Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I've always been curious what @Andy99 looks like.

lol I was thinking that yesterday

We should have a thread on what we think other posters look like 😝

You mean ……

1722798806955.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Here’s a national writer’s top 10 for the Pens…interesting that Murashov is not on it and he gives higher marks to Howe etc and my boy, Broz, than this Board does…

Cruz Lucius over Murashov and Ilyin is interesting.

I get ranking Brunicke and Howe higher since they were recent high 2nd round picks but that screams more "recency bias" and "shiny new object" to me putting them over Murashov and Ilyin.

As I pointed out in other threads though, nice NEW problem to have. Past years, we are looking at 5th round nobodies or recent UFA signings to round out top 10. Now we get to complain that a goalie on the level of Murashov is not making a list.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Cruz Lucius over Murashov and Ilyin is interesting.

I get ranking Brunicke and Howe higher since they were recent high 2nd round picks but that screams more "recency bias" and "shiny new object" to me putting them over Murashov and Ilyin.

As I pointed out in other threads though, nice NEW problem to have. Past years, we are looking at 5th round nobodies or recent UFA signings to round out top 10. Now we get to complain that a goalie on the level of Murashov is not making a list.
They also said Lucius is “speedy” but I remember hearing skating was something he needed to improve?

I’m convinced no one is actually watching these prospects besides maybe a game here or there and watching their stats. Pretty much what I’m doing.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They also said Lucius is “speedy” but I remember hearing skating was something he needed to improve?

I’m convinced no one is actually watching these prospects besides maybe a game here or there and watching their stats. Pretty much what I’m doing.
Getting into some nuances here but "speed" and "skating" are a bit different. As a player, I had good breakaway speed. I could regularly separate myself from a dman or win a drag race to the puck. But when it came to tight turns, in-close movement, weaving through guys...I was average at best.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Getting into some nuances here but "speed" and "skating" are a bit different. As a player, I had good breakaway speed. I could regularly separate myself from a dman or win a drag race to the puck. But when it came to tight turns, in-close movement, weaving through guys...I was average at best.

1723057296535.gif

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Sounds like Kostopolous sees another Zach Sill in the making. Or he'll fade into oblivion like most other sixth round picks.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens under Dubas are adding prospect talent as they transition to a roster that is going to be the start of the new Pens. I posted I think the team will be OK this year and make the playoffs. But not have the staying power due to age and the grind to go very far. At that point, Dubas will move assets for picks and prospects next off season to accelerate the process. Malkin, Rust, Karlsson are my players to go.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I don’t pay a ton of attention to other team’s prospects. Pretty much just the ones I see get drafted. Where do we rank? It looks maybe still bottom 10, but outside of the bottom 5?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t pay a ton of attention to other team’s prospects. Pretty much just the ones I see get drafted. Where do we rank? It looks maybe still bottom 10, but outside of the bottom 5?
It would depend on who is doing the ranking, but if we go based off of Corey Pronman's 2023 rankings on The Athletic, the Pens were ranked at 29th. They would need at least two teams to drop below them, and none of the teams below them to overtake them, for the Pens to get out of the bottom 5. Looking over the Oilers and Maple Leafs, who were the two teams immediately above the Pens in that ranking, and the Islanders, Lightning and Bruins who were ranked lower, I'd say it's at least plausible the Pens rise out of the bottom 5.
Not much chance of them getting out of the bottom 10 just yet, I'd think.

In any case, we're coming up on the time when prospect pool rankings start coming out, so I guess we'll see how others rank them soon enough.

Reactions: eXile3

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

5yrs in College. Lol, I don't know why this cracks me up. Like this bloke is even remotely anything but some echl filler as his career.

Hopefully he's at least taking advantage of that in his education, assuming he's studying more and not redoing classes he's failed as the reason for year 5 of a 4yr situation.

The best recent player to come out of that program is who, Desharnais? Lol

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What’s the point of playing college hockey if you’ve already graduated?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00