Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
-After a bit of a promising start, Drozg is now at only 1 goal, 1 assist and a -3 in 4 games.

-Lauzon missed another game tonight.

-On the plus side, Connor Hall had another assist tonight, and has 3 assists in 5 games, a +5 and 16 PIMs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
-After a bit of a promising start, Drozg is now at only 1 goal, 1 assist and a -3 in 4 games.

-Lauzon missed another game tonight.

-On the plus side, Connor Hall had another assist tonight, and has 3 assists in 5 games, a +5 and 16 PIMs.

Bellerive added a helper in a 4-1 win for Lethbridge too.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Man Bellerive is very noticeable in that highlight reel. Kid is very dogged with chasing pucks, he reminds me of Sheary with the tenacity of Rust.

Reactions: Peat

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Man Bellerive is very noticeable in that highlight reel. Kid is very dogged with chasing pucks, he reminds me of Sheary with the tenacity of Rust.

It would be funny if the undrafted free agent signing turns out better than all the guys they spent time scouting and drafting.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They probably spent just as much time scouting these guys as they did the others.

Not if what I've been told from scouts/former scouts I've spoken to (not Pens scouts, mind you). The guys they draft are guys they focus on the most, while some of these free agent invites are guys who caught their eye while they were scouting someone else, but didn't necessarily track as closely. Then when it comes time for handing out free agent invites, they look back on their notes to recall which "non-scouted" players caught their eye the most and send out invites.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not if what I've been told from scouts/former scouts I've spoken to (not Pens scouts, mind you). The guys they draft are guys they focus on the most, while some of these free agent invites are guys who caught their eye while they were scouting someone else, but didn't necessarily track as closely. Then when it comes time for handing out free agent invites, they look back on their notes to recall which "non-scouted" players caught their eye the most and send out invites.

Fair enough - I just assumed they had a big board of the people they scouted multiple times and liked, and most free agent invites came from the people on the board they didn't take. I remember an article in which the Devils guy said they had a board of 100 at one draft and ten left over at the end, so I assumed the same here.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
D`Orio got named 1st star stopping 22/23 In their first win of the season.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Miletic will turn heads. Fast Gritty player. Bellerive is a project. I would say he will take the same development that Bluegar took. ZAR will be a great player but needs to focus on smaller details of him game(winning puck battles, positioning, strength). I don't see Dea/Simon as anything special, maybe 4th liners. Haven't watched Olund play but seems like a good pick. Di Pauli will be a twin of Rust, just a Lefty. Archibald I think is overhyped. I also think Sprong is overhyped, even by myself. Bluegar will be our longer term 4C once Rowney leaves in FA this offseason. Johnson seems as a project to be a 3c one day...wish he was developed as a LW.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Miletic will turn heads. Fast Gritty player. Bellerive is a project. I would say he will take the same development that Bluegar took. ZAR will be a great player but needs to focus on smaller details of him game(winning puck battles, positioning, strength). I don't see Dea/Simon as anything special, maybe 4th liners. Haven't watched Olund play but seems like a good pick. Di Pauli will be a twin of Rust, just a Lefty. Archibald I think is overhyped. I also think Sprong is overhyped, even by myself. Bluegar will be our longer term 4C once Rowney leaves in FA this offseason. Johnson seems as a project to be a 3c one day...wish he was developed as a LW.

I couldn't disagree more with the bolded. The issue with ZAR in the pre-season was that everything was going too fast for him. He just needs time to adjust to the pace of the game and make faster, more decisive reads. The aspect that definitely looked NHL ready was his puck battles and strength. He was objectively knocking guys around and winning along the boards.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It would be funny if the undrafted free agent signing turns out better than all the guys they spent time scouting and drafting.

It would be hilarious if Rust, Sheary, etc were expendable because everything we grab turns to gold. Would just wish that gold could also transfer to D and we get 2 1st pairing Dmen.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It would be hilarious if Rust, Sheary, etc were expendable because everything we grab turns to gold. Would just wish that gold could also transfer to D and we get 2 1st pairing Dmen.

Hey, didn't you see that Hall has 3 points in 5? Next Shea Weber here we come :laugh:

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Does anybody have a The Athletic Pittsburgh membership? Apparently Corey Pronman wrote about Clayton Phillips being a standout at the USHL Classic. I am curious what he said. Thanks.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Does anybody have a The Athletic Pittsburgh membership? Apparently Corey Pronman wrote about Clayton Phillips being a standout at the USHL Classic. I am curious what he said. Thanks.

He wrote that Phillips was the highest player picked at the showcase, and that while he wasn't fantastic, he showed flashes of why he was a third round pick.

Stated that his skating is a clear stand out ability, and his shot is a secondary standout ability. That he gets up ice at an elite level, but needs to improve his reads at both ends of the ice. Says he doesn't won't to criticize Phillips too much because he was the youngest player taken in his draft year.

Phillip's coach stated, "his decision making is getting better and quicker, his footwork is great, and he can really shot the puck, and he can join the rush".

Phillips was one of 11 players that Pronmam did a short write-up on.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogthateats

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Good stuff from D'Orio tonight.
Noticed he's a right glover. Didn't notice that before now. heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad