Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
The debt service on the loan from Fortress.

The Fortress fund is like a lender of last resort, making the type of loans nobody else will. Fortress themselves do not make the loan but rather an investment fund that they manage is the lender. They will charge a very high rate and also take some potential upside in the value of the asset through the warrants, which are similar to call options.

You don't borrow from a fund like this unless you have absolutely no choice.

So those folks think they will move the franchise in Seattle for what 350M?

Do they know its hockey, not football?

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg

The Fortress fund is like a lender of last resort, making the type of loans nobody else will. Fortress themselves do not make the loan but rather an investment fund that they manage is the lender. They will charge a very high rate and also take some potential upside in the value of the asset through the warrants, which are similar to call options.

Basically a loan shark:naughty:

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
$6m a year might not cover the interest alone, much less repayment, much less the cost of operating the arena. Glendale isn't going to pull $15-20m a year out of their ass. This is nonsense.

Although I cannot confirm it I believe the arrangement with Fortress has been around since at least JIG v1.0

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Yes reports suggested that they were quite ruthless in their dealings with Millenium & the City of Vancouver over the athletes village fiasco. The situation in Whistler fall 2009 rather tense. I dont really know much more about them then that, didnt even make the connection until someone pointed it out.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Although I cannot confirm it I believe the arrangement with Fortress has been around since at least JIG v1.0

The JIG deal was frontloaded with the approximate amount being discussed here. $120m in the first five years or so, right? So it was doable then. A disgusting moonshot subsidized by a city, but doable. Now? Not a chance in hell. If the condition of RSE getting a lease done has been $15m+ all along, this deal was dead the moment they entered the picture.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

You know, after mulling over your post for the last 40 minutes it dawned on me...

Given all these "details" of the deal (via Forbes), why does this whole scenario sound a lot more like LeBlanc than it does Gosbee?

Perhaps I'm giving Gosbee too much credit? This supposed "deal" doesn't seem to resinate or have that Gosbee "vibe". This deal doesn't ooze "protection" for Renaissance, this thing stinks of desperation.

Lender of Last Resort?

NHL-backed (endorsed) deferment?

$45M / remainder financed?

Again, maybe it's just me or I'm off the grid regarding Gosbee but, man... now that it's sinking in, this looks to be the more in-depth revealings of IceEdge's first go at it than Renaissance.

Carry on

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Glendale paying for "arena management"

Well, they have sent out an RFP and they will know exactly what they are able to get for the 6 million once they open any packages that have been sent to them as a response from other arena management companies.

It's very probably that they will be offered some very nice returns in terms of generated revenue as a result of new AMF's.

I see a lot of people getting ahead of themselves by talking about 6, 8, 12, 15 million for an AMF when it seems questionable that the COG would want RSE/NHL as the arena manager at 6 million alone.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
She claim it 9% interest and this deal is crazy enough for her to be right. On a $120 million debt that $10.8 million a year just in interest?

Sounds about right. I would have expected it to be higher but interest rates are so low these days. They also have to repay the debt.

I wouldn't consider this such a sweetheart deal for RSE. The NHL's loan will only cover about $15 million in operating costs per year, which means they're going to have to return to profitability within 5 years just to break even and their upside is limited by Fortress' warrants.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
You know, after mulling over your post for the last 40 minutes it dawned on me...

Given all these "details" of the deal (via Forbes), why does this whole scenario sound a lot more like LeBlanc than it does Gosbee?

Perhaps I'm giving Gosbee too much credit? This supposed "deal" doesn't seem to resinate or have that Gosbee "vibe". This deal doesn't ooze "protection" for Renaissance, this thing stinks of desperation.

Lender of Last Resort?

NHL-backed (endorsed) deferment?

$45M / remainder financed?

Again, maybe it's just me or I'm off the grid regarding Gosbee but, man... now that it's sinking in, this looks to be the more in-depth revealings of IceEdge's first go at it than Renaissance.

Carry on

Do you remember who recruited Hulzinger?

I have to quote myself. Five minutes after the Hulzinger lease was posted to the COG website:
are they just handing him $100 mm?

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Looks like a Plan B. A steward for the Coyote throne, should a QC deal fall through. You can say and do whatever you want if you know the city has zero chance of coming up with the money necessary. Lipstick on a pig. This news is devastating as a Coyote fan, but not unexpected. It shatters the illusion that Gosbee had the money necessary to make a run at this thing. That was tenuous to begin with, having need still of a hefty AMF. But now? Shattered. A grifter waiting around for a sweet deal.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Cant remember exactly, but $196M seems to ring a bell. In addition to that he was willing to basically gift the COG either $25M or $50M in "transition funds" to help them on their journey with the building, additionally offering to MLSE & I believe the Sabres a negotiated set of indemnification fee's, and also offered the Arena Management Contract & Concessions at Copps to the former. He was also offering to cover somewhere around 33%+ on an app $200M reno, the city & province kicking in the rest.

$212.5 million for the team, which would have cleared 100% of all debts including those owed to Moyes and Gretzky. In addition he initially offered Glendale $25 million and then later raised it to $50 million.

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
I came here a few weeks back and asked if anything had happened... Someone said something would happen on May 24.

It's May 30th, anything?

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
$212.5 million for the team, which would have cleared 100% of all debts including those owed to Moyes and Gretzky. In addition he initially offered Glendale $25 million and then later raised it to $50 million.
I wonder if Judge Baum would like to comment on his ruling now. Some journalist should track him down.

I came here a few weeks back and asked if anything had happened... Someone said something would happen on May 24.

It's May 30th, anything?
A lot of things happened since May 24th. We learned last Tuesday how hard Gary would try selling the deal to Glendale. Turn out he gave it one morning and could not wait to get off the tarmac before washing his hand of the whole deal. The same night we learned that Glendale has budgeted 6 Million no more and the rewrote their budget policy to stop creative accounting. And today somebody leaked to Forbes the details of the RSE deal and it a joke.

Last edited:

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC

It's May 30th, anything?

The bid unsealing ceremony has been pushed back until tomorrow. Be sure to stock up on Cheetos and champagne.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

It's May 30th, anything?

No. If Glendale will pay double what they have stated they are able to pay, Gosbee and the NHL can close a deal for the Coyotes to stay in Glendale. If the city refuses to pay up? Nobody on his board knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad