Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I gotta ask, why would you want to be a season ticket holder for a NAHL team? :laugh:

I had multiple teammates who played in the NAHL on my college team, and we only a club ACHA team
There's definitely some low budget teams out there but Johnstown annually is at the top of the attendance charts. Our arena is pretty decent, we won Hockeyville a handful of years back. Our ownership group has a pretty good chunk of change so the production they put on at the arena feels professional. Is there a good reason not to go watch good local hockey?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Capitals fan coming in peace... I'm a season ticket holder at my local NAHL rink and our goalie (Zack Ferris) was invited to your dev camp. Is he actually there? Haven't really seen anything except our team post a congrats on the invite on social media. How's he looking if he is there?
If he was invited, he either didn't accept, didn't show, or had the invitation pulled. He wasn't on the initial camp roster and he wasn't on the scrimmage rosters used today to finish camp.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's clear that Howe is a Sully type player. Yager isn't. It's not that hard to figure out.

Plus Yager has a gambling addiction and will blow his signing bonus hanging out with Despres.

:sarcasm:
It's true, Sully loves his sandpaper/agitators. Anyhow, sad to hear Yager has been found doing fat rails at the Spearmint Rhino. And getting pinched for shoplifting toothpicks at Get Go?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Would be nice for Yager to sign ofc. But one thing to note is that even tho Yager and Howe were drafted in different drafts, they can turn pro (AHL) the same year, next. Cause they are both '05 born.

I dont like drafting late birthhdays btw. Cause Howe really should have been producing like a draft+1 year. It's also his last shot at the WJC and he wont make it.

But as far as ELC goes I see Howe and Yager as the same timeline.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Would be nice for Yager to sign ofc. But one thing to note is that even tho Yager and Howe were drafted in different drafts, they can turn pro (AHL) the same year, next. Cause they are both '05 born.

I dont like drafting late birthhdays btw. Cause Howe really should have been producing like a draft+1 year. It's also his last shot at the WJC and he wont make it.

But as far as ELC goes I see Howe and Yager as the same timeline.
Yeah but his production was solid in his D-1 if you look at it like a really young draft year. Team effects in his D-0 limited him but still was “the guy” by some margin.

Production not an issue with me for Howe.

Reactions: Jacob

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Just like the Crosby signing, I won't feel comfortable until Yager is actually signed. I have been concerned about this all off-season. Now Howe signs. OK, great. Where is our top prospect by far?

Also, Sullivan's idea of sandpaper agitators is the least tough, most useless versions of those types of players that it should not even be a thing.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I do not actually believe Sullivan likes agitators.
I don't think he likes scrums or trash-talking or anything that is perceived as losing focus on the task at hand, which is winning the game.

Which is kind of fair. Teams, even the Panthers, can lose their focus and get in a lot of penalty trouble resulting in losing games.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think he likes scrums or trash-talking or anything that is perceived as losing focus on the task at hand, which is winning the game.
I think he doesn't even care about that, given how lacking in focus our PP was. :laugh: I'll be damned if I know what's really important for Sullivan. Rookies can come in, pot a goal and tally an assist and then get benched for a period over some weird illusory mistake. Vets can sit around not doing ANYTHING and get rewarded. Unless you're a vet that Sullivan doesn't like.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
He may and he's a Pens property, as odd as that sounds.
It's over. He shouldn't be listed on any prospect list. He's only Pens property in the same sense Sergei Anshakov was listed on the Pens reserve list every training camp for like 15 years.

457f1a1c6887a4684279ab995ecd47ad2e93f749.gifv

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
• An example of that: The Penguins' Russian scout Alexander Khavanov -- who was hired in July 2021 and around for the Sergei Murashov and Mikhail Ilyin picks -- left the organization last summer to take a scouting position with the Russian National Team. Dubas had increased responsibilities of the scouts when he took over, and Khavanov didn't like it and stepped down. He was quickly replaced by Leonid Vaysfeld, a former longtime KHL general manager with multiple clubs who also worked as an NHL amateur scout from 1990-03 with the Maple Leafs and Rangers. Vaysfeld had been working as a KHL analyst for Russian TV when he was hired by the Penguins. The Penguins then also hired a second Russian scout in Evgeni Bogdanovich, who worked as a scout with the Thrashers/Jets from 1999-2023, including directing the Jets' European scouting for the last 11 years. One guy leaves, they bring in two more with impressive resumes.

Taylor said this too.

I know there were some questions about Russian scouts.

Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
A bit more detail of why Yager can’t be in the AHL

The Clark hire is part of Fenway and Dubas' overall increased development to both development and scouting. Those staffs keep growing.

An example of that: The Penguins' Russian scout Alexander Khavanov -- who was hired in July 2021 and around for the Sergei Murashov and Mikhail Ilyin picks -- left the organization last summer to take a scouting position with the Russian National Team. Dubas had increased responsibilities of the scouts when he took over, and Khavanov didn't like it and stepped down. He was quickly replaced by Leonid Vaysfeld, a former longtime KHL general manager with multiple clubs who also worked as an NHL amateur scout from 1990-03 with the Maple Leafs and Rangers. Vaysfeld had been working as a KHL analyst for Russian TV when he was hired by the Penguins. The Penguins then also hired a second Russian scout in Evgeni Bogdanovich, who worked as a scout with the Thrashers/Jets from 1999-2023, including directing the Jets' European scouting for the last 11 years. One guy leaves, they bring in two more with impressive resumes.
Interesting tidbit regarding the Russian scouts.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Just like the Crosby signing, I won't feel comfortable until Yager is actually signed. I have been concerned about this all off-season. Now Howe signs. OK, great. Where is our top prospect by far?

Also, Sullivan's idea of sandpaper agitators is the least tough, most useless versions of those types of players that it should not even be a thing.

The Penguins are at 49/50 contracts, yet they signed Howe first. Could be that they view him as more NHL ready or something completely different like Howe being in debt and needing the money asap. Regardless, Yager isn't getting signed until a contract gets moved out

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
This isn't too surprising. From what Canes fans were saying, Koivunen is NHL-ready except for his skating. So essentially the only thing holding him back would be how quickly he can get that up to an NHL level.

Edit: Oh, cool. Taylor says essentially the same thing in the article.
Is skating really going to improve that much more at 21? It mentions also getting stronger which would improve his speed I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad