Phoenix XXIV: How many twists does the scriptwriter have left?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pouzar

May 6, 2009
The Kop
Is there a copy of the letter that Goldwater sent to the potential investors floating around? Or is it the statement on their website?

Last edited:

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
After reading a few news clips. Some are thinking that either MH is going to add more cash to the deal(100 instead of 70) or the NHL might lower their asking price for MH to allow the COG to only require 70 million in bonds.

I believe both of these are possibilities. If the NHL wants to keep a team out of Winnipeg that much, they'll do whatever it takes.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Mork, given the three criteria you provided to make the interference claim, it appears the the COG might be able to argue 2/3 rds. Meatloaf says two out of three ain't bad, but judges may see it as one short. Did the GWI do anything illegal by sending a letter outlining their concern? I can't contemplate any scenario where that is illegal, though I am open to other opinions.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
if the NHL was desperate to keep the team out of Winnipeg THEY WOULDN'T SELL THE TEAM TO TNSE OR APPROVE THEIR RELOCATION TO WINNIPEG.

Stop turning everything into some conspiracy against Winnipeg. Maybe the parties involved just want to get the deal done? If not for the NHL's insistence on them being the backup plan, we wouldn't even be discussing Winnipeg right now.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Mork, given the three criteria you provided to make the interference claim, it appears the the COG might be able to argue 2/3 rds. Meatloaf says two out of three ain't bad, but judges may see it as one short. Did the GWI do anything illegal by sending a letter outlining their concern? I can't contemplate any scenario where that is illegal, though I am open to other opinions.

Neither can I. I am going to go with the assumption that if the CoG indeed file next week, it won't only be in regards to the GWI letter. If a lawsuit from GWI was make believe, investors would ignore it. Are investors that simple? This is either desperation or there is much more we don't know. I am leaning towards the former.

I am also curious about the rumours of naming individuals. What is the angle there? If its an attempt to intimidate, the courts aren't usually huge fans of that. This is some wacky stuff we have here.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
goyotes, I stand corrected. Glendale is desperate enough to take this absurd action. You were right, I was mistaken.

Casual Beads sales begin at SFO Intl Arpt on Monday morning.

As with every thing in this deal. I don`t believe it until it`s done. CoG hasn`t done anything they said they would do thus far. So I`ll believe it when I see it.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
What a game tonight! SRO crowd sees Coyotes, down 4-1 going in to 3rd, score three to tie it and win it shootout, dropping Wings 5-4.

And, yes, there were a lot of Wings fans there (as there are at every arena in the States).

After game Tippett quipped, "I think that's a game even the Goldwater group would like."

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
goyotes, I stand corrected. Glendale is desperate enough to take this absurd action. You were right, I was mistaken.

Casual Beads sales begin at SFO Intl Arpt on Monday morning.

Interesting in listening to the Brehn Resnik (can`t remember the correct spelling) interview recently posted. He said GWI is worth about 3 million dollars. So good luck collecting even if the CoG wins.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
And there's this.

The Phoenix Coyotes and Jobing.com Arena have lost $40 million this season, according to team buyer Matthew Hulsizer, although team officials say a typical end-of-season bounce should lessen that.

Team officials also point to positive signs in ticket sales. But as it stands, the losses have pushed up Hulsizer's purchase price to $210 million. The National Hockey League, owner of the orphan team, intends to lose no money on the team sale.

The NHL tacked on team and arena losses to the $140 million purchase price, which is what the league paid to take the team out of bankruptcy in late 2009. The team lost about $30 million last season.

The Chicago investor said he's willing to pay those losses if the team sale goes through.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2011/03/06/20110306coyotes-sale-price-rises-make-up-losses.html#ixzz1FnXKL4lZ

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
So the price is now 210 million?

I don't see how Hulsizer can or will pay it unless COG gifts him even more money.

Is that the same price they'll ask TNSE to pay?

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Phoenix TV station reported that the COG is prepared to file lawsuits against both the GWI and the individual directors of the GWI. Time for GWI to put up or shut up ... if they are just trying to intimidate/bluff, they'll either get out of the way or be put out of business.

ROFL This has to be the most idiotic thing I've ever heard in this idiotic saga.

1. How could Glendale ever prove losses? Especially in the hundreds of millions? There is absolutely no way to project losses of any sort in any way concrete enough for a judge to entertain it for more than a millisecond.

2. How the hell can Glendale sue GW and ask, "Oh, by the way, Mr. Judge, could you also tell us that our deal here is legal? Y'know, right after you tell GW to write us that billion-dollar check?"

3. Why would Glendale want to push this into the courts at this point? It would take weeks if not months to get this before a court. And I would bet that GW would immediately counter-sue, which would make the whole situation even messier.

I don't think this Glendale suit thing is anything but complete and utter ********. But if the city is stupid enough to try and sue GW, that will mark the end of the Coyotes in Arizona. No way would the NHL stick around for any sort of court battle here.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Do you have some basis for this?

I don't know anything about the law of Arizona, but in Ontario a successful action for intentional interference with economic relations would require proof of three essential elements: (i) intent to injure the plaintiff's economic relations; (ii) interference by illegal or unlawful means; and (iii) resulting economic harm.

IANAL - so I am stating things for clarification by those who are.

Would GWI not argue that their intent is not to harm the CoG's economic relations, rather it is to prevent the CoG from violating the AZ state Constitution and doing (in their view) illegal economic harm to the tax payers of Glendale.

Also - if the GWI rounded up a number of Glendale residents and sued on their behalf, then they wouldn't necessarily be a third party subject to interference, rather they would be representing parties who would potentially be injured by the CoG's risky, and potentially unconstitutional actions.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
So $110 million purchase price now instead of $70 ?

NHL isn't covering losses. Glendale isn't covering losses.

I'm calling balderdash on this !!!

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Team officials also point to positive signs in ticket sales. But as it stands, the losses have pushed up Hulsizer's purchase price to $210 million. The National Hockey League, owner of the orphan team, intends to lose no money on the team sale.

I guess all those posts regarding attendance issues were relevant after all.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No way would the NHL stick around for any sort of court battle here.

All that needs to be said here. This is clearly last second desperation that wasn't thought out too well.

The second that Glendale goes to court over this is the second the NHL calls up U-Haul.

I don't see a single way the team stays in Glendale right now.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
COG loses, and is stuck with an empty arena for a couple of seasons until the NHL grants them an expansion franchise?

There will be no expansion in the NHL in the next 20 years, at least. It will take ages to resolve the seven or eight problem spots that the last round of insane expansion created.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
What a game tonight! SRO crowd sees Coyotes, down 4-1 going in to 3rd, score three to tie it and win it shootout, dropping Wings 5-4.

And, yes, there were a lot of Wings fans there (as there are at every arena in the States).

After game Tippett quipped, "I think that's a game even the Goldwater group would like."

Yeah, who wouldn't pay $210 million plus interest to see 17,000 people at a game a couple of times a season or so?

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Would GWI not argue that their intent is not to harm the CoG's economic relations, rather it is to prevent the CoG from violating the AZ state Constitution and doing (in their view) illegal economic harm to the tax payers of Glendale.

I think it's pretty clear that Goldwater intended to interfere with Glendale's economic relations. Regardless of how anyone phrases it, I think Glendale would in substance establish the first part of the test (if that is the test that applies in Arizona at all).

It's the second part that has me stymied. I just don't see it.

The third part is up in the air as well. I would need to see the evidence before making up my own mind.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

The Phoenix Coyotes and Jobing.com Arena have lost $40 million this season, according to team buyer Matthew Hulsizer, although team officials say a typical end-of-season bounce should lessen that.

$40MM of losses already? And not according to the evil Canadian media, but according to Hulsizer and reported in a Phoenix paper?

:amazed:

$210MM as the purchase price? Even with the $100MM from COG and the 'management fees' this looks like a bad deal for MH.

GHOST

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Courts can move fast when they have to. Bush v Gore got decided in a week.

GWI will have to present to the judge enough evidence to prevent him from issuing some type of summary relief. A full trial can't happen, so GWI just has to be able to get close enough.

But if they are bluffing, and don't actually think it is illegal, then they will be in a world of hurt if this deal falls through.

You're actually comparing a ********* nuisance suit like this would be to the legal case that decided the winner of the 2000 presidential election? And incidentally, [mod], it took more than a month for the Supreme Court to basically declare Bush the winner, not a week. :handclap:

And GW is not bluffing. No way, no how. They clearly have a real case against this deal for violating the gift clause. Otherwise, what would the benefit here to being involved at all? Olsen, Sitren, and crew just got bored the last few weeks and decided to cause trouble?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad