter / BB
Spaling / Goc / Downie

I share the concern over the defensive issues with a Perron/Sid/PH line. I know everyone hates on Dupuis with Sid, but I think Kunitz as a 2nd wheel was more the issue than Dupuis as a 3rd. Dupuis wouldn't need to carry the puck at all, just forecheck, interfere, and take care of his own end.

I'd agree with that across the board.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Classic case of absence making the heart grow fonder here, haha.

I'll never advocate Dupuis on a scoring line. His stone hands, non-existent playmaking, and poor shot selection have undermined Crosby's effectiveness for too long.

PCH may not be the best pure defensive line, but the best defense is good offensive zone possession, and those 3 should be great together on that front.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
How are people already forgetting that Dupuis hasn't been good for 2 years? Like Kunitz, he shouldn't be sniffing a spot in the top 6 if he were to come back.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I see Perron as a better version of Neal. He's harder to play against, has a wicked shot of his own, can create his own scoring chances and is a better fit on the PP being a RHS and willing to go to the net.

Perron does just about everything better than Neal, and even though Perron does have a really nice shot, Neal is top 5 in the entire league - up there with Kessel, Ovi, Semin, and Stamkos.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
How are people already forgetting that Dupuis hasn't been good for 2 years? Like Kunitz, he shouldn't be sniffing a spot in the top 6 if he were to come back.

Better Dupuis than Kunitz, at this point. Assuming Duper was up to his form from earlier this year, which is admittedly a large assumption.

We may need to just rely on internal reinforcements at forward for the balance of this year, and if this is the case, I think the above is probably the best allocation of our forward lines. Kunitz can still be effective, but not in the top 6.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
if dupuis comes back the lineup should read "kunitz-sutter-dupuis" at some point or that lineup is ****ed

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Same.

Though if Neal played at the ranges Perron does, he'd be unstoppable. If....

But that's just it. Perron, despite being significantly smaller, is tougher in the corners/around the net and on the puck in general than Neal was for a vast majority of his time here. And Perron's just on a different level when it comes to beating guys one on one.

Yeah, I'm 50/50 on that line. It'd definitely have everything it needs to dominate in the offensive zone. I think MJ would have to use that line properly though. I.e., as few shifts in the D-zone as possible. PH and Perron aren't outright liabilities in their own end, but they're not going to help Sid out very much either.

If our plan is to have Spaling and Goc as 2/3 of our 4th line, and we roll 4 lines in the playoffs, then MJ could very well mitigate the defensive deficiencies of a PCH line. Use that 4th line every time we're starting out in our own end.

I still say our top 6 could use a better version of Spaling or Dupuis over anything else. We would lack some size still, but I think we have enough net crashing/grinding elements in Perron, PH, Comeau, Kunitz (hopefully) and even Bennett if he sticks with Malkin.

Short term, Vermette and then see what can be done in the offseason. If he'll stick around for less than what he's been rumored to want, keep him. If not, then look into a longterm option like ROR. Last resort, hope Dupuis has another year in him where he can plug in with Perron and Sid nicely. I think he'd be fine there since he'd hardly ever have to touch the puck.

DMR

Apr 29, 2010
The "PCH Line", that would be perfect name if this were a Los Angeles team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, I'm 50/50 on that line. It'd definitely have everything it needs to dominate in the offensive zone. I think MJ would have to use that line properly though. I.e., as few shifts in the D-zone as possible. PH and Perron aren't outright liabilities in their own end, but they're not going to help Sid out very much either.

If our plan is to have Spaling and Goc as 2/3 of our 4th line, and we roll 4 lines in the playoffs, then MJ could very well mitigate the defensive deficiencies of a PCH line. Use that 4th line every time we're starting out in our own end.

I still say our top 6 could use a better version of Spaling or Dupuis over anything else. We would lack some size still, but I think we have enough net crashing/grinding elements in Perron, PH, Comeau, Kunitz (hopefully) and even Bennett if he sticks with Malkin.

Short term, Vermette and then see what can be done in the offseason. If he'll stick around for less than what he's been rumored to want, keep him. If not, then look into a longterm option like ROR. Last resort, hope Dupuis has another year in him where he can plug in with Perron and Sid nicely. I think he'd be fine there since he'd hardly ever have to touch the puck.

How the heck do we get Vermette with no cap space?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I had to read Dejan's column twice to see if I was still dumbfounded the second time. Wants to outlaw shotblocking. Ignoring the impracticality of that plan for a moment, what blew my mind is that he thinks shot-blocks still involves a player dropping to the ice on his stomach. I don't know how he can't know that the vast majority of shotblocks--at a rate of what feels like hundreds to 1--now occur when people are standing. There are other confusing anachronisms in there was well (are you aware that the league still operates on a no-tolerance obstruction standard?).

Meanwhile, I'll link a Rossi column for the first time, maybe, ever (this is only the second or third I've read since he got Dejan's job). Broken clock's right twice a day and he does an excellent job detailing how Crosby (and to a lesser extent, Ovechkin) owe the NHL nothing.

Finally, Bob McKenzie polled a bunch of coaches, separating into East and West
http://www.tsn.ca/rangers-blues-headline-tsn-s-who-s-best-nhl-coaches-survey-1.191758

Penguins got votes for best D (Letang tied Hedman for 2nd, 1 behind McDonagh) and best player (Crosby and Malkin each got 1 vote, only Nash??? got 2).

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
How the heck do we get Vermette with no cap space?

Yotes retain 50%. His greatest worth is to a playoff team due to him being a UFA. Most playoff teams can't fit him in either unless salary is retained or a significant salary is moved.

I think their new ownership group would be happy to retain salary dealing pending UFAs if it gets them a better return.

I dont' think Vermette will return a 1st, but he still may cost more than we're willing to part with. Especially after already dealing our 1st this season and our 3rd last season.

AlanMSaunders

Aug 25, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yotes retain 50%. His greatest worth is to a playoff team due to him being a UFA. Most playoff teams can't fit him in either unless salary is retained or a significant salary is moved.

I think their new ownership group would be happy to retain salary dealing pending UFAs if it gets them a better return.

I dont' think Vermette will return a 1st, but he still may cost more than we're willing to part with. Especially after already dealing our 1st this season and our 3rd last season.

The Pens don't have their 2015 3rd either; it was part of the Goc trade.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Another Madden rumor.

Pens might trade Kunitz then trade for Jagr.

Apparently Malkin has already been asked about Jagr and would want to play with him, Malkin also seems to love playing with Spailing.

I call BS again, Madden just said a little while ago Martin for Williams was likely to happen.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I thought Madden only said Williams/Martin was on the table, not that is was happening.

And to be fair, this was before Maatta was out for the season. Which is what I would think was holding up accepting/rejecting the deal.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Another Madden rumor.

Pens might trade Kunitz then trade for Jagr.

Apparently Malkin has already been asked about Jagr and would want to play with him, Malkin also seems to love playing with Spailing.

I call BS again, Madden just said a little while ago Martin for Williams was likely to happen.

It's probably false, but I would actually be ok with that. That seems strange to type.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Also not the first time he's mentioned Kunitz not liking Bylsma being gone. Don't know what to ever think of this stuff without actual quotes.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If Kunitz does have the boo boo face over Bylsma being gone, would that really surprise anyone here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad