Proposal: Pitt - LA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crown Royal

Apr 3, 2010
I never commented on the original proposal, I'm saying that the idea that Zucker has negative value or Zucker is comparable to Ladd is stupid.

Zucker's value is low, it's probably like a 3rd or 4th right now if the Penguins aren't taking back any money. I'm arguing against the asinine claim that he somehow has negative value.
Then we are in agreement that the original post is a bad proposal. Now as far as negative value is concerned, you have a player who you admit is overpaid by $1.5 million. Isn’t that another way of saying his contract has negative value and that the Pens would need to add something to balance out a deal to move him?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Then we are in agreement that the original post is a bad proposal. Now as far as negative value is concerned, you have a player who you admit is overpaid by $1.5 million. Isn’t that another way of saying his contract has negative value and that the Pens would need to add something to balance out a deal to move him?

No, that's absolutely absurd. A player does not inherently have negative value because they're overpaid, that's a ridiculous jump in logic. A player being overpaid decreases their value from their "fairly paid" value, it doesn't necessarily make it negative.

With Zucker being overpaid, he's worth a 3rd or 4th right now. If he was making $4 million (which is what is fair for him), he'd be worth more than a 3rd or 4th. If Zucker was making $4 million, a 2nd for him straight up is pretty reasonable.

Zucker isn't overpaid enough to take his value from a 2nd (which is roughly his value if he was fairly paid) to negative value. Him being overpaid takes him from a 2nd to a 3rd or 4th in value with the flat cap.

Last edited:

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Ice the same exact team that went out with a whimper in the first round? That seems like a good plan. I’m sure making upgrades to the roster won’t cost anything at all.

Upgrades don’t have to cost money. See the 2016 and 2017 Pens who upgraded by giving some of their young players playing time. And they made a few shrewd trades.

Building a team isn’t all about money but about the mix of players. Otherwise Toronto would have won a cup since 1967.

Crown Royal

Apr 3, 2010
No, that's absolutely absurd. A player does not inherently have negative value because they're overpaid, that's a ridiculous jump in logic. A player being overpaid decreases their value from their "fairly paid" value, it doesn't necessarily make it negative.

With Zucker being overpaid, he's worth a 3rd or 4th right now. If he was making $4 million (which is what is fair for him), he'd be worth more than a 3rd or 4th. If Zucker was making $4 million, a 2nd for him straight up is pretty reasonable.

Zucker isn't overpaid enough to take his value from a 2nd (which is roughly his value if he was fairly paid) to negative value. Him being overpaid takes him from a 2nd to a 3rd or 4th in value with the flat cap.
I don’t think I’m making a ridiculous jump in logic at all and I don’t really follow or subscribe to your pretzel logic. I’m not trying to start an argument or tell you Zucker is crap. I am saying his $1.5 million overpayment is a bit of an albatross around his neck

Reactions: deaderhead28

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t think I’m making a ridiculous jump in logic at all and I don’t really follow or subscribe to your pretzel logic. I’m not trying to start an argument or tell you Zucker is crap. I am saying his $1.5 million overpayment is a bit of an albatross around his neck

The point I was making is that while he's overpaid, he's not overpaid enough to make his value negative. Him being overpaid by like $1.5 million takes his value from a 2nd to a 3rd or 4th. It is a negative factor, just not big enough to sink his value into the negative range.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know Stepan only had 1 year left instead of 2 years left, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but I find it hilarious that Stepan went for a 2nd but fans in here are somehow arguing that Zucker would cost a 1st to get rid of.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Zucker hasn't lived up to expectations, but to insinuate that he's a negative asset is just absurd. If he's dangled and nobody offers anything, just keep him. The Pens are not in a cap situation right now that requires Hextall to move any more contracts (I'm sure he'd love more cap space, but it'd be a luxury and not a need) and there's plenty of reasons to expect Zucker to mildly bounce-back outside of covid times, even if he's not the player the Penguins acquired him to be.

Personally I hold little hope of Zucker playing up to his contract before it expires, but he'd have to fall off another cliff before I'm talking about paying someone to just take him. Andrew Ladd is 6 years older and last played a NHL game before the Covid shutdown. Under no lighting are they even remotely in comparable situations.

Not sure why LA would pay an asset for him right now, but that doesn't mean it'd make any sense for Pittsburgh to pay someone just to get rid of him. He's 29, not 39, and produced well in the very brief time he had in Pittsburgh pre-pandemic. I ain't about to write a sonnet extolling his virtue, but I ain't making a roadtrip to drive him to the airport, either.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No, the dense and clueless one seems to be you. How the f*** is Andrew Ladd even remotely comparable to Zucker? Zucker is still an effective player today. Zucker is coming off a season of about a 20 goal, 40 point pace.

Zucker is a slightly overpaid middle-6 winger. To compare him to Ladd is so laughably dumb and it fits exactly into the dumb claims this website makes.

So, why would the Kings be interested? If there's one thing we're not short on, it's middling scorers, and we could just promote a prospect...

I don't hate the idea, but LA isn't going to spend assets just to spend assets, if you've been paying attention to what Rob Blake has been doing. He could just go get Saad or Schwartz for free and for a team that's not going to be ultra competitive it's better to keep the assets imo.

That being said IIRC the Kings were linked to Zucker before as well so if they like him I'm not totally opposed though I think a 2nd is a little rich unless it's conditional.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
So, why would the Kings be interested? If there's one thing we're not short on, it's middling scorers, and we could just promote a prospect...

I don't hate the idea, but LA isn't going to spend assets just to spend assets, if you've been paying attention to what Rob Blake has been doing. He could just go get Saad or Schwartz for free and for a team that's not going to be ultra competitive it's better to keep the assets imo.

That being said IIRC the Kings were linked to Zucker before as well so if they like him I'm not totally opposed though I think a 2nd is a little rich unless it's conditional.
This

Especially considering that the ask is a 2nd.
The second round is where we get all magical and shit

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I wasn't commenting on whether the original deal is fair or makes sense, I was commenting on the asinine claims that Zucker has negative value. I don't think Zucker can bring back a 2md right now unless the Penguins are taking back some money, and I don't know why anyone would trade for him before seeing how the situations with Saad and Schwartz play out.

I think Zucker for a $2.5 million bottom-6 player and a 2nd is reasonable after Schwartz and Saad sign. That's pretty much exactly what Leddy brought back. I don't know if LA makes sense with that, but I think that general framework is reasonable.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsOfThe805

Jul 1, 2020
No, the dense and clueless one seems to be you. How the f*** is Andrew Ladd even remotely comparable to Zucker? Zucker is still an effective player today. Zucker is coming off a season of about a 20 goal, 40 point pace.
Doh!
Zucker is a slightly overpaid middle-6 winger. To compare him to Ladd is so laughably dumb and it fits exactly into the dumb claims this website makes.
Doh!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
From Rob Rossi:
Pettersson and winger Jason Zucker are thought to be available, and Hextall is expected to continue exploring moving one if not both this summer. Their cap hits — Zucker is at $5.5 million, with Pettersson at $4,025,175 — are problematic because Hextall intends to open contract talks with winger Bryan Rust and defenseman Letang early in August and would prefer to have established parameters of potential new deals for each going into next season.

Pens fans offended by the thought of having to send an asset with Zucker to remove his cap hit are in denial. I guess we'll see in due time what ends up happening with him, but describing that contract as problematic doesn't sound like an asset, does it?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From Rob Rossi:

Pens fans offended by the thought of having to send an asset with Zucker to remove his cap hit are in denial. I guess we'll see in due time what ends up happening with him, but describing that contract as problematic doesn't sound like an asset, does it?

And the NYI had to move Nick Leddy, who makes $5.5 million a year, and they got a bottom-6 winger and a 2nd for him.

You've already thrown out any shred of credibility you may have had by comparing Zucker to Ladd, so I don't even know why you're in this thread at this point.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
not likely

He’s one year removed from putting up 20-20 in 60 games and his contract while not ideal is fair value when a Goodrow just signed for 3.5 in UFA.

One bad season where he was injured and away from his family all season that culminated in 2 goals and 1 assist in the playoffs isn’t going to change his value from a 1st and Addison to nothing.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
He’s one year removed from putting up 20-20 in 60 games and his contract while not ideal is fair value when a Goodrow just signed for 3.5 in UFA.

One bad season where he was injured and away from his family all season that culminated in 2 goals and 1 assist in the playoffs isn’t going to change his value from a 1st and Addison to nothing.

You are entitle to your opinion and we will see soon if you are correct.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad