Minor Pro "Scorched Ice" Markets?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
expect we might add St. John's Newfoundland to the schorched ice list after the demise of DSE AND the Growlers by the ECHL I just got a weird response about Newfoundland/T/R in the Q Thread/FORUM and had the poster realized that the Q had already been in St. John's post MLSE

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Albany, aka "America's Worst Sports Town", is the No. 1 scorched ice market, at least for pro hockey. I highly doubt there will be a team in the MVP Arena anytime soon.

And spare me the BS about Glens Falls being the same market. It's an hour drive. It's the same market for television, sure, but I highly doubt that even 5% of the crowd on a given night (240 is 5% of a sellout at the 4,806-seat GFCC) at a Thunder game are driving up from Albany or even the northern Albany suburbs.

The No. 2 is Elmira, which was too small to support UHL or ECHL hockey and never had a good owner with enough money to do things the right way. The arena was a well-intentioned idea to develop some land and bring some people back to downtown, but between Mostafa Afr, Steve Donner, and Don "The Con" Kirnan, the place never had a chance. Robbie Nichols has had the good ideas and did the best he could, but even in the Federal League, you have a lot of expenses to cover, and a town as small as Elmira is always going to have trouble making it work.

Last edited:

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Don't think you'll ever see a pro Men's team in the Tsongas Arena in Lowell again. AHL Devils wanted out and UMass wanted them gone. Before the women's team started playing there, I would have said you'd never see a pro-team there period, since UMass wanted total control of the arena.

Pretty much all of Atlantic Canada can be written off at this point.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Don't think you'll ever see a pro Men's team in the Tsongas Arena in Lowell again. AHL Devils wanted out and UMass wanted them gone. Before the women's team started playing there, I would have said you'd never see a pro-team there period, since UMass wanted total control of the arena.

Pretty much all of Atlantic Canada can be written off at this point.

With the school owning the arena, that's basically a given. The PWHL is ok because it won't really cut into the UML ticket revenue stream and only plays, what, 24 home games, some of which are elsewhere?

Agree on Atlantic Canada. The money isn't there to support pro hockey anymore.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
Sorry but Adirondack definitely gets support from greater Albany area. Saratoga, Clifton Park, Half-moon, Malta, all are northern Albany burbs. Where do you think these folks work, vast majority Albany, Schenectady, and Troy. Some guy "thinks" that's BS lol, he doesn't even live here lol. Good thing opinions don't matter. Albany County is not interested in stepping on the toes of Glens Falls and the Adirondack Thunder. Albany County knows between the Thunder, RPI Engineers, and soon the Union Garnett Chargers will be playing in a new arena in nearby Schenectady. It's too much local competition with well established hockey programs in the area. It's just too much a gamble. Adirondack has built something special, to me making the 30 more minute drive to Glens Falls beats the 20 minute drive drive down to Albany's arena and most local hockey fans who still support the minor and college programs would agree with me. Imagine a guy from out of town whose sources are mostly fake news mixed with his own bias and opinion is going to convince me otherwise lol. Leave commenting on an area for the locals if you want accurate opinions.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GindyDraws

#HutchOut
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Oklahoma City is another Scorched market. The main arena is too busy with the NBA to offer quality dates, and the arena that actually had hockey got turned into a movie filming complex. This was despite the Blazers and Barons existing for more than 20 years in the modern era. The only thing left is the Oklahoma Warriors NAHL program.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Compare this place to the Norfolk scope…

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 3

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: