Phoenix CXXIII: Who Wants to Pay Our Bills?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungGuns

May 22, 2013
Calgary, AB

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Yeah, slow news day

On this slow day, trying to read some tea leaves with the Rules Committee. Looks like they're not too likely to play the role of obstructor to the Worsley bill, even with two Glendale senators on the committee. Here's why:

On Monday, they considered 69 bills that had been passed by a committee. I checked 22 of them, and they assigned every one to the Senate floor. Didn't reject any. So it appears their role is more of scheduler than gatekeeper. A few of those bills were assigned by the Rules Committee to get Senate floor votes today, others will wait.

Also, it appears bills needing additional consideration from the Finance or Appropriations Committee typically get that second committee hearing BEFORE going to the Rules Committee, so I'd guess that won't happen to Worsley's bill, now. So it appears next stop is the Senate floor; we just don't know when.

One of the bills that the Rules Committee advanced to the floor is SB1480, about Community Facilities Districts, that appeared on our radar briefly when it seemed to co-opt Sen. Lesko's bill. I don't see that it would have a direct impact on the Coyotes other than that, though.

It looks like Rules' next meeting would be Monday. I'll watch for the next agenda and post if Worsley's bill gets listed.

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
On this slow day, trying to read some tea leaves with the Rules Committee. Looks like they're not likely too likely to play the role of obstructor to the Worsley bill, even with two Glendale senators on the committee. Here's why:

On Monday, they considered 69 bills that had been passed by a committee. I checked 22 of them, and they assigned every one to the Senate floor. Didn't reject any. So it appears their role is more of scheduler than gatekeeper. A few of those bills were assigned by the Rules Committee to get Senate floor votes today, others will wait.

Also, it appears bills needing additional consideration from the Finance or Appropriations Committee typically get that second committee hearing BEFORE going to the Rules Committee, so I'd guess that won't happen to Worsley's bill, now. So it appears next stop is the Senate floor; we just don't know when.

One of the bills that the Rules Committee advanced to the floor is SB1480, about Community Facilities Districts, that appeared on our radar briefly when it seemed to co-opt Sen. Lesko's bill. I don't see that it would have a direct impact on the Coyotes other than that, though.

It looks like Rules' next meeting would be Monday. I'll watch for the next agenda and post if Worsley's bill gets listed.

Appreciate the update. I have hard time deciphering these things!

So it appears this won't go down quietly then but again, if the Rules committee is just scheduling things then it's more of procedure.

For those scorekeeping, assuming it does make it to the senate floor, what does it need to go to the full legislature? I believe there are 30 in the senate so they would need a simple majority? two-thirds etc..

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012

So it appears this won't go down quietly then but again, if the Rules committee is just scheduling things then it's more of procedure.

For those scorekeeping, assuming it does make it to the senate floor, what does it need to go to the full legislature? I believe there are 30 in the senate so they would need a simple majority? two-thirds etc..

It would only need a majority. Then, according to a tweet earlier by Craig Harris, if it passes, it would go to the House for their vote.

If you're handicapping the vote, you already have 6 favoring it and 1 opposed (based on the vote in the Transportation Commitee). Then I have to believe the two senators representing Glendale will oppose it (one has already said she leans against it), so with those, it's probably 6-3 in favor, with us left to guess how the other 21 senators will vote. I still have to believe it will be hard to pass in this fiscally conservative legislature, but then, I wouldn't have expected a 6-1 vote in favor in the committee, nor Lesko's bill flaming out the way it did.

So start laying down your bets - hey, the league's going to Vegas, so that'll be the next "in" thing!

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

It would only need a majority. Then, according to a tweet earlier by Craig Harris, if it passes, it would go to the House for their vote.

If you're handicapping the vote, you already have 6 favoring it and 1 opposed (based on the vote in the Transportation Commitee). Then I have to believe the two senators representing Glendale will oppose it (one has already said she leans against it), so with those, it's probably 6-3 in favor, with us left to guess how the other 21 senators will vote. I still have to believe it will be hard to pass in this fiscally conservative legislature, but then, I wouldn't have expected a 6-1 vote in favor in the committee, nor Lesko's bill flaming out the way it did.

So start laying down your bets - hey, the league's going to Vegas, so that'll be the next "in" thing!

Make-up of the two bodies:

Senate - 13-D, 17-R
House - 25-D, 35-R

With all of the activity surrounding the lack of funding for education...funding an arena will be a tough one, especially for the House members, to lay down track for...

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012

Senate - 13-D, 17-R
House - 25-D, 35-R

With all of the activity surrounding the lack of funding for education...funding an arena will be a tough one, especially for the House members, to lay down track for...

Maybe LeBlanc can offer to host K-12 classes in his shiny new arena, since there won't be money left over to put the kids anywhere else. That would be a real win-win for the taxpayer!

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Senate - 13-D, 17-R
House - 25-D, 35-R

Maybe LeBlanc can offer to host K-12 classes in his shiny new arena, since there won't be money left over to put the kids anywhere else. That would be a real win-win for the taxpayer!

Appreciate the feedback!

For if it's a simple majority needed I see it, the magic numbers are 16 yeahs for the Senate and 31 Yeahs for the House.

If both give the yeahs, then the next 'magic number' is 55 million....all that's required for the host community for the privilege....by 31-Dec-18

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Appreciate the feedback!

For if it's a simple majority needed I see it, the magic numbers are 16 yeahs for the Senate and 31 Yeahs for the House.

If both give the yeahs, then the next 'magic number' is 55 million....all that's required for the host community for the privilege....by 31-Dec-18

Yup. The NHL has ripped off some cities before, but this would take the cake if they can pull this off!

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Senate - 13-D, 17-R
House - 25-D, 35-R

Even if the bill is passed, the Yotes are going to have to convince some public body to agree to a business and development plan that provides huge subsidies for arena construction, and long-term operating subsidies. This concept is not new. They tried to float a CFD (Community Facilities District) in Glendale around the Westgate development, and it was a dud. Turns out not enough folks thought it was a good idea to shovel that much subsidy to the Coyotes.

I still think that LeBlanc is engaging in all sorts of smoke and mirrors with prospective supporters in terms of the details of the IA financial plan, and when it becomes clear they are going to have a hard time finding public partners, with or without the new financing mechanism. I would bet that is one of the reasons they got booted from the ASU development plan. Once everyone figured out what IA's financial situation and plans were, they developed antibodies pretty quickly.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Once everyone figured out what IA's financial situation and plans were, they developed antibodies pretty quickly.

Developing "antibodies" is a good biological metaphor for what should happen. "Zone of revulsion" might be another one. All of us here have probably looked closely at arenas we've been in, marveled at the architecture, the functionality (and the expense!). The thought of putting up another of those state-of-the art buildings when you have an essentially new one (no next-generation features for arenas have really developed since GRA was built) just 30 miles away is just nuts.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah, slow news day

Been a long slow spell. Not as long as the Hurricanes Waiting for Godot new buyer saga though. Seems prospective Hurricanes buyers are as real as jackalopes or drop bears. Seems like team intrigue goes on bye weeks too. :laugh:

It could be branded an elementary school- the Shane Doan Elementary School. Just build a school on the side of the arena and let the kids have access to the ice weekday mornings during the school year. :naughty:

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
What's LeBlanc gonna charge? It sure as hell ain't going to be free out of the goodness of his heart. Maybe first one is free but "nominal fee" after?

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
City could then contract IA to teach classes in finance and economics.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
City could then contract IA to teach classes in finance and economics.

There you go. If the bill can't pass in the House Commerce Committee, teaching those classes might be enough to move the bill over to the Education Committee and get it passed!

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Update:

The Rules Committee is meeting, tomorrow, February 23 at 1:00 P.M. in Caucus Room 1.

The agenda lists SB1149 as one of many bills up for consideration...

:popcorn:

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Update:

The Rules Committee is meeting, tomorrow, February 23 at 1:00 P.M. in Caucus Room 1.

The agenda lists SB1149 as one of many bills up for consideration...

Yeah, that huge agenda of 69 bills Monday meant they were probably going to have to start meeting more than once a week, as predicted earlier. If they hold true to form, the bill will be voted "PFC" - proper for consideration - and moved to the Senate floor. But there are only 13 bills listed for tomorrow, so maybe they expect longer debate on some of them - We can only hope, because that's what sells the popcorn here!

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
On this slow day, trying to read some tea leaves with the Rules Committee. Looks like they're not too likely to play the role of obstructor to the Worsley bill, even with two Glendale senators on the committee. Here's why:

I don't know anything about Arizona state politics, but the performance the Rules Committee on Monday doesn't necessarily mean they are a scheduler and not a gatekeeper. They could be both.

The possibility exists that they have lined up the bills that have a strong consensus of support and sent them on their way first. To anyone who has ever been in court, that could be like letting the consent adjournments play through first.

It is quite possible they have left the more contentious items to later in the agenda, knowing those matters would take more time and that some of them might not get through.

I'm just speculating as to the process. I don't have the foggiest idea of what happens next, except that A doesn't necessarily lead to B.

As always, I do wish the Coyotes and their fans well.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
I don't know anything about Arizona state politics, but the performance the Rules Committee on Monday doesn't necessarily mean they are a scheduler and not a gatekeeper. They could be both.

The possibility exists that they have lined up the bills that have a strong consensus of support and sent them on their way first. To anyone who has ever been in court, that could be like letting the consent adjournments play through first.

It is quite possible they have left the more contentious items to later in the agenda, knowing those matters would take more time and that some of them might not get through.

I'm just speculating as to the process. I don't have the foggiest idea of what happens next, except that A doesn't necessarily lead to B.

As always, I do wish the Coyotes and their fans well.

You could be right. In some states, I believe, the Rules Comittee can kill a bill. At the other extreme, the tradition in North Dakota has been that every bill has a right to a vote on the floor, with or without committee approval. I don't know the tradition in AZ, or where they fit on that spectrum. We'll see, as the more controversial bills common to later in a session start to emerge from committees. And I guess 1149 is one of the more controversial, so we'll learn some tomorrow.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
You could be right. In some states, I believe, the Rules Comittee can kill a bill. At the other extreme, the tradition in North Dakota has been that every bill has a right to a vote on the floor, with or without committee approval. I don't know the tradition in AZ, or where they fit on that spectrum. We'll see, as the more controversial bills common to later in a session start to emerge from committees. And I guess 1149 is one of the more controversial, so we'll learn some tomorrow.

Yes...from what I am hearing...this LeBlanc 'bill' is very controversial...and may, may not make it out of the Rules Committee tomorrow...

There was an article in the Arizona Capitol Times titled 'Culling the herd: A majority of bills already have failed'...although it did not specifically name SB1149...this one is likely heading toward that road to nowhere...

However, we will see tomorrow...

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Yes...from what I am hearing...this LeBlanc 'bill' is very controversial...and may, may not make it out of the Rules Committee tomorrow...

There was an article in the Arizona Capitol Times titled 'Culling the herd: A majority of bills already have failed'...although it did not specifically name SB1149...this one is likely heading toward that road to nowhere...

However, we will see tomorrow...

Llama,

I can't tell. Are you predicting it fails to get out of committee tomorrow?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Llama,

I can't tell. Are you predicting it fails to get out of committee tomorrow?

That is what I have been hearing...

Because LeBlanc's 'bill' never had a chance in the previous committee...until it was 'moved' to Worsley's committee...then went through a 'strike everything' amendment onto unrelated legislation...including the 'dog and pony' show of a presentation...it was the only way to bring this 'bill' back to life...

This may, may end up with the rest of the majority of the bills...dying a quiet death...

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
That is what I have been hearing...

Because LeBlanc's 'bill' never had a chance in the previous committee...until it was 'moved' to Worsley's committee...then went through a 'strike everything' amendment onto unrelated legislation...including the 'dog and pony' show of a presentation...it was the only way to bring this 'bill' back to life...

This may, may end up with the rest of the majority of the bills...dying a quiet death...

Let's say Leblanc's bill is repelled. Then what's next?
Another lame-duck season is Glendale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad