Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Interesting tidbit regarding the Russian scouts.
The most interesting bit is the fact that they're highly connected, which is really the key when dealing with that part of Asia. It makes it a bit more likely that we'd be able to get Murashov back at some point if he goes back, but again, I don't think the VHL is going to be as good for him as developing here.

Is skating really going to improve that much more at 21? It mentions also getting stronger which would improve his speed I guess.
Yeah, I have my doubts. Who was the last prospect who was able to significantly revamp their speed and skating?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The Penguins are at 49/50 contracts, yet they signed Howe first. Could be that they view him as more NHL ready or something completely different like Howe being in debt and needing the money asap. Regardless, Yager isn't getting signed until a contract gets moved out
Can't we go over in the summer like the salary cap as long as we're back under in September?

Reactions: Jacob

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
The most interesting bit is the fact that they're highly connected, which is really the key when dealing with that part of Asia. It makes it a bit more likely that we'd be able to get Murashov back at some point if he goes back, but again, I don't think the VHL is going to be as good for him as developing here.

Yeah, I have my doubts. Who was the last prospect who was able to significantly revamp their speed and skating?
If it comes down to his technique, I doubt he can change that. He’s probably been skating that way for at least 15 years.

If it is a matter of getting stronger he could probably get faster that way.

But yeah, it’s hard to think of players whose skating got meaningfully better in their 20s.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
FYI: I do have Hallander in my spreadsheet but he gets no ranking in the prospects list. He's young enough but I can't see him coming back. St. Ivany also isn't included in the rankings, but he's not included because he'll be 25 when the season begins.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
This isn't too surprising. From what Canes fans were saying, Koivunen is NHL-ready except for his skating. So essentially the only thing holding him back would be how quickly he can get that up to an NHL level.

Edit: Oh, cool. Taylor says essentially the same thing in the article.
WTF is it with this org an bad skaters? This has been an issue with their prospects going way back. Sure it's not the be all end all. But Boeser's 40 goals are few and far in between and the exception not the rule.

Reactions: Andy99

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
WTF is it with this org a bad skaters? This has been an issue with their prospects going way back. Sure it's not the be all end all. But Boeser's 40 goals are few and far in between and the exception not the rule.
I believe it’s out of necessity. If you found a prospect with Koivunen’s skill set AND he could skate well, he wouldn’t be available.

I believe every prospect we acquired in the Jake trade are not considered good skaters.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I asked this question on Hockey Reddit, and a good recent example is Lafreniere, who worked on his skating last offseason. Other recent examples include Marco Rossi and Dylan Strome.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all three were okay when drafted, they just wanted to get more refinement/get an advantage, no? I'm more curious about any players who were pegged as bad skaters when prospects but managed to improve their skating to the point of it no longer being a liability.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all three were okay when drafted, they just wanted to get more refinement/get an advantage, no? I'm more curious about any players who were pegged as bad skaters when prospects but managed to improve their skating to the point of it no longer being a liability.
New participants in the thread have suggested Mark Stone. They said that Stone's skating was a major reason why he fell to the 6th Round.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think if they pressed the matter they’d make an exception for Yager in the AHL. But it might not be a priority for them. Maybe they want to see how close to the NHL he is in camp and preseason.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It’ll be more apparent at training camp / preseason but I don’t think Koivunen is like a horrible skater from what I’ve seen. He’s kinda Guentzel like where it’s pretty okay but he has wide turns and isn’t super explosive.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Beau Bennett made pretty good strides in his skating. But injuries sort of chipped away at his other skills.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A bit more detail of why Yager can’t be in the AHL

Yeah this is exactly what I realized a few days ago. Yager wasn't granted exceptional status to play in the WHL at age 15, so it was impossible for him to get a full season in the eyes of the WHL. I like how Haase laid it out as "COVID got Yager 24 games in the WHL that year" rather than "COVID cost Yager a chance to get a full season", I think Haase's representation of it makes more sense.

I explicitly remember that Dylan Strome was viewed as a legitimately poor skater who improved as he got older.

From his draft profile:

"Strome shows a smooth skating stride, and good top end speed, but his acceleration and first few steps could use some improvement."

Reactions: Tom Hanks

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I find it hilarious that Dubas said Swift Current and shouted out a Utah prospect (at the time) but not Pickering

“It was a great experience that we want all of our guys to be exposed to," Dubas told me in Buffalo, N.Y. in June. "He had to go kind of toe-to-toe every step of the way throughout their playoff run against high-end, elite prospects on the other team -- Swift Current with (Lightning prospect Connor) Geekie, and then Saskatoon with (Maple Leafs prospect Fraser) Minton, Portland with (Red Wings prospect Nate) Danielson and guys like that."

• Wow
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I find it hilarious that Dubas said Swift Current and shouted out a Utah prospect (at the time) but not Pickering

“It was a great experience that we want all of our guys to be exposed to," Dubas told me in Buffalo, N.Y. in June. "He had to go kind of toe-to-toe every step of the way throughout their playoff run against high-end, elite prospects on the other team -- Swift Current with (Lightning prospect Connor) Geekie, and then Saskatoon with (Maple Leafs prospect Fraser) Minton, Portland with (Red Wings prospect Nate) Danielson and guys like that."
Think he was comparing him to the other top Cs in the tournament and how he fared against them.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I asked this question on Hockey Reddit, and a good recent example is Lafreniere, who worked on his skating last offseason. Other recent examples include Marco Rossi and Dylan Strome.

In the discussion it also mentioned Mark Stone. Rossi, Strome, Stone, etc all highlight the idea that you can be an NHL regular and have success even if you're not an elite skater as long as you have several other tools that make up for it. Positioning, IQ, passing, shooting, and moving "good enough" can get him to where we need him to be.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Another young player to WBS.
Mats Lindgren 19yo turns 20 in August

Originally drafted 2022 by the sabres .

WBS actually have some interesting players on AHL deals this year in Beck, Calvert, Klaasen and Lindgren.
Would be nice if some of them play good enough to earn an ELC contract later on.

Was pretty confident we would add another in Jelsma, but he hasn't signed yet, so I guess we'll see if it happens.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If his dad is Mats I had a cool card of his

1720828669926.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad