Phoenix LXXV: It's Like Deja Vu All Over Again

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Coyotes officially eliminated from playoffs.
Only 2 home games left. Interesting to see if Bettman makes any comments this week.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
With Minnesota winning tonight, are the Coyotes now officially eliminated from the playoffs? Someone laid out the scenario of possible outcomes but its so damn confusing I can't even begin to wrap my head around it.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
With Minnesota winning tonight, are the Coyotes now officially eliminated from the playoffs? Someone laid out the scenario of possible outcomes but its so damn confusing I can't even begin to wrap my head around it.

Yes they are officially out now. Minnesota only needed 1 point.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
"Paperwork accompanying the request shows the city has lost at least $5 million on arena operations in each of the past three years."... Now by saying they "lost" at least $5MM each of the past 3 years on arena operations... where do they get this number from and what do they mean by it?

You'd have to go back & re-read the RFP to find out specifically what the reporter is referencing, see what Beacons & the Citys rationale is on that claim. I seem to recall its worded in such a way as to have "fallen short on projected revenues". Ignores the fact that the COG had in fact grossly over-paid the NHL by over quadruple the going rate two years running, failing miserably in their performance of duty of course, none the less, its not exactly an honest assessment/statement/claim to be making.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

Like others have said - officially out. Here is why:
PHX has an upper limit of 52 pts. Since Minny now has 53, only the 8th spot could be in play for PHX, so they have to pass all 3 of Dal, Det, Cmb.

Now, let us first consider Dallas' schedule. They have games with both Det and Cmb. If they win both, they end up with 52 pts, and they would win the tiebreak with PHX. That means that either Det or Cmb has to beat Dallas for PHX to have a chance.

Now, Columbus. If Cmb beats Dal, Cmb ends up with 53 points, so PHX would be out. Therefore, Cmb can't beat Dal. In fact, if Cmb wins at all, PHX is out.

So, finally, Det. Det has to beat Dal. But, Det also plays Cmb. Cmb can't win any games, so Det has to beat Cmb, too. Thus, Det ends up with 54 pts, and PHX is still out.

I know that's complicated. But, it all adds up to: with the schedule the way it is, no chance for PHX.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Time for GB to man up and tell the faithful what his plan for the Coyotes is! Should he fail to say anything this week, it will confirm what a manipulative little midget he is!

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
Time for GB to man up and tell the faithful what his plan for the Coyotes is! Should he fail to say anything this week, it will confirm what a manipulative little midget he is!

You think he will do the right thing and let the fans say goodbye or do you think he'll pull a 'Baltimore Colts' type situation and sneak them out of Glendale on a pair of moving vans?

DyerMaker66*

He didn't specify a scale.

I still don't think it's true: There was someone more interested than Balsillie? There's more than the 4 groups/people that were interested at one point in time?

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Like others have said - officially out. Here is why:
PHX has an upper limit of 52 pts. Since Minny now has 53, only the 8th spot could be in play for PHX, so they have to pass all 3 of Dal, Det, Cmb.

Now, let us first consider Dallas' schedule. They have games with both Det and Cmb. If they win both, they end up with 52 pts, and they would win the tiebreak with PHX. That means that either Det or Cmb has to beat Dallas for PHX to have a chance.

Now, Columbus. If Cmb beats Dal, Cmb ends up with 53 points, so PHX would be out. Therefore, Cmb can't beat Dal. In fact, if Cmb wins at all, PHX is out.

So, finally, Det. Det has to beat Dal. But, Det also plays Cmb. Cmb can't win any games, so Det has to beat Cmb, too. Thus, Det ends up with 54 pts, and PHX is still out.

I know that's complicated. But, it all adds up to: with the schedule the way it is, no chance for PHX.

Assume Dallas hangs on tonight its over. There is no scenario that will get the Coyotes into the playoffs because someone else will have at least 52 points and the tiebreakers work against the Coyotes in every scenario.

However, you won't get an announcement by the end of the week, because there is not enough time to finalize an agreement with whichever city. The Thrashers-TNSE deal took weeks even after the price was agreed to. Damn lawyers.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Assume Dallas hangs on tonight its over. There is no scenario that will get the Coyotes into the playoffs because someone else will have at least 52 points and the tiebreakers work against the Coyotes in every scenario.

It doesn't matter if Dallas hangs on or not. One of the teams ahead of the Coyotes in the standings will end up with 52 points regardless.

Thats what aqib said.... so ya, done like dinner. No way does the league make anykind of announcement because guess what? Nothing to announce. Even after 4yrs, havent got a clue what their doing, how to play it, short of playing the former City Council & now that their gone, what next? It'd be funny if it wasnt so pathetic.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I still don't think it's true: There was someone more interested than Balsillie? There's more than the 4 groups/people that were interested at one point in time?

Many groups interested just a few weeks ago according to l'ill gary. Interest has never been higher.:amazed:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Thats what aqib said.... so ya, done like dinner. No way does the league make anykind of announcement because guess what? Nothing to announce. Even after 4yrs, havent got a clue what their doing, how to play it, short of playing the former City Council & now that their gone, what next? It'd be funny if it wasnt so pathetic.

K - I almost agree. This league has shown so little foresight for a long long long time that it is easy to imagine that they don't know what they will do. No local buyer. Perhaps no real strong negotiations with PKP yet. I think you may be right, and NHL is simply hoping a miracle drops out of the sky some how.

Probably there has been better analysis here than in any league conversation about what to do with this franchise.

How pitiful and comical at the same time is that?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Many groups interested just a few weeks ago according to l'ill gary. Interest has never been higher....

He did make that comment rather bemusedly, spontaneously & off the cuff. Rather sardonic sense of humour does that one have, and in humour, truth... almost came right out & qualified the statement with "unfortunately, none of them can finance a ham sandwich much less an NHL franchise". You could hear it in his voice, the way he delivered.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
maybe the league is now waiting for the Sacramento kings issue to be resolved...if the team moves to Seattle then the Coyotes move to Seattle.. if the Kings stay in Sacramento then the Coyotes move to Quebec.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
He did make that comment rather bemusedly, spontaneously & off the cuff. Rather sardonic sense of humour does that one have, and in humour, truth... almost came right out & qualified the statement with "unfortunately, none of them can finance a ham sandwich much less an NHL franchise". You could hear it in his voice, the way he delivered.

Equally amusing was Daly's comment about the RFP not being a problem for a Coyotes sale. Beasley informing the COG the opposite information any time it was mentioned.:shakehead

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Probably there has been better analysis here than in any league conversation about what to do with this franchise... How pitiful and comical at the same time is that?

Oh gosh MNN, I doubt very much if any of the other 29 teams BOG's actually give a Flying Fadoo one way or another, despite Craig Leipolds statement of a few weeks ago. They have their own sets of problems to deal with, this is Gary's problem, not theirs, and until it impacts one or more of them, be it realignment or whatever, they'll just keep it zipped, play along, let their Commissioner play it & deal with it however he best see's fit. If Pierre Karl Peladeau had any friends on the existing Board of Governors lobbying on his behalf, this thing wouldve probably been over a year ago. Instead, youve got the opposite. Im guessing some blowback out of Montreal & Desmarais, a still smarting retreat from Atlanta, "other factors" (Seattle) that make staying pat & put in Phoenix as likely as a sale & a move. Its literally 50/50 the way I see it. Wouldnt surprise me either way, stay/go.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Equally amusing was Daly's comment about the RFP not being a problem for a Coyotes sale. Beasley informing the COG the opposite information any time it was mentioned.:shakehead

Might be amusing to some ... but I think it's dead on.

NHL is going to unload the franchise, whether it be to a buyer keeping it in Glendale or somewhere else.

Their AMUL with Glendale they currently operate under is renewable annually at their discretion AND it's transferable. Meaning no matter what Beacon does.... the NHL's AMUL is still in force.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Might be amusing to some ... but I think it's dead on.

NHL is going to unload the franchise, whether it be to a buyer keeping it in Glendale or somewhere else.

Their AMUL with Glendale they currently operate under is renewable annually at their discretion AND it's transferable. Meaning no matter what Beacon does.... the NHL's AMUL is still in force.

The AMUL where they run the arena for free? good luck finding a buyer for that.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Ya, Billy does that self satisfied arrogance schtick like a real pro. Ive always loathed yet oddly admired him at the same time for it. Low key B flat brazen on the saxophone. Works a treat. Has that sleazy yet high class strip joint feel to it.

Pretty much. And Billy there? Why, he can slip from B flat brazen to F sharp **** you with a single finger movement, suck the air right out of the room, let er wail. Whatever Beacon or the City intend? Ah, not so fast my friends. So ya, we should see shortly just what the league intends to do here. Put their money where their mouths at.... or bail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad