Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Can throw Petts and POJ in there as well, out/in respectively.

Still hoping Seattle takes one of Zucker or Petts and we deal the other. Starting to worry they're gonna take Carter though.

Carter isn't good value for them.

I agree Petts should be traded for whatever. Zucker is the most enticing piece if McCann is protected.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd be fine with leaving that spot open all summer. If he's not ready, try Poulin, Zohorna or someone else. Or you can bump Tanev up to the 3rd line and try guys like Angello, Lafferty and such with ZAR and Blueger.

Tanev doesn't give you a net front guy, and not much guarantee Poulin/Zohorna will be fully capable in the NHL on their offhand - and are probably closer than Legare as LWs, so if we're accomodating kids it should be one of them.

Unless the plan is to spend a ton of dosh on the depth and go kid heavy in the middle six, I just don't think this one makes sense.

Seattle want Blueger since scouts show up when he plays and don't when he's not playing.

This is heretical but I'd be okay with swinging a deal to leave him exposed in exchange for some goodies, and having Gaudreau take his place.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tanev doesn't give you a net front guy, and not much guarantee Poulin/Zohorna will be fully capable in the NHL on their offhand - and are probably closer than Legare as LWs, so if we're accomodating kids it should be one of them.

Unless the plan is to spend a ton of dosh on the depth and go kid heavy in the middle six, I just don't think this one makes sense.

But you need to take risks in a cap era, and if you insist on signing players to fill every single spot going into a season, you won't have a spot for the young guys to prove themselves.

Imagine how this team would look had someone like Gaudreau not been given a chance to shine this year. That's kinda what you're risking by going too heavy with depth signings.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I'll weep if they steal my boy Blue
Losing him would be a double tragedy. Firstly, losing the guy and his ability.

Secondly, I know he's due for a raise, but he's probably coming in from 2-3M AAV for his raise. If Blueger were already a 5M center, at least the loss would give us some breathing room and let us hit the market in search of a decent replacement (I guess we already have that now with Carter, but longer term). But no, we would lose his cheap salary, and then still have the conundrum of trying to possibly shed Zucker's 5.5, or Petts/Matheson's 4-5M salary to give ourselves any financial breathing room.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I also think people need to pump the brakes on wanting to move guys up the lineup after a good game or two. Carter's in the best position to succeed, imo. Third line minutes, a sheltered role where he's behind both Sid and Geno's lines, and not getting the defensive assignments TB's line gets. Perfect for the dude.

Sort of on the same topic; people need to relax regarding Zoho, imo. Dude has, what, 8 games? He's had a couple of really nice games but it's way early to predict he's gonna be some kind of gem, imo. I've seen suggestions that he's the missing piece for Geno+Kap, I've seen people wanting him full time on the 3rd line, etc. I'd like to see him string together a nice season on the 4th line before talking about moving him up. Lafferty was great when he first got a shot at the NHL. Fast, had some dynamic chances/goals off the rush, etc. Now, I don't even want the dude as the 13th forward. :laugh:

On another topic... Rust has been godawful. Jake and McCann have been invisible, or invisible until McCann took that stupid ass penalty last night and Jake was acting like a teenager throwing a fit because his mom wouldn't take him to the mall--but Rust? He's been actively bad, imo. I still don't think there's a chance in hell this team does it with the window rapidly closing, if it's even open at all anymore, but I'd shop Rust heavily this summer to see what you could get. I don't think there's a deal there that improves us immediately, but if you can get a Kap-like return (mid 1st, good or better prospect) I would absolutely pull the trigger. But again, a team with a very finite amount of chances left is not going to move their ~60pt winger for futures.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I also think people need to pump the brakes on wanting to move guys up the lineup after a good game or two. Carter's in the best position to succeed, imo. Third line minutes, a sheltered role where he's behind both Sid and Geno's lines, and not getting the defensive assignments TB's line gets. Perfect for the dude.

Sort of on the same topic; people need to relax regarding Zoho, imo. Dude has, what, 8 games? He's had a couple of really nice games but it's way early to predict he's gonna be some kind of gem, imo. I've seen suggestions that he's the missing piece for Geno+Kap, I've seen people wanting him full time on the 3rd line, etc. I'd like to see him string together a nice season on the 4th line before talking about moving him up. Lafferty was great when he first got a shot at the NHL. Fast, had some dynamic chances/goals off the rush, etc. Now, I don't even want the dude as the 13th forward. :laugh:

On another topic... Rust has been godawful. Jake and McCann have been invisible, or invisible until McCann took that stupid ass penalty last night and Jake was acting like a teenager throwing a fit because his mom wouldn't take him to the mall--but Rust? He's been actively bad, imo. I still don't think there's a chance in hell this team does it with the window rapidly closing, if it's even open at all anymore, but I'd shop Rust heavily this summer to see what you could get. I don't think there's a deal there that improves us immediately, but if you can get a Kap-like return (mid 1st, good or better prospect) I would absolutely pull the trigger. But again, a team with a very finite amount of chances left is not going to move their ~60pt winger for futures.

I really wonder if Carter is going to play next year. A 1M actual salary, yes? As I said last night, whatever it takes . . . a permanent room at Ron Burkle's Neverland Ranch . . . whatever.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I really wonder if Carter is going to play next year. A 1M actual salary, yes? As I said last night, whatever it takes . . . a permanent room at Ron Burkle's Neverland Ranch . . . whatever.
I think he will. He doesn't seem the type of guy to suddenly drop everything and retire, and he's still at a high level. Doubt he locks into a new contract next summer though.

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Already said he's going to play next year and I see no reason to doubt him. I think the threat of retirement was just to control his destiny, not him being easy come easy go on playing hockey. Look at the way he's playing for us - that's not a guy ready to stop having fun.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he does another contract at the end of this one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'm pretty sure that Carter flat out said he intends on playing next year.

To be honest, I'm more scared that Hextall protects Carter in the expansion draft than I am with Carter retiring.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'll weep if they steal my boy Blue
It would shock me to see them expose Blueger. Zucker gets exposed, and Tanev which is dangerous. Fingers crossed they don't take Tanev. We have in house W replacement options in Poulin and Legare. Cupboard is bare at C.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

He said he will. I’ll take him at his word. He’s playing meaningful hockey for the first time in a loooong time.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But you need to take risks in a cap era, and if you insist on signing players to fill every single spot going into a season, you won't have a spot for the young guys to prove themselves.

Imagine how this team would look had someone like Gaudreau not been given a chance to shine this year. That's kinda what you're risking by going too heavy with depth signings.

Right, but there's good risks and bad risks. Moving Pettersson and letting LD play out between POJ and Friedman is pretty safe. Giving a middle six LW slot to the best of Zohorna, DOC, and Poulin, is pretty safe.

Relying on Legare doesn't feel safe. He's less likely to be ready and has less competition.

I'm pretty sure that Carter flat out said he intends on playing next year.

To be honest, I'm more scared that Hextall protects Carter in the expansion draft than I am with Carter retiring.

I'm increasingly more worried about him being taken than him being protected.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think ZAR and E-Rod probably get more money/term than we should be comfortable with matching in FA. Brings us to a bit of a crossroads re: the 4th line. Do we want to try and keep it as the shutdown line, since no other line really makes sense or is capable of filling that role? Or do we want to shift gears a bit and use it as a landing place for prospects to get some playing time at the NHL level to see what we have in these guys?

I wonder if we'll let ZAR walk. I feel like the organization and coaches probably value him way, way more highly than we do. Maybe to a fault this summer.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
It would shock me to see them expose Blueger. Zucker gets exposed, and Tanev which is dangerous. Fingers crossed they don't take Tanev. We have in house W replacement options in Poulin and Legare. Cupboard is bare at C.

G
Sid
Kap
Guentz
Rust
McCann

One spot left between Carter, Blueger, Zucker, Tanev

Blueger is the best long term protect. Carter though is a wildcard now...but I would hope a team sees little value in him for a team start up. He doesn't seem like a guy that'll go play in Seattle. He'd probably retire.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
G
Sid
Kap
Guentz
Rust
McCann

One spot left between Carter, Blueger, Zucker, Tanev

Blueger is the best long term protect. Carter though is a wildcard now...but I would hope a team sees little value in him for a team start up. He doesn't seem like a guy that'll go play in Seattle. He'd probably retire.
Carter is on record saying he would retire if he got picked. Seattle needs to weigh that.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's a tossup between TB and Carter, imo. Carter's a bigger impact right now, at least offensively. TB's the long-term 3C and currently anchors the only line worth a damn defensively.

Ideally, they take Zucker or Petts. In a perfect world we lose the guy with the lower trade value out of those two, and ship the other off for futures/cap relief.

Starting to really wonder if Seattle takes Carter though. Final year, discounted cap hit, cheap salary, and can obviously still play and produce at a good level.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
We're not out of the playoffs yet to be making decisions for next year. We need to see this team more than 3 playoff games in. The post season performance is more important than who did what in the regular season. We're not going into a rebuild phase in the offseason. There might be a slight retool though.

Carter's will bluff retirement. He doesn't need protected. He's not going anywhere.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think ZAR and E-Rod probably get more money/term than we should be comfortable with matching in FA. Brings us to a bit of a crossroads re: the 4th line. Do we want to try and keep it as the shutdown line, since no other line really makes sense or is capable of filling that role? Or do we want to shift gears a bit and use it as a landing place for prospects to get some playing time at the NHL level to see what we have in these guys?

I wonder if we'll let ZAR walk. I feel like the organization and coaches probably value him way, way more highly than we do. Maybe to a fault this summer.

I think it might be this place underrates ZAR too much rather than the org rates him too much. By the numbers, he's the guy who makes BART tick. I can't say I particularly see that on the ice and he certainly can't drive his own offence, but I'm uncomfortable ignoring two years of data like that. One year could have been just one of those things but two probably isn't.

Right now I think we don't get a choice and Seattle take him. But I think I'm happy to pay him a decent chunk if he's not.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Hextall has work to do either way this summer. We need to remove and replace bad fits or bloated/redundant contracts. We need a better mix in the middle-6, mainly Geno's wing. We need to decide whether we're hanging on to Rust (assuming his awful streak of play in a playoff atmosphere continues) or if we're moving him before he absolutely walks next summer.

Staying the course, while I think it's probably the most realistic outcome, would be a mistake imo. This team has next season, and maybe one more after that before things start to get real ugly due to age/injury to the core. Either we're gonna try and sort things out for one more strong push or we're okay staying the course and re-evaluating/making some tough decisions next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad