Phoenix CXXIII: Who Wants to Pay Our Bills?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Judging the season ticket base from a photo like this is just nuts.

Yup... it's like those stupid contests where you have to guess how many ..

jellybean-jar.jpg

just a waste of time.... and I'm never close. ;)

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
sounds like only the high end ST holders got put on the ice.

There's no way that's an accurate season ticket count. There's literally under 200 people in that photo. If that's an accurate amount, :shakehead they're doing worse than I thought, and that is a VERY, VERY low bar.
Even if that picture is only 10% of the total STH base, that's quite sad.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes I agree however if IA isnt willing to release any figures and its really a pretty critical & fundamental issue... then something like this appears that would at least give some clue, a hint to the numbers then of course people are going to latch on to it. Weve been wanting those numbers since the 2013/14 season. Yet its apparently "Top Secret". What other teams guard these numbers so assiduously? If it was the NBA with its $24B Contract & Local Contract's that are sky high then ok. Who cares if theres only 1500 or 3000 or 7500 STH's? Obviously its not the NBA. Not even close. How does one go about truly measuring the success of an NHL Franchise without knowing what the numbers are so unless about 2500 ST Holders skipped lastnights Sell Out Game & re-sold their tickets on the secondary market, didnt show up themselves then what? What conclusion would you draw? Or just leave it alone & open, a question tha'tll never be answered, never be known? If for example they are at 2500 STH's, or even 7500, then you can broadstroke numbers, look ahead & determine what they need in new subscribers & sales. Sure its a negative but its also a waterline, baseline, a marker. How many new ST's are they selling from one year to the next and why no publicly stated goal with respect to those numbers? Rather moot now seeing as how theyve burned all of their bridges in Glendale, "were gone", but then, how does one rationalize their claims that a new arena on the east side will result in a 1000% + percent increase in ticket sales when the existing numbers are beyond sub-basement levels and theyve failed, and I mean on Epic proportions if that picture is even remotely accurate at GRA? We are talking Kansas City Scouts, Cleveland Barons territory here.

...also, who the heck is in charge of PR for the Coyotes? So often, it seems like an amateurish operation. Is it Rich Nairn? Maybe he secretly hates the Coyotes because of his family ties to Winnipeg. :naughty:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Are we now becoming Seattle...

Could Hockey Return To Downtown Phoenix? Council OKs Closer Look

To quote:

"Phoenix city leaders have given the green light for a consultant to consider hockey at Talking Stick Resort Arena.

It was a short item, just a single paragraph, on last Wednesday's 330-page agenda. It called for the council to approve $75,000 for Barrett Sports Group LLC to evaluate the downtown arena.

There was no mention of hockey until Councilman Michael Nowakowski, who represents downtown, asked, “I was just wondering if there’s a possibility for them to actually look into if we had a hockey team what that would look like and what extra expenses would it take to have a hockey arena and a hockey team located there, if we remodeled the arena and brought it up to date.â€"

Source: http://kjzz.org/content/437273/could-hockey-return-downtown-phoenix-council-oks-closer-look

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Are we now becoming Seattle...

Could Hockey Return To Downtown Phoenix? Council OKs Closer Look

To quote:

"Phoenix city leaders have given the green light for a consultant to consider hockey at Talking Stick Resort Arena.

It was a short item, just a single paragraph, on last Wednesday's 330-page agenda. It called for the council to approve $75,000 for Barrett Sports Group LLC to evaluate the downtown arena.

There was no mention of hockey until Councilman Michael Nowakowski, who represents downtown, asked, “I was just wondering if there’s a possibility for them to actually look into if we had a hockey team what that would look like and what extra expenses would it take to have a hockey arena and a hockey team located there, if we remodeled the arena and brought it up to date.â€"

Source: http://kjzz.org/content/437273/could-hockey-return-downtown-phoenix-council-oks-closer-look

Interesting quote from councilman Jim Warring below

I don’t think we should be looking at this at all,†he said. “The hockey team has an arena on the west side. I think it’s throwing our sister city a little bit under the bus for us to be doing this and I just don’t think we should be spending $75,000 on this.â€

I think they're in for a bit of sticker shock to see the cost of bringing the building up to NHL specs plus making the sitelines a little less than ideal for the tennant that's already there plus this looks like what the study is for anyways.

Geez, the mayor is gung-ho for a new downtown shared building, the city manager seems to be looking at it for the improvements for the current team, one councilman is curious to upgrqde the place and another councilman is showing concern for the city where the team plays already.

Ever since the mayor announced his intentions to build a shared arena it seems like he has really galvanized the city for his cause:sarcasm:....well done Mr. Stanton...well done...LeBlanc is truly proud of your leadership on this matter. :laugh:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
It sucks for the Phoenix market.

Ideally, they would build a single arena and force the Coyotes and Suns to play nice, but Sarver would just take his ball to a tribal group and go home. And then you have the Coyotes as the only anchor tenant in ANOTHER building in the area, as well as the Sarver arena being built, to compete with GRA and every other arena in the area.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Ideally, they would build a single arena and force the Coyotes and Suns to play nice, but Sarver would just take his ball to a tribal group and go home. And then you have the Coyotes as the only anchor tenant in ANOTHER building in the area, as well as the Sarver arena being built, to compete with GRA and every other arena in the area.

The underlying problem is that the Coyotes need a ton of subsidy to make it financially, or at least that's how they project their business plans. It doesn't actually work very well to share an arena if both tenants want to control all the non-sport revenues to subsidize their pro sports' franchise. It really only works in major markets where there is substantial revenue for the NHL per se.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Exactly. What a total waste of seventy five grand. In order to make TSA hockey friendly you'd have to lower the playing floor & re-configure the bowl unless you think its just fine to have a dead end & obstructed seating.... be along the lines of Key Arena in terms of cost & that cost would as you suggest include the loss of Sarver, the Suns, the Rattlers & Mercury; he would then be constructing a 3rd arena elsewhere in the Valley, Phoenix exchanging Basketball for Hockey. Did anyone even ask Sarver before just going ahead and hiring these consultants? Who drops $75K when in a few phone calls you'd quickly conclude that .A) Sarver's not interested and .B) Its beyond cost prohibitive and .C) Theres already too much arena inventory in the marketplace to support TSA, GRA, a new arena, Wells-Fargo & War Vets not to mention the other indoor & open-air venues all vying for the same concert & event bookings.... and of course in addition to the costs of gutting & renovating TSA to make it hockey friendly, that would only be the beginning for the City of Phoenix. Are they also prepared to pay IA a big fat management fee?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Exactly. What a total waste of seventy five grand. In order to make TSA hockey friendly you'd have to lower the playing floor & re-configure the bowl unless you think its just fine to have a dead end & obstructed seating.... be along the lines of Key Arena in terms of cost & that cost would as you suggest include the loss of Sarver, the Suns, the Rattlers & Mercury; he would then be constructing a 3rd arena elsewhere in the Valley, Phoenix exchanging Basketball for Hockey. Did anyone even ask Sarver before just going ahead and hiring these consultants? Who drops $75K when in a few phone calls you'd quickly conclude that .A) Sarver's not interested and .B) Its beyond cost prohibitive and .C) Theres already too much arena inventory in the marketplace to support TSA, GRA, a new arena, Wells-Fargo & War Vets not to mention the other indoor & open-air venues all vying for the same concert & event bookings.... and of course in addition to the costs of gutting & renovating TSA to make it hockey friendly, that would only be the beginning for the City of Phoenix. Are they also prepared to pay IA a big fat management fee?

It's starting to look like political cover in the event the proposal in the legislature fails. If it does, I'm very certain the team leaves the market.

Upon that happening, lots of finger poiting will be going around and one will be pointed squarley at the city of Phoenix. Mr. Stanton stuck is neck his out on something that doesn't appear to be realistic. They need to show they're doing their part to keep the team in the region, shuffle the papers around looking like they're working on it, rearrange the deck chairs on the sinking ship.

Such the sideshows when sports or business in general and politics mix.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
It's starting to look like political cover in the event the proposal in the legislature fails. If it does, I'm very certain the team leaves the market.

Upon that happening, lots of finger poiting will be going around and one will be pointed squarley at the city of Phoenix. Mr. Stanton stuck is neck his out on something that doesn't appear to be realistic. They need to show they're doing their part to keep the team in the region, shuffle the papers around looking like they're working on it, rearrange the deck chairs on the sinking ship.

Such the sideshows when sports or business in general and politics mix.

I think this is Council pretty much getting a hefty head start on the 2019 designation of Talking Stick for Sarver. The article references same here:

City Manager Ed Zuercher said the contract was originally intended to *assess the current condition of the arena for existing tenants, but the consultant could also *assess its viability for hockey.

* Hurray New Generation edit oversight :handclap: :shakehead

So of course I had to download the Agenda from the 2/15 meeting to get the full paragraph for some clarity

https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerk/publicmeetings/city-council-meetings

19 Barrett Sports Group, LLC

For $75,000.00 in additional payment authority for Contract 142318, through Feb. 9, 2018, for sports facility consulting services for the Phoenix Convention Center. Consulting services are necessary to support the City's continued evaluation of the downtown arena. Ongoing access to the firm's expertise will allow for further analysis of downtown arena opportunities.

Edit/Add: Forgot to add that the item was adopted

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So of course I had to download the Agenda from the 2/15 meeting to get the full paragraph for some clarity...

Aha. Thanks for digging that M4B. Puts it into context. On the surface it seemed Madness to me but no, not so much anymore.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
It's starting to look like political cover in the event the proposal in the legislature fails.

Speaking of which, an update: The Rules Committee met today and didn't have any of the bills we've watched on the agenda. The Finance Committee will not meet this Wednesday, as they typically do. No action this week maybe gives Worsley a little more time to try to lobby for support for his bill.

Since two of the seven members of the Rules Committee represent Glendale, it's possible they sit on this for a while, maybe never even scheduling it for the full Senate. In most states, they're not required to bring a bill to the floor, even if it passes in a committee. But one alternative, to advance Sen. Lesko's SB1404, appears to be a dead-end since she pulled her bill from the Finance Committee's consideration last week. It looks like it's Worsley's bill or nothing, at least as far as legislative funding goes.

Vinc360

Apr 3, 2008
Just as someone who hasn't followed this saga in years now; Do we know where the Coyotes are playing next year at this point? What are the likely possibilities?

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just as someone who hasn't followed this saga in years now; Do we know where the Coyotes are playing next year at this point? What are the likely possibilities?

They've extended their lease at Gila River Arena for next year.

Barring any real news that's where they will be.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
They've extended their lease at Gila River Arena for next year.

Barring any real news that's where they will be.

How are you coming on replying to my post in regard to the financial impact of losing the AMF in Glendale?

Oh, and I agree they will be in Glendale unless there is a big confluence of events..... Which is highly unlikely.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Aha. Thanks for digging that M4B. Puts it into context. On the surface it seemed Madness to me but no, not so much anymore.

Sounds like the city is anticipating Sarver exercising his right to an early exit from TSRA via sending the condition of the arena to an arbitrator. Pretty good move on their part.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
When was the next Senate Committee hearing on it supposed to be?

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
When was the next Senate Committee hearing on it supposed to be?

No hearing is currently scheduled on Worsley's bill. The Senate Rules Committee will probably assign it to another committee or to the Senate floor, but nothing's happening for now.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I think this saga has permanently messed with my head.

On a Canadian soccer forum I lurk on, there is a big thread on a potential new league coming to the country. The thread is 255 pages, and there have been articles from mainstream press, as well as a couple of the potential owners doing frank interviews with the press. A former TFC executive has posted on the board alluding to the plans and engaging the posters on the site.

And everyone is complaining about a lack of news and stuff to talk about in the thread.

I've learned quite a bit from this saga and thread.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, slow news day

Though unrelated, the team is telling fans not to do the wave?

There must be some context missing here. The wave is not for everyone but why would the team be telling fans not to do it? Any paying customer having a good time is a good thing IMO.

... :laugh: indeed, very slow... and ya, very strange. must be missing something here. doesnt make sense.... spontaneous crowd reaction like that that a lot of people have fun with... no idea
why they'd discourage it.... the Coyotes (& others) also noted for adopting the Winnipeg White Out (where it originated) starting in 96.... that of course organized in advance by the club ('s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad