Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yager was always “quiet” when I watched but not necessarily in a bad way? You would have liked him to take over more for a lottery pick.

produced and performed at every single stop of his career. Has made a massive commitment (too much at times IMO) to being a 2-way player.

Keys for him being a stud in 8-10 years and not just a rosterable NHLer are improving his 1v1 game and overall strength/explosion. Not a big creator in the zone off the cycle with the puck, whether his own shot or looks for others. Hard to tell if he was right guy to be an off puck scorer that finds the quiet places on the ice because he played center. Really good off the rush.

I always thought more of a 20-20 wing than a 30G 2C but I hope he does well. I would make this move all day as a Pens fan but I think WPG did well.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Yea, but he wouldn't sign with Winnipeg unless they guaranteed him a spot on the team.

Shitty attitude to have.

I don't think I've read anywhere that he or his agent asked to be guaranteed a spot on the roster next season, but correct me if I'm wrong. Knowing that he may be riding a bus in Manitoba versus staying in college another year certainly probably contributed to the situation.

Below is what Friedman said on the situation over the summer on the 32 Thoughts podcast.

1724347865215.png

I can see your point where this may be a "shitty attitude", but this is also something that realistically (by delaying his ELC at least 1 year, possibly 2 if he were to have signed with Winnipeg only to play in the AHL this upcoming season) could've cost McGroarty millions of dollars.

The guy is a highly touted prospect that (seemingly) only increased his value after being drafted and saw teammates like Nazar, Brindley & Luke Hughes all go straight to the NHL immediately after their 2nd season at Michigan ended. I can see why he'd be a bit frustrated at the very least.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With the addition of McGroarty, Pittsburgh will have 16 players listed on CapWages for forwards.

Some will get put on waivers and sent to the AHL if cleared, maybe some trades? Who do the Pittsburgh fans think will get moved here?

I think they'll probably end up trading Eller for a mid rounder before the season starts. They have a ton of bottom-6 centers with signing Lizotte and being paid to take on Hayes and Glass.

What I'd want to run with right now is:

McGroaty-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Glass-Beauvillier
Hayes-Acciari

What I expect is that Eller gets traded and they run with:

McGroaty-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Hayes-Beauvillier
Lizotte-Glass-Acciari
Puustinen-Puljujarvi

Reactions: Fogelhund

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pens board is in love with Yager because he's the first legit top prospect we have had in years. Maybe the best prospect in a decade. It's going to take a little time to get over the idea of him leaving before we see this deal for what it is: an equal swap of talent and potential that nets us a player ready 1 year earlier, which is crucial considering Sid is in the twilight of his career.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm sure a few other teams were but Mcgoarty had a lot of stipulations that most teams weren't willing to cater too.

What "stipulations" exactly, other than wanted to sign a contract this summer?

I highly, highly doubt Dubas or Sullivan guaranteed him any playing time.

Mcdonaldz

Jul 26, 2021
Lucky enough for Winnipeg that the new guy is from Saskatoon

I know it’s not officially the reason RutMc wanted out but still… you’re more at risk if you get another american back I think

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The whole "wow he got value even when the player wanted out" is way overplayed. Jets would be losing his rights July 2026. It's not like there was any rush.

The longer a situation like this is strung along, the more leverage teams usually lose.

Next summer, it's easier for McGroarty to say he wants a max ELC, will only play for the New York Rangers, and wants them to pay royalties for a custom Rolling Stones goal song, otherwise, he will just play out the year and become a free agent.

The only leverage the Jets have is that they aren't trading him for less than a high 2nd, because they will get one of those in compensation if he walks.

My guess would be that this offer has been on the table all summer, but the Jets probably wanted an extra piece because McGroarty is the better of the two prospects, and the Penguins recognizing their leverage wouldn't do that.

This is a best case scenario return for the Jets. Waiting isn't getting them a better return than this, even if it is not full value.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pittsburgh, where prospects go to die... In the last 10 years do the Penguins have any draft picks or acquired prospects that had a good career in the NHL? 2013 was probably the last year.

If the cutoff is the 2013 draft with Jarry and Guentzel, you can also add on Kapanen, Sprong, Pettersson (acquired for Sprong), Marino (acquired from Edmonton), Sheary (UDFA), Aston-Reese (UDFA) and Gustavsson (not for the Penguins but for other teams). It's pretty mediocre and the draft record from 2016-2020 is pretty bad, but they have had a few prospects worthwhile come up through the system.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
With the addition of McGroarty, Pittsburgh will have 16 players listed on CapWages for forwards.

Some will get put on waivers and sent to the AHL if cleared, maybe some trades? Who do the Pittsburgh fans think will get moved here?
Bemstrom and Poolparty will be put on waivers. Acciari and Eller are candidates to be traded. The Pens making it out of camp healthy is also impossible so that will open a spot or two.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I don't know when it happened, but it would seem that McGroarty is represented by Crosby's long-time agent Pat Brisson. If he was representing McG ahead of time it could make sense why PIT went out to get him.

I'm not honestly sure how representation works for NCAA players though.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What "stipulations" exactly, other than wanted to sign a contract this summer?

I highly, highly doubt Dubas or Sullivan guaranteed him any playing time.
He wanted to bypass rhe AHL

Chevy would have been more than happy to sign him, let him compete for a spot in camp and then send him to the Moose if it didn't work out

I recall seeing (can't remember the source) that Rutgers camp actually wanted PP time guarenteed

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I suspect that when the Habs got Laine, McG was dead to us. Which probably gave Cheve few options but to take the Pens offer.

Having said that, there wasn't any actual rumour that Hughes wanted him. Just speculation. Asset wise, we have them in spades but the closes is Beck. I wouldn't trade Beck for McG because they are the same type of player without the baggage.

Anywho, Laine is proven and vastly superior to McG. All he cost is Molsons money.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
PP time, top 6 role etc. big asks for a kid that has never played a min in the NHL

He wanted to bypass rhe AHL

Chevy would have been more than happy to sign him, let him compete for a spot in camp and then send him to the Moose if it didn't work out

I recall seeing (can't remember the source) that Rutgers camp actually wanted PP time guarenteed

I'd be highly interested to see actual reports of him requesting PP time. Or even anything showing that he wanted to be guaranteed a spot in the NHL.

I posted the actual quote from Friedman on the situation earlier, which made it seem like it was a couple of factors that led to his decision to request a trade from Winnipeg...not that he or his agent had requested any guarantees.

Again, if I'm wrong on this would love to see the source of these alleged requests.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I suspect that when the Habs got Laine, McG was dead to us. Which probably gave Cheve few options but to take the Pens offer.

Having said that, there wasn't any actual rumour that Hughes wanted him. Just speculation. Asset wise, we have them in spades but the closes is Beck. I wouldn't trade Beck for McG because they are the same type of player without the baggage.

Anywho, Laine is proven and vastly superior to McG. All he cost is Molsons money.
cool story?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad