Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] G Tristan Jarry re-signs with the Penguins (5 years, $5.375M AAV)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I just don't know how many times big contacts have to be given out to mediocre/avaerage goalies and have them become absolute anchors before GMs stop doing it.

Jarry should have been on a one or two-year MAX contract worth $3-3.5mil or so. At most. While a decent goalie, he still has a lot to prove and I see a very low probability of him living up to the contract he signed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jarry is what he is, he puts up good numbers but is arguably the most unclutch goalie in hockey. He’s not a good goalie because he puts up good numbers nor is he a bad goalie because he’s super unclutch.

He’s a middle of the pack starting goalie in hockey, the contract he signed is completely in line with that. It is downright hilarious that a Leafs fan is bumping this while Samsonov has an .831 save% for the Leafs so far.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He’s a middle of the pack starting goalie in hockey, the contract he signed is completely in line with that. It is downright hilarious that a Leafs fan is bumping this while Samsonov has an .831 save% for the Leafs so far.

bumps aside, one signed for $3.55 million and the other signed for $26.9 million. Slightly different commitments.

Reactions: Smif and banks

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Jarry is what he is, he puts up good numbers but is arguably the most unclutch goalie in hockey. He’s not a good goalie because he puts up good numbers nor is he a bad goalie because he’s super unclutch.

To be fair, Samsanov is making 3.6 for 1 year, Jarry is making 5.4 for 5 years. Significantly different commitments.

Samsanov was a Dubas decision. He has a knack for finding mediocre goalies that can't perform in big moments.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
contract Jarring for pens fans

girl-laugh.gif

Reactions: randywoodsghost

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I just don't know how many times big contacts have to be given out to mediocre/avaerage goalies and have them become absolute anchors before GMs stop doing it.

Jarry should have been on a one or two-year MAX contract worth $3-3.5mil or so. At most. While a decent goalie, he still has a lot to prove and I see a very low probability of him living up to the contract he signed.
I wonder if Dubas went ahead with this as reaction to what happened with Campbell where he made the right call to let him walk, but had a contender with a huge hole at goalie so he had to try Matt Murray there (until Samsonov was not qualified). That was a failure, but not as bad as the alternative would have been (giving Campbell term).

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

The Leaf’s haven’t committed long term to Samsonov. Isn’t the same thing at all.

Reactions: Smif and banks

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wonder if Dubas went ahead with this as reaction to what happened with Campbell where he made the right call to let him walk, but had a contender with a huge hole at goalie so he had to try Matt Murray there (until Samsonov was not qualified). That was a failure, but not as bad as the alternative would have been (giving Campbell term).
Being so new, I'm sure he was depending on the evaluations of the team in place, mainly Sullivan and the assistance and the goalie coach.

To Dubas's defense, the goalie market was pretty atrocious this off-season. If Jarry made it to UFA, he arguably would have been the best goalie available.

I just wish they picked either term or cap hit not both. $5mil+ for 1-2 yrs okay. 5yrs at $3mil, fine. But they went for both and it leaves zero room for error in net with the remaining years of Sid, Geno, Letang, etc .

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
To be fair, Samsanov is making 3.6 for 1 year, Jarry is making 5.4 for 5 years. Significantly different commitments.

Samsanov was a Dubas decision. He has a knack for finding mediocre goalies that can't perform in big moments.

Yes, and he signed one for 5 years.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
His sample size is a lot bigger than 6 games
Are you referring to his 2x All-Star appearances within the past 4 years?

With a better back-up now, hopefully he has a smaller workload which prevents injury. Health, not ability, is his issue. The contract was always a risk, but not a giant albatross like some made it out to be.

Plenty of goalies have sucked their first playoffs, so that's water off a duck's back as far as I'm concerned. Now THAT's where a larger sample size needs to (can hopefully) be established.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
After shutting out the Avs today, Jarry is now up to a .917 save%.

Which perfectly shows why bumping a thread after a player has played 4 games of a 5 year contract is incredibly stupid.

Seeing how the main boards now has a "are the Avs pretenders?" thread, it seems like more than just this thread needs to learn that :laugh:
He still friggin sucks (dude).

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He still friggin sucks (dude).

If he sucks, then so do about half the starters in the league. There's a small handful of great goalie, and a small handful of terrible ones. Jarry is somewhere in the middle with everyone else.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Which perfectly shows why bumping a thread after a player has played 4 games of a 5 year contract is incredibly stupid.

Seeing how the main boards now has a "are the Avs pretenders?" thread, it seems like more than just this thread needs to learn that :laugh:

Down to a .901 after giving up 3 on 9 shots and getting pulled against the Senators.

You’re right, it is silly to bump a thread.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

How you feelin today?

Truly a baffling offseason by the Wubas.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
It's frustrating having to deal with this exact player for nearly 15 years in Fleury. Although it is quite humorous to see how a smile seems to eradicate about 60% of criticism. Even down to the random, unjustified extension after several down years.

I can say, at least Fleury was available to choke and be mediocre and not in the press box with some boo boo.

Penguins fans really didn't embrace how great they had it for the healthy years of Matt Murray.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad