Phoenix LXXV: It's Like Deja Vu All Over Again

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Your identity and pride are based on the geographic location of a sports entertainment product? MOD

Uh... yeah? Of course it does. Your team and your town can, and often does, go hand in hand. A team abandoning you, your fanbase, and your market can be a huge deal for the vast majority of fans.

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
What you think it's like:

nerd.jpg

What it's really like:

cloud-computing-beach-computer.jpg

:laugh:

What's funnier is I do know more than a couple of people who are definitely in the "what you think it is" photo :)

Blue Warriors

Apr 11, 2012
St-Lawrence River
What about the Quebec Remparts marketing team...im not sure if its Expo Cite that take care of it but the Remparts average about 12k fans every game....could this be considered as a "another winnipeg"? Im not sure how many fans the Moose averaged every game but its probably similar as the Remparts?

TNSE owned the Moose but PKP doesn't own the Remparts. The organization might not even be friendly because Desmarais is one of the owners.

The NHL is really silent right now. Are they really still trying to approve another prospective owner like Jamison last year? Does anyone remember when it became clear Jamison was selected by the NHL last spring? (I'm not referring to the infamous postseason 'weeks not months' press conference, but before that).

howie789

Aug 22, 2009
Geographycally speaking, this is right.

In the real life, I doubt it'd happen because of time zones.

Until the next realignment is made (say 2015), simply move COL-PAC and put QC with CHI and co.

Maybe something else is planned, who knows?

every team has one West Coast trip at least now. Detroit moving back to the Central makes sense. They should make a deal that they will only have 10 trips out West, compared to 11 every year (since they will pay 3 games vs the 7 Pacific teams). Then they should ask the NHL that 4-5 of these games be a matinee game (Sat or Sun afternoons). 4 PM starts EST, for the fans sake. So basically they might only have three or four 10pm or 1030 pm starts tops, and one-two 9PM starts. EVERY TEAM WILL though. They will keep their Norris Division rivals in tact- Chicago, St Louis, the new Minnesota, Winnipeg and Dallas (the old Minnesota).You can live with the 8- 830's if you ask me. What would Det not like about this, other than air miles? You keep the Hawks rivalry intact.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Uh... yeah? Of course it does. Your team and your town can, and often does, go hand in hand. A team abandoning you, your fanbase, and your market can be a huge deal for the vast majority of fans.

Perhaps they go hand and hand for a small number of fans but the overwhelming percentage of the population does not derive their identity from a sports franchise. My point was emoting over the loss of a team seems deranged and is likely an indication of fatuousness.

We can agree to disagree on that point. Cheers.

GuelphStormer said:
remind me not to give you the DNR papers and put you in charge of pulling the plug, you rational heartless *******, you ...

Exactly! But in all seriousness, I guess I didn't perceive that my post could be inflammatory. I was just offering an opinion. At least it wasn't about realignment...

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
. My point was emoting over the loss of a team seems deranged

Well you are right, its not logical and it doesn't make sense. I think most of us know that it is a little irrational how much we throw into our 'fandoms'.

The Highs are higher, the lows are lower.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
So getting back to the business at hand-has anyone heard anything more (other than the "according to insiders" stuff)about the NHL and comments about how close they are to considering outside buyers?

Things are just very quiet at the moment, and with a "supposed" announcement before playoffs and the May 24 deadline-nary a peep.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Crying because a sports franchise may relocate? The mind of the fanatic is a very puzzling place.

I cried when the Nordiques moves to Colorado...

What? Why not?

If you're a fan of a team, then logically it's become a big part of your recreation time, how you identify yourself, what you invest your time and emotions into, and even your civic pride. I can guarantee that if the Hawks, Cubs, or Bears ever relocated out of Chicago, I'd openly weep when it was all said and done. A huge emotional attachment of mine would be just gone out of the blue.

Totally understand people getting sad or angry if their team gets relocated. Even for teams with troubled fanbases, doesn't mean that there aren't diehard fans.

If the Yotes move, there will be heartbroken fans, just as was the case when the Jets, Nordiques, North Stars, Whalers, and yes, even Thrashers all moved.

Absolutely CF. You know that. Its a gut
wrenching experience for 1000's. Couch time...

347026_o.gif

makin fun a this guy alrighty, but not the true fans. Never.

Some people get it, some people don't. Not everyone can be an invested fan.

two weeks is when the BOG votes on Kings relocation ;)

Your identity and pride are based on the geographic location of a sports entertainment product? MOD

Get what?

The irrational emotional attachment to sports.

MOD

Perhaps they go hand and hand for a small number of fans but the overwhelming percentage of the population does not derive their identity from a sports franchise. My point was emoting over the loss of a team seems deranged and is likely an indication of fatuousness.

We can agree to disagree on that point. Cheers.

Exactly! But in all seriousness, I guess I didn't perceive that my post could be inflammatory. I was just offering an opinion. At least it wasn't about realignment...

Were on a lost highway CF. Situation
beyond deranged. People getting hurt.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aepBpZ3kXek :(

Well you are right, its not logical and it doesn't make sense. I think most of us know that it is a little irrational how much we throw into our 'fandoms'.

The Highs are higher, the lows are lower.

Inserting the obligatory Soulless Lawyer joke ... :)

"What's the difference between a vampire and a lawyer? One is a soulless, bloodsucking monster. The other one can turn into a bat."

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I was gonna write up this prolific post on how all of us are wired when it comes to attachments (fans; life in general)... emotions (heart), factual (head), and Oracle's (gut) but you know what?

I'd be wasting too much emotion in posting it.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Interesting discussion going here I'll give my .002 for what it is worth :)

I'm a casual hockey fan now, I follow the different teams and games and whatever-pretty casual.

I used to be a die hard Leafs fan (no jokes here) in another lifetime, and had a number of friends who were Leaf fans-and yes fans-in my experience quite a few of them-go with the ups and downs of the team, to some extremes. I've known people who literally would not sleep all night if the Leafs lost a game-they'd play the game over and over in their heads-they'd be the GM trying to make moves. I will say I used to be along with the highs and lows and I had to force myself to step away from it, and it took a while to do it and get where I am now. But taking a look back at watching the reactions from fans when the Jets got ripped out of the Peg and when QC lost their team from a Canadian perspective, it was gut wrenching for them, like a part of them had been lost.

It's not something easily explained, but many do put their heart and souls into their teams, and when they lose a team, there's a definite void there for them that's really beyond any sort of logical explanation-it just is what it is.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Another Sunnucks article, Glendale seeks new Jobing.com Arena management deal as Coyotes clock ticks

To quote:

"The city and members of the council are currently soliciting proposals from qualified venue managers to provide sales, marketing, operational, managerial and maintenance support services for the arena and the ancillary parking facilities owned by the city,†said Glendale spokeswoman Jen Stein"

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/04/23/glendale-seeks-new-jobingcom-arena.html?page=all

Hoo's there! ;)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

You have to figure the locals are sooooo sick of this mess. Some probably pray it will go away - one way or another.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You have to figure the locals are sooooo sick of this mess. Some probably pray it will go away - one way or another.

That seems to be pretty much the prevailing thought, and has been for some time. Either sell it locally or sell if for relocation but stop already with this Nether World, caught somewhere between Heaven & Hell. Just appalling how the leagues treated this file. And I dont just mean since the fall of 2008 when they left gaping holes in the proxies they had Moyes sign-off on when advancing him funds. I mean going right on back to 96 where it appears Gary Bettman after directing Burke & Gluckstern to Phoenix & the waiting arms of Colangelo, then just sat back & watched Jerry pickpocket these two neophytes who clearly didnt have a clue despite their well earned reputations for the Grift. In the Big Leagues now boys... Followed by Ellmans nonsense. Again, not so much as raising an eyebrow of concern that his activities were seriously jeopardizing the integrity of the league as a whole, in its objectives that each & every franchise & market be a success, that failure in Arizona wasnt an option.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
TNSE owned the Moose but PKP doesn't own the Remparts. The organization might not even be friendly because Desmarais is one of the owners.

The NHL is really silent right now. Are they really still trying to approve another prospective owner like Jamison last year? Does anyone remember when it became clear Jamison was selected by the NHL last spring? (I'm not referring to the infamous postseason 'weeks not months' press conference, but before that).

I wasn't last spring it was the summer of 2011.

Former Sharks CEO leading new bid to buy Phoenix Coyotes

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2011/08/18/former-sharks-ceo-leading-new-bid-to.html

Retail1LO*

I'd be damn salty if my team left me. Truly. It's not like I can just switch allegiances. But when you're a fan of something, you can't help it. You love your team. I moved to Philly in 1992. Once a Hawks fan, always a Hawks fan. I can't even turn the TV on and watch a Flyers game. I don't care how mobile I am, my allegiances are set in stone...about as mobile as Mount Everest.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/04/23/glendale-seeks-new-jobingcom-arena.html

"Paperwork accompanying the request shows the city has lost at least $5 million on arena operations in each of the past three years."

Now by saying they "lost" at least $5MM each of the past 3 years on arena operations... where do the get this number from and what do they mean by it?

Does the CoG mean this is what it has been costing them via the NHL to operate the arena? I just don't understand the whole "lost" statement. No matter whom the CoG gets to be the Arena Management, the CoG will be paying for a service, which to me means its not "lost"... you are paying for a service regardless. "Lost" to me would be if you are suppose to be paying $5MM but you actually paid out $10MM for a service, then yeah, maybe it can be called "lost".

Brings up another point... if the cost over the last 3 years for Arena Management was $5MM per year, it sure goes to show just how disproportionate the $15MM they were trying to pay out to Jamison, was.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Colorado got their team very quickly. Realignment fell into place as a matter of course.

From Wikipedia:
"In May 1995, the COMSAT Entertainment Group announced an agreement in principle to purchase the team.[16] The deal became official on July 1, 1995, and 12,000 season tickets were sold in the 37 days after the announcement of the move to Denver.[16] The franchise was presented as the Colorado Avalanche on August 10, 1995.[16]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Avalanche#Quebec_Nordiques_.281972.E2.80.9395.29

The NHL can move really damn fast if they want to.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
You are right, aqib. And, thanks for the vote on confidence in my Wild. Apparently you don't even think they will get a point tomorrow.... ;)

You're so vain. You probably thought my post was about you ;)

Minnesota winning doesn't eliminate the Coyotes by itself. Columbus needs to win too and they don't play again until Thursday.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/04/23/glendale-seeks-new-jobingcom-arena.html

"Paperwork accompanying the request shows the city has lost at least $5 million on arena operations in each of the past three years."

Now by saying they "lost" at least $5MM each of the past 3 years on arena operations... where do the get this number from and what do they mean by it?

Does the CoG mean this is what it has been costing them via the NHL to operate the arena? I just don't understand the whole "lost" statement. No matter whom the CoG gets to be the Arena Management, the CoG will be paying for a service, which to me means its not "lost"... you are paying for a service regardless. "Lost" to me would be if you are suppose to be paying $5MM but you actually paid out $10MM for a service, then yeah, maybe it can be called "lost".

Brings up another point... if the cost over the last 3 years for Arena Management was $5MM per year, it sure goes to show just how disproportionate the $15MM they were trying to pay out to Jamison, was.

Or it demonstrates just how bad of an arena operator the NHL is.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
You're so vain. You probably thought my post was about you ;)

Minnesota winning doesn't eliminate the Coyotes by itself. Columbus needs to win too and they don't play again until Thursday.

With the way the schedule is set up, at least one of Detroit, Dallas, and Columbus will surpass Phoenix no matter what. A point obtained by Minnesota (or a point lost by Phoenix) officially eliminates the Coyotes.

Notably Dallas plays both Detroit and Columbus and remember that a minimum of 2 points are awarded each game. If Columbus wins one, then they beat out Phoenix. If Detroit wins one, then they beat out Phoenix. If Dallas wins both, then they beat out Phoenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad