Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
No idea what Greenways value is but a deal around Rust and Greenway? Has the size, skates hard, can hit. Maybe we can also add Foligno if we added if the price was right.

Now what's right?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
...to get cheaper...

Won't be needed.
MAF coming back for 1m a year from 22-23 until he doesn't care to play anymore will inspire Geno and Letang to take less than half of what they get now, and there will be no trouble regarding the cap.

... and yes, Staalzy will come back in 23 also.

mrw-im-not-listening-to-my-friends-argue-then-they-ask-me-whos-side-im-on-168914.gif

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Won't be needed.
MAF coming back for 1m a year from 22-23 until he doesn't care to play anymore will inspire Geno and Letang to take less than half of what they get now, and there will be no trouble regarding the cap.

... and yes, Staalzy will come back in 23 also.

mrw-im-not-listening-to-my-friends-argue-then-they-ask-me-whos-side-im-on-168914.gif

It'd be cool to get Jordan back, but I think he's probably cooked with the head injuries when he eventually hangs them up.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Apropos of nothing, I looked up some numbers and saw that Guentzel, Crosby, Malkin, Rust, and Letang are all top 10 in P/G at their respective positions over the last 2 years.

That's some nice balance.

Reactions: theicebox

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Doesn’t make sense. You move Rust to get cheaper. Greenway needs a contract now.

I don't think the Wild have any reason to deal Greenway (especially if Guerin's seen him in a t-shirt), but you're assuming a lot about why the Pens might be interested.

Getting younger, bigger, and more physical would be perfectly valid reasons to pursue that move.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Would be funny if Nolan Patrick left Philly, signed in Pittsburgh, and ended up reaching his potential.

Not sure why the Pens would be after him. They're set at center for next season unless they lose Blueger or Carter in the expansion draft. Frankly, I think both of those guys are a safer bet to be useful next year than Patrick is.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Speaking of Flyers players...if you want size Morin is set to be a UFA. That guy looks like the biggest player on the ice everytime I see him, looks much bigger then 6'6. :sarcasm:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Speaking of Flyers players...if you want size Morin is set to be a UFA. That guy looks like the biggest player on the ice everytime I see him, looks much bigger then 6'6. :sarcasm:
Probably wouldn’t cost much but we already have 8 d-men on NHL deals next season and that doesn’t include Joseph.

Speaking of Joseph with him looking pretty damn close to NHL ready and still on his ELC next season it does seem like kind of a waste from a cap management perspective to keep our whole blueline intact. But letting Ceci walk forces someone to their offside which Sullivan isn’t a fan of either, and then we’ve got a 4+ million d-man on the 3rd pairing. So wonder if we can bribe Seattle with a 2nd to take Matheson, then re-sign Ceci to something reasonable (3x3 tops?) and go with a Joseph - Ceci 3rd pairing. Friedman as the #7. If it’s Pettersson instead of Matheson I’m probably fine with that as well.

Zucker then can either be hung onto or moved for an actual asset or dumped for picks for cap space to target a free agent. Minus Matheson & Zucker (and plus a Ceci raise) would leave us some decent cap space. Like maybe even enough to target Hall or Hyman or trade for a guy like Reinhart.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Probably wouldn’t cost much but we already have 8 d-men on NHL deals next season and that doesn’t include Joseph.

Speaking of Joseph with him looking pretty damn close to NHL ready and still on his ELC next season it does seem like kind of a waste from a cap management perspective to keep our whole blueline intact. But letting Ceci walk forces someone to their offside which Sullivan isn’t a fan of either, and then we’ve got a 4+ million d-man on the 3rd pairing. So wonder if we can bribe Seattle with a 2nd to take Matheson, then re-sign Ceci to something reasonable (3x3 tops?) and go with a Joseph - Ceci 3rd pairing. Friedman as the #7. If it’s Pettersson instead of Matheson I’m probably fine with that as well.

Zucker then can either be hung onto or moved for an actual asset or dumped for picks for cap space to target a free agent. Minus Matheson & Zucker (and plus a Ceci raise) would leave us some decent cap space. Like maybe even enough to target Hall or Hyman or trade for a guy like Reinhart.

I'm still not sold on the necessity or even value in bribing Seattle for anything. I'd rather just let them pick and then worry about the UFAs and blueline afterwards.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
At this point, I'm protecting Matheson over Pettersson, and I never thought I'd say that. The truth is Pettersson probably isn't getting back to what he looked like a couple of seasons ago and POJ replaces his skillset better. Trade Zucker this off-season, re-sign Blueger and Ceci, and gear-up to extend McCann and Kapanen. I have no clue what to do with Rust and that's probably a scenario we won't know much about until the last minute.

Reactions: Trade

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Just tell Seattle "We are thinking of protecting Matheson/Pettersson, but if you wanted to take him, we can leave him exposed." Taking either of those guys is the best case scenario for the Pens. Some might say Zucker and while he's had a tough year, I think he's still moveable. Even if they get stuck with him, I'd rather overpay at a position where they have less depth.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've made this point already but I still have no clue why people simultaneously think that Pettersson is bad while also thinking Ceci should be re-signed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe I missed a post or have someone on ignore, but where in the last few days has anyone said that Pettersson is bad @Empoleon8771 ?

Someone a few posts above said that Pettersson will likely not get back to where he was a few years ago, and then advocated for re-signing Ceci a sentence later.

My point of contention is more against the entire argument than any individual component. I just don't see how you can simultaneously say that the Penguins should trade Pettersson because he's bad (or some variation of that), while also advocating for re-signing Ceci.

I think it's reasonable to advocate for trading Pettersson, but advocating for trading Pettersson to re-sign Ceci just doesn't make sense to me. Ceci's likely not costing much less than Pettersson does right now, while Ceci's entire track record outside of this year has been dreadful.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Someone a few posts above said that Pettersson will likely not get back to where he was a few years ago, and then advocated for re-signing Ceci a sentence later.

My point of contention is more against the entire argument than any individual component. I just don't see how you can simultaneously say that the Penguins should trade Pettersson because he's bad (or some variation of that), while also advocating for re-signing Ceci.

I think it's reasonable to advocate for trading Pettersson, but advocating for trading Pettersson to re-sign Ceci just doesn't make sense to me. Ceci's likely not costing much less than Pettersson does right now, while Ceci's entire track record outside of this year has been dreadful.

That's fair, but @Dangles78 never said Petts was "bad" just "likely not as good as a few seasons ago". No reason to put words in peoples' mouths.

I'm of the opinion that one of Pettersson or Matheson need to go for cap space. And I'd prefer to keep Matheson because of his "game breaking" skating abilities. Protect neither and let Seattle take whoever they want. Or, as already mentioned, just see who the Kraken want and leave that one defender exposed.

Still: #ProtectRiikola

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
At this point, I'm protecting Matheson over Pettersson, and I never thought I'd say that. The truth is Pettersson probably isn't getting back to what he looked like a couple of seasons ago and POJ replaces his skillset better. Trade Zucker this off-season, re-sign Blueger and Ceci, and gear-up to extend McCann and Kapanen. I have no clue what to do with Rust and that's probably a scenario we won't know much about until the last minute.
i think petts would be moved easer the matts in the of season

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm still not sold on the necessity or even value in bribing Seattle for anything. I'd rather just let them pick and then worry about the UFAs and blueline afterwards.

Exactly. Anyone we potentially might lose is someone that's easily replaceable. We're not going to be losing a stud scorer or a future top pairing defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad