Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Brunicke at 17 is so wild to me. I cannot understand the anchor attached to him given his pretty clear-cut skating ability and overall talent level.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Brunicke at 17 is so wild to me. I cannot understand the anchor attached to him given his pretty clear-cut skating ability and overall talent level.

Danford kinda looks like a more advanced/less raw Brunicke and went 31st.

I think the question with both is their ability to put it on the tape over and over again under pressure.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

I was also surprised to see him that low and had to double check my inputs. It's pretty much that he's still in Juniors and has a similar floor to everyone at that level. His production so far is also just okay.

His info:

Ceiling: 2nd pairing, Two way
Floor: Minor leaguer

That results in a Potential Rating of 3.6/10. Ceiling is 75% of the rating.

"Readiness" is more complicated to explain. But as of right now he's only at a 2.1/10.

Potential Rating is worth 5/8 overall, Readiness is 1/4, and draft position is the remaining 1/8.

The highest Potential Rating in the sheet is at a 6.4 (no spoilers). Bedard was a 9.0 last offseason.

And the highest Readiness is someone currently in the AHL who has a 7.0 (again, no spoilers -- you've gotta like and subscribe). Bedard was at a 7.9.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Quoting my previous post on rankings since I messed up and had to update it.

Annnnd here is 20 to 11:

20​
tankov k
19​
broz t
18​
ludvig j
17​
brunicke h
16​
kral f
15​
gruden j
14​
jarventie e
13​
plante z
12​
swanson m
11​
gauthier t
Curious as to why the system ranks Plante so much higher than Lucius? Both are the same age but Lucius has been nearly PPG in college while Plante is just now entering college.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Curious as to why the system ranks Plante so much higher than Lucius? Both are the same age but Lucius has been nearly PPG in college while Plante is just now entering college.

Mostly due to their ceilings. Lucius = 3rd line two way player. Plante = 2nd line scorer. Lucius is more ready but that doesn't hold as much weight.

Their overall rating only differs by about 5 points.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He's certainly a better skater than Maatta is but Maatta used good gap control and positioning to overcome a lack of top speed. I think his ability to move is sufficient enough to make it.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Mostly due to their ceilings. Lucius = 3rd line two way player. Plante = 2nd line scorer. Lucius is more ready but that doesn't hold as much weight.

Their overall rating only differs by about 5 points.

Late to the party here, Randy. Is this your data? Do you mind sharing the link so I can check it out? This is interesting stuff here.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Late to the party here, Randy. Is this your data? Do you mind sharing the link so I can check it out? This is interesting stuff here.

Yes it's my data in the sense that I basically just plug in numbers 1 through 10 in a big spreadsheet. I tried to make it fully objective but that wasn't possible. The original thought was to just do NHL Equivalency points, but points aren't everything. I don't watch as much hockey as I used to so now it's mostly based on articles/scouting reports I've read and their offensive output (plus their role).

I'll send you a PM today or tomorrow.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
So with Clarke being brought in, the Pens have both Toronto and Ottawa's former directors of scouting.

Reactions: Jdodd

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yes it's my data in the sense that I basically just plug in numbers 1 through 10 in a big spreadsheet. I tried to make it fully objective but that wasn't possible. The original thought was to just do NHL Equivalency points, but points aren't everything. I don't watch as much hockey as I used to so now it's mostly based on articles/scouting reports I've read and their offensive output (plus their role).

I'll send you a PM today or tomorrow.

I often think models that are open about subjectivity but aggregate it through various factors and point systems are better than the hardcore quant stuff for stuff like ranking prospects. I appreciate this.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I know 4 on 4 prospect camp scrimmages isn't exactly the world juniors, but pretty impressive for Murashov to only concede one goal (Yager) in 3 games.

1720643715242.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad