Phoenix XXIV: How many twists does the scriptwriter have left?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Question for the lawyers. What role of the GWI board member who is the wife of the Diamondbacks' owner might play in the Glendale lawsuit? Could (or is) Glendale argue that GWI is acting as an agent of the Diamondbacks and is acting in an uncompetitive manner by chilling the bond sale (but not actually filing a suit against)?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Question for the lawyers. What role of the GWI board member who is the wife of the Diamondbacks' owner might play in the Glendale lawsuit? Could (or is) Glendale argue that GWI is acting as an agent of the Diamondbacks and is acting in an uncompetitive manner by chilling the bond sale (but not actually filing a suit against)?

she stated a while ago that she has no direct involvement in this specific case and i'm sure because of the potential conflicts of interest she will be able to prove it.

Einstein Theory

Dec 22, 2010
QUESTION (and I think I'm asking GSC2k2):

Does filing suit against GWI do anything to enable them to sell the bonds if GWI does not back down?

Or is this just an attempt to have GWI back down?

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Again with this one-note symphony! :shakehead No one is diminshing anything. They won CityNorth. It is IMO a poorly reasoned and accordingly incorrect decision - whoops, am I diminishing the AZ SC's decision-making abilities? I presume that you have read law reviews and are familiar with the time-honoured process of critiquing and disagreeing with the outcome of decided cases? We are allowed - even encouraged - to do so in this country (and others), and I know the same tradition is followed in the US.

GSC, my old friend, for all the positive contributions you make here there is still so much unrealized potential for you to engage discussion with far greater tact.

I understand the time honored practice of critiquing decided cases. I support it fully. Would you say there is much critique in "the dog caught a bus"? There is quite a bit of insult there, to be certain. Carry on as you see fit.

Turkpbr*

QUESTION (and I think I'm asking GSC2k2):

Does filing suit against GWI do anything to enable them to sell the bonds if GWI does not back down?

Or is this just an attempt to have GWI back down?

When you get your answer, make sure you copy and past it right away at azcentral (JLP).

Dugray

No Gifs This Time
Nov 22, 2006
Longueuil
Hopefully next week we get closure, one way or another. The NHL has been very patient. I'm not sure they're willing to have another lawsuit in the headlines.

Retail1LO*

Honestly, it's as much fun watching the lot of you defend your positions as it is following what's actually happening with this situation.

I will say though, it's a much more brilliant display of wit and well executed grammar than reading a debate about the merits of the trap and whether or not a 2-1 hockey game is as exciting as a 6-5 one in one of the other forum sections.

Retail1LO*

Hopefully next week we get closure, one way or another. The NHL has been very patient. I'm not sure they're willing to have another lawsuit in the headlines.

You never know. The Sunbelt expansion was Bettman's lil baby. I know he'll support anything that will help support his decision to infuse hockey into places where ice just isn't natural.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You never know. The Sunbelt expansion was Bettman's lil baby. I know he'll support anything that will help support his decision to infuse hockey into places where ice just isn't natural.

I don't think Bettman is as enamored with Sunbelt expansion as people think he is. He wouldn't have been discussing Winnipeg as he has if he was that entrenched in infusing hockey in non-traditional markets.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly, it's as much fun watching the lot of you defend your positions as it is following what's actually happening with this situation.

I will say though, it's a much more brilliant display of wit and well executed grammar than reading a debate about the merits of the trap and whether or not a 2-1 hockey game is as exciting as a 6-5 one in one of the other forum sections.

They don't want this casting a pall over the playoffs like it did 2 years ago.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Everyone seems to forget the most recent expansion was to the Great Lakes region and that the so-called Sunbelt expansion era also saw Ottawa enter the league

Retail1LO*

I don't think Bettman is as enamored with Sunbelt expansion as people think he is. He wouldn't have been discussing Winnipeg as he has if he was that entrenched in infusing hockey in non-traditional markets.

He might not be as enamored with it NOW...but there certainly was no holding back when the league imposed itself on Atlanta, Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Dallas, and Phoenix.

Ironically, Carolina, Tampa, and Dallas have all won cups. Florida has been to one. Most of those teams are currently competitive, if not very much so. Despite that, it's amazing how lukewarm a draw some of those teams are.

Edit: I'm aware that Carolina was a relocation from Hartford, and Dallas from Minnesota. Both strange relocations, to me.

GSC2k2*

GSC, my old friend, for all the positive contributions you make here there is still so much unrealized potential for you to engage discussion with far greater tact.

I understand the time honored practice of critiquing decided cases. I support it fully. Would you say there is much critique in "the dog caught a bus"? There is quite a bit of insult there, to be certain. Carry on as you see fit.

I am not sure if you catch my meaning of "dog catches bus", since there is nothing derogatory about it IMO.

The meaning of that expression is to describe a circumstance where an unexpected event occurs for someone who has been repeatedly trying to make it happen adn the resultant reaction. Based on the existing caselaw to date prior to Turken, I feel comfortable in assuming that GWI would have been pleasantly but thoroughly stunned at a positive decision in that case, no matter how well they may have felt in their written and oral argument.

I doubt they would have been prepared as to what to do about it or with it.

As an aside, you want tact, you gotta pay extra. ;)

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Just when I thought this couldn't get anymore lawyered up.

I wonder if anyone has added up all the lawyer fees that its costing the CoG to get through this.

Bonus :) Lawyers have to eat, too, you know :yo:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
He might not be as enamored with it NOW...but there certainly was no holding back when the league imposed itself on Atlanta, Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Dallas, and Phoenix.

Ironically, Carolina, Tampa, and Dallas have all won cups. Florida has been to one. Most of those teams are currently competitive, if not very much so. Despite that, it's amazing how lukewarm a draw some of those teams are.

Edit: I'm aware that Carolina was a relocation from Hartford, and Dallas from Minnesota. Both strange relocations, to me.

Bettman wasn't there with Tampa got a team. Florida and Anaheim were awarded teams the same day Bettman was named commissioner (so he probably had little involvement in those). And I wouldn't say the league imposed themselves on any of those cities. In all of those cases there were those in the community who wanted to bring a teams there.

And at this point I don't think anyone can argue that the Whalers/Hurricanes franchise isn't in a better place at this point.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Phoenix TV station reported that the COG is prepared to file lawsuits against both the GWI and the individual directors of the GWI. Time for GWI to put up or shut up ... if they are just trying to intimidate/bluff, they'll either get out of the way or be put out of business.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Phoenix TV station reported that the COG is prepared to file lawsuits against both the GWI and the individual directors of the GWI. Time for GWI to put up or shut up ... if they are just trying to intimidate/bluff, they'll either get out of the way or be put out of business.
Or kill the deal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The league made those decisions and most of that had very little to do with Bettman in particular. The only thing that Bettman himself is enamored with is keeping his owners happy and if the owners would be happy with a team in Phoenix, Winnipeg, or Mexico City, he'll do what is required of him for that to happen. I don't think he cares where any particular team is actually located.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005

As others have already pointed out, this is simply factually inaccurate.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If they do not plan to execute the lease (which would seemingly be the end), then there would be no point whatsoever in asking for declaratory relief regarding the legality of the transaction.

Indeed. While the rumor mill (including Hot Stove) suggests suits against ind. members of the GWI's Board and "others". Frankly, I think it prudent to wait & see what (if anything) they actually do on Monday morning.

My money is on the suit being nothing more significant than political posturing for their own political benefit.

Agree. I cant imagine the NHL wanting to go there (court, more delays, loss of control) for a second.

First of all Retail, there isnt now nor ever was anything called The Sunbelt Expansion. I think you & others are confusing the working title of a movie that starred Charlton Heston & Charlton Heston which was eventually released direct to video as Solar Crisis. You can thank Phil Esposito & many many others from the John Ziegler / Al Eagleson Happy Gang Days of the 1980's for expansions into markets that you so obviously disapprove of. Blame the right party's, please. Bettman was simply tasked to oversee its' execution, replacing Ken Doll Johnny who wanted more time to work on his tan and join drinking Buddy George Hamilton III at his piede de' terre just outside of Zurich, enjoying full Brazillians & daily Enemas' administered by Midget Bathing Beauty's . Stop with the Bettman hating already, and be careful what you wish for. :)

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
seems like a big ol' game of chicken now...

'GWI, if you don't back down we are going to sue you to the stone age'....

if they don't back down they probably kill it...i cant imagine that they have enough time to get a ruling on the legality of the lease agreement under the time restrictions they now face.

they are all in....will GWI flinch?

will they have to actually sign the lease before they can get a ruling on its legality?

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
seems like a big ol' game of chicken now...

'GWI, if you don't back down we are going to sue you to the stone age'....

if they don't back down they probably kill it...i cant imagine that they have enough time to get a ruling on the legality of the lease agreement under the time restrictions they now face.

they are all in....will GWI flinch?

will they have to actually sign the lease before they can get a ruling on its legality?
Courts can move fast when they have to. Bush v Gore got decided in a week.

GWI will have to present to the judge enough evidence to prevent him from issuing some type of summary relief. A full trial can't happen, so GWI just has to be able to get close enough.

But if they are bluffing, and don't actually think it is illegal, then they will be in a world of hurt if this deal falls through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad