Phoenix CXXIII: Who Wants to Pay Our Bills?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Glendale Mayor gives State of the City address

To quote:

"We hired AEG Facilities, which is the one of the world’s leading sports and entertainment venue managers, to manage our arena. And I want to thank several of our West Valley mayors who continue to support our city’s efforts to keep the Arizona Coyotes in Glendale as a vital economic driver."

Source: http://yourwestvalley.com/news/government/glendale-mayor-gives-state-city-address/

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Glendale Mayor gives State of the City address

To quote:

"We hired AEG Facilities, which is the one of the world’s leading sports and entertainment venue managers, to manage our arena. And I want to thank several of our West Valley mayors who continue to support our city’s efforts to keep the Arizona Coyotes in Glendale as a vital economic driver."

Source: http://yourwestvalley.com/news/government/glendale-mayor-gives-state-city-address/

The mayor should have omitted the the "Vital economic driver." part for three reasons.

First: It BS and everybody know it is.

Second: You gave Lablanc a line to use all around the state while searching for a gullible city.

Third: No matter what happen the franchise is leaving Glendale. If only to serve as a example to every other cities, and counties that have sweetheart deals with NHL teams. "You take away my hotel tax, and we start looking for a pile of dirt." Since it happening no matter what don't exaggerate the importance of something you already lost. Rip the bandage and start going on the offensive.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The mayor should have omitted the the "Vital economic driver." part for three reasons.

Second: You gave Lablanc a line to use all around the state while searching for a gullible city.

Third: No matter what happen the franchise is leaving Glendale. If only to serve as a example to every other cities, and counties that have sweetheart deals with NHL teams. "You take away my hotel tax, and we start looking for a pile of dirt." Since it happening no matter what don't exaggerate the importance of something you already lost. Rip the bandage and start going on the offensive.

Thanks, Madhi. I would have been totally in your camp as little as 3 months ago.

Now, however, I am not so sure. I am becoming less sure that this team is moving.

Here's my reasoning:
1- It's clear that IA would like a new facility, especially if they can twist an AMF out of someone.
2- It SHOULD follow that the reason is the great $$ losses they endure in GRA.
3- That SHOULD mean that, absent a new arena, the team moves.

However,
1- There is real opposition to moving a Western team east, which creates a road block for Quebec (believe me, I would love for QC to get the team, and I believe it to be right solution for the league, but I do not believe the owners agree with that).
2- There is no place to move and stay in the West, and Seattle City Council continues to drag the arena question out indefinitely. Currently, my guess is that SCC is going to find a way to hire Oak View Group to renovate Key Arena, and it's going to come out less than perfect for hockey, and Seattle is going to go off the NHL radar as a result.

And, that leads to no option but to continue in Glendale, as unlikely as that would be.

As I have often said, I just want gov't to make sound choices. The current terms in GRA, while a little too favorable for the Yotes, and not really out-of-bounds bad, so I would not complain at them staying there for many years under current terms.

And, in any case, it seems very very likely that Glendale will get one more year with the team, anyway.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

He's a politician...most of the time, they cannot help themselves from themselves...

Yep...see above...

Remember...their open letter to fans...Coyotes 2.0...no more slogans..."Here to Stay"...We're going to SHOW you...(but only if we get someone else to pay for it)...

Source: http://howlinhockey.com/2016/10/03/arizona-coyotes-pen-open-letter-fans-promising-coyotes-2-0/

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
ASU, didn't do any of that, because wasn't it their plot of land to be used, so how is that even plausible?

Was not the plot of land part of the current ASU Golf Course, and is it not part of the land which is covered by the ongoing expansion of Athletic Facilities which is boing overseen by Catellus development?

How can you say it isn't their plot of land?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Was not the plot of land part of the current ASU Golf Course, and is it not part of the land which is covered by the ongoing expansion of Athletic Facilities which is boing overseen by Catellus development?

How can you say it isn't their plot of land?

THE POINT BEING, MNN, ASU didn't exit the deal w/ IA, they were forced to exit, no matter how Tempe could spin it, I'm still not sure ASU is committed to replacing Wells Fargo totally yet, rather than have the hockey team be forced out of D1 because of no suitable arena, whether GRA is an option after all this.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
THE POINT BEING, MNN, ASU didn't exit the deal w/ IA, they were forced to exit, no matter how Tempe could spin it, I'm still not sure ASU is committed to replacing Wells Fargo totally yet, rather than have the hockey team be forced out of D1 because of no suitable arena, whether GRA is an option after all this.

Well, that's not how you said it earlier.

And, I understand that you believe the line that ASU bowed out because of what appeared to be developing as 'guilt-by-association' with the financing scheme. I understand that. I'm not sold on that particular spin, myself.

And, I know no one there, but I don't believe that ASU's move to D1 hockey was originally with any arena plan that included the Coyotes in mind. So, I am pretty confident that a new rink will be built. I wouldn't worry that.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Thanks, Madhi. I would have been totally in your camp as little as 3 months ago.

Now, however, I am not so sure. I am becoming less sure that this team is moving.

Here's my reasoning:
1- It's clear that IA would like a new facility, especially if they can twist an AMF out of someone.
2- It SHOULD follow that the reason is the great $$ losses they endure in GRA.
3- That SHOULD mean that, absent a new arena, the team moves.

However,
1- There is real opposition to moving a Western team east, which creates a road block for Quebec (believe me, I would love for QC to get the team, and I believe it to be right solution for the league, but I do not believe the owners agree with that).
2- There is no place to move and stay in the West, and Seattle City Council continues to drag the arena question out indefinitely. Currently, my guess is that SCC is going to find a way to hire Oak View Group to renovate Key Arena, and it's going to come out less than perfect for hockey, and Seattle is going to go off the NHL radar as a result.

And, that leads to no option but to continue in Glendale, as unlikely as that would be.

As I have often said, I just want gov't to make sound choices. The current terms in GRA, while a little too favorable for the Yotes, and not really out-of-bounds bad, so I would not complain at them staying there for many years under current terms.

And, in any case, it seems very very likely that Glendale will get one more year with the team, anyway.

Should your hypothetical play out and they continue to play at GRA for the foreseeable future, when do you think the NHL will have to divulge their real arrangement with IA? Leblanc let the cat out of the bag with his comments on non profitability. We all know that Tony and his cronies were, and may still be, using the NHL LOC funds to cover operating deficits. Those funds have to be close to exhausted and then what becomes of IA? No way they continue this dance with GB. To stay at GRA the current placeholder management will be forced to relinquish theoretical control back to the league. My opinion, I can`t see this group continuing much longer because the money game is up and their fun is no longer what it was in their formative years when misleading comments were not scrutinized for their validity. Imagine Tony coming out today saying profitability has been delayed but we expect better results with our arrangement with AEG.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Should your hypothetical play out and they continue to play at GRA for the foreseeable future, when do you think the NHL will have to divulge their real arrangement with IA? Leblanc let the cat out of the bag with his comments on non profitability. We all know that Tony and his cronies were, and may still be, using the NHL LOC funds to cover operating deficits. Those funds have to be close to exhausted and then what becomes of IA? No way they continue this dance with GB. To stay at GRA the current placeholder management will be forced to relinquish theoretical control back to the league. My opinion, I can`t see this group continuing much longer because the money game is up and their fun is no longer what it was in their formative years when misleading comments were not scrutinized for their validity. Imagine Tony coming out today saying profitability has been delayed but we expect better results with our arrangement with AEG.

All good questions, Mesa. I don't have real answers. I just think I see a roadblock in going to Quebec, and Jacobs having to change his mind about that. And, i don't see Seattle or Portland as viable alternatives. Seattle because I don't think the arena solution that SCC comes up with is going to be 'nice' enough for NHL (NBA, yes), and I don't think that Allen in Portland wants to spend the $$ for hockey, which is not really profitable in his market.

So, how does that ever change? What would have to come for Jacobs to change his mind? I don't know.

But, that 5-year out clause in the original AMF with Glendale has caught my attention more recently. I think that 5-year clause is the window for IA. If I am right about that, then in another year, you will have IA essentially throwing the keys back on the table to NHL (this would be like turning in your vehicle at the end of a lease), and then the NHL will have to decide what to do with the franchise.

Essentially, in this scenario, NHL took a gamble by announcing IA as owners, when it was really a rental, and IA was happy to rent, for the perks of being NHL owners.

But, the end game? I still don't know.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Well, here's another way to raise money to pay for an arena... even though it may not be working out too well yet....

http://mynorthwest.com/561879/pitch-for-fan-based-arena-platform-falling-flat/

The concept is that fans and/or community members can invest directly into stadiums, with 90 percent of the net revenues paid to investors as quarterly dividends. Why has this never been done before? Favour says a change in Securities and Exchange Commission rules last July made it possible to create a real-estate investment trust built through an internet portal that would allow invested money be sent directly through a transfer agent for an escrow account.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
despite leblanc's fantasy unicorn arena tour, it's clear this franchise cannot survive in the area without massive external subsidies. over the past few years, IA has shown little to zero capacity to even begin to stop the bleeding, let alone turn a corner or frankly, even begin to understand the issues here. dollar-wise, the only practical salvation is to sell the franchise to someone willing to pay enough to cover the various liabilities and perpetual losses and clear the books - ie., relocation

i do wonder when bettman last asked to see the IA books. further, what sort of losses is/was Bettman prepared to cover before pulling the plug - the five-year out-clause seems to have been designed to allow for easy exit, arguably to portland or seattle, but IA posturing screwed that up. and at what point does resentment among the various other struggling franchise owners oblige bettman to simply get rid of the problem. recall the exec has changed with the old guard pushed out and actual, successful businessman now taking a seat. no doubt, attitudes and preferences within the Exec and the whole BoG have likely shifted since bettman insistent on letting the clowns babysit.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
despite leblanc's fantasy unicorn arena tour, it's clear this franchise cannot survive in the area without massive external subsidies. over the past few years, IA has shown little to zero capacity to even begin to stop the bleeding, let alone turn a corner or frankly, even begin to understand the issues here. dollar-wise, the only practical salvation is to sell the franchise to someone willing to pay enough to cover the various liabilities and perpetual losses and clear the books - ie., relocation

i do wonder when bettman last asked to see the IA books. further, what sort of losses is/was Bettman prepared to cover before pulling the plug - the five-year out-clause seems to have been designed to allow for easy exit, arguably to portland or seattle, but IA posturing screwed that up. and at what point does resentment among the various other struggling franchise owners oblige bettman to simply get rid of the problem. recall the exec has changed with the old guard pushed out and actual, successful businessman now taking a seat. no doubt, attitudes and preferences within the Exec and the whole BoG have likely shifted since bettman insistent on letting the clowns babysit.

it may be a moot point, GS, ARE u now telling us that the NHL still operates this franchise? I think that's not the case here, what resentment by other owners, it's Arizona, and Carolina has not risen to that status yet.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

I don't think any of us would argue that IA has done a good job, business-wise, in the last 4 years (well, almost 4 years).

However, as the discussion went earlier in the thread, let's look at what has actually taken place since the NHL bought the team:

Purchase price: 140M. In 2009, correct?
Now, we need to estimate losses.
I am going to leave 2009-10 and 10-11 for a minute.
11-12 and 12-13 were the years in which Glendale paid 25M for the privilege of having the team play in GRA. I would assume that 25M was the estimate of losses which the NHL itself had in mind. At worst, the losses would have been 5M more. Therefore:
11-12: 5M
12-13: 5M
In summer '13 IA bought the team. Let's assume that all ownership stake in the team, from LeBlanc to Barroway will be returned to the investors, so they that they lose nothing for their rentals.
13-14: The losses were 35M (nearest), but there was a contract buyout included in that, so it's a hard 35M for that year, but the baseline is closer to 20M.
14-15: About the same attendance, and about the same AMF, so let's say 20M.
15-16: At this point, the AMF changed, with a resultant loss of 8.5M, but some of that could have come back in the form of surcharges, etc, so it works out to about a 6M loss. Thus, 25M in losses for last year.
16-17: Same, maybe a little more.But there is a 15M expansion check in here, too. So, only 10M.
Now, let's go back to the missing years. 25M for each year seems reasonable, given that NHL asked that much. I could actually argue the losses were less, but let's leave it at that.

Total NHL has in the franchise IF THEY MAKE IA WHOLE AND CARRY ALL LOSSES THEMSELVES:
140 + 25 + 25 + 5 + 5 + 35 + 20 + 25 + 10. That's only about 300M altogether. Now, if you want to say there is some debt service which has undoubtedly been paid, I can go for that. Add 30M more if you want.

In any case, we are in the ball park of 350M of NHL money invested to keep the team in Arizona.

Considering that, if sold out of market, the price is likely to approach 500M, this doesn't seem too bad. Which is why I don't think that the owners will vilify Bettman for how he has handled this situation. He bought enough time to see if Seattle would come on line. If so, great, let's go there. If not, let's go to Quebec, for example.

Or, stay in Glendale, and actually try to market.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... yeah, its a corker. I often wonder about that myself. What do any number of the other clubs think of all of this and the only answer I can can come up with is that they dont really know whats going on, to what extent the NHL's invested & on the hook, how much the clubs received & continues to receive, what the real deal is beyond whatever narrative Bettman, Daly & the 10 Member Executive Committee communicates to them if they even ask about it. All compartmentalized. That inf only shared on a "need to know" basis. Theres a hierarchy within the League itself all carefully controlled by Bettman & Daly. Teams vying for spots on various committee's & so on so if your not already on the 10 member exec you just dont ask awkward questions or rock the boat in any way. Even then, Jacobs rules that Committee with an Iron Fist so anyone be it Toronto or whomever who also sits on that committee expected to basically sit there & just go along with whatever it is that Jacobs & Bettman have decided. Just how much rope theyve decided to feed out in Arizona, thats the $500M question.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
snip
However,

snip

MNN I agree with all of your points above but I would not just yet say that there is no location in West.

Of course Seattle shenanigans are shuffling options but all this is drawing a perfect option for the league to sell the Coyotes to Allen in Portland for cheap.

They will recycle the Atlanta to Winnipeg arguments mainly using those how there was no other option but to move the team for a rebate (they will call it rebate because they want the $500M tag price to stay).

IMHO, this is just one of many possibilities including the one where nothing changes for a few years.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Llama,

Can you look up the figures and see what is actually happening in the account that AEG and COG have for managing the arena? And, is there a live link? I can't seem to get anywhere with the approach we had when IA was the manager.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
MNN I agree with all of your points above but I would not just yet say that there is no location in West.

Of course Seattle shenanigans are shuffling options but all this is drawing a perfect option for the league to sell the Coyotes to Allen in Portland for cheap.

They will recycle the Atlanta to Winnipeg arguments mainly using those how there was no other option but to move the team for a rebate (they will call it rebate because they want the $500M tag price to stay).

IMHO, this is just one of many possibilities including the one where nothing changes for a few years.

Definitely, your analysis is very possible. Look at my numerical analysis above. it seems to me that the investment the league has in the Arizona, assuming that the league is going to cover all of the losses eventually, is higher than the price Allen in Portland will pay. But that is only my thought, too.

Further, there is no way to know for sure if IA has some sort of arrangement with NHL wherein IA comes out unscathed. It could be that IA loses 25M or something as well. Who knows?

ETA: As others have written, the real question here is....

What exactly is the relationship between IA and NHL? And, what is actually in their ownership contract?

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Could there be a scenario where a House bill is used where another 'strike everything' is done and he somehow thinks that he can get the votes in the House, instead?

I'm not saying this is definitive, but this document, the Arizona legislative bill-writing manual http://www.azleg.gov/alisPDFs/council/2017-2018_bill_drafting_manual.pdf seems to have no reference to companion bills; that is, a bill introduced in both the House and Senate. There are references to companion resolutions; for example, a resolution asking Congress to pass a certain law or Constitutional amendment. Seems to me there's no provision for someone to introduce this bill in the House now and try to make a run there.

(There is one reference to a "companion bill to a resolution," but again, that only seems to refer to resolutions. The AZ House just passed one, which asks the Congress and President to remove the tax from health insurance plans. These resolutions seem to get treated differently than bills).

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

What exactly is the relationship between IA and NHL? And, what is actually in their ownership contract?

Right.... And as the NHL is under no obligation to release that information not only just publicly but wont even share it amongst a very very few within the League itself who are directly involved.... were left speculating... I cant imagine any of them playing Whistleblower MNN as it wouldnt serve their own self interests nor obviously those of the League to do so.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
it may be a moot point, GS, ARE u now telling us that the NHL still operates this franchise? I think that's not the case here, what resentment by other owners, it's Arizona, and Carolina has not risen to that status yet.
Didn't the NHL deny that they were in control of the Coyotes for 6-8 months prior to Moyes throwing the team into BK? This only came to light during the BK hearings even though the league denied it happening prior. It's within the realm of possibility that they indeed still control the franchise.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Didn't the NHL deny that they were in control of the Coyotes for 6-8 months prior to Moyes throwing the team into BK? This only came to light during the BK hearings even though the league denied it happening prior. It's within the realm of possibility that they indeed still control the franchise.

well long past 2009, the only thing that was never truly determined was Moyes placing the franchise into BK, Roadrage, and that decision was never truly answered either in New York or in Arizona, but we're well past that now....

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Definitely, your analysis is very possible. Look at my numerical analysis above. it seems to me that the investment the league has in the Arizona, assuming that the league is going to cover all of the losses eventually, is higher than the price Allen in Portland will pay. But that is only my thought, too.

Further, there is no way to know for sure if IA has some sort of arrangement with NHL wherein IA comes out unscathed. It could be that IA loses 25M or something as well. Who knows?

Supposedly the initial purchase IA put in $45 million in equity, Fortress put up something like $120 million in debt, and the NHL gave an $85 million LOC.

Then Barroway put up $155 million for 51%. Supposedly Fortress was removed at that point.

Now if those 2 things are true, IA has $200 million into this, and the NHL could be owed something up to $85 million. So if the team sells for say $350 million, IA would get $265 million to divide up. So as crazy as it sounds LeBlanc and the initial group did well here

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Right.... And as the NHL is under no obligation to release that information not only just publicly but wont even share it amongst a very very few within the League itself who are directly involved.... were left speculating... I cant imagine any of them playing Whistleblower MNN as it wouldnt serve their own self interests nor obviously those of the League to do so.

Internally they always have the excuse that this information is between the league and IA. It would give a unfair advantage to the rest of the league if 29 other GM's can go to Yotes UFA and say. "This dumpster fire is months from blowing up in your face." Do you think agents have not been saying something similar for a while? "Sure you like Arizona, but you don't want to be there when that blow up..."

Externally since the team is not getting public money currently it really none of our business. For the moment at least.

It's probably the worse kept secret in the NHL anyway. I figure they won't move this Summer. It would either have leaked already, or it just about to leak. Maybe the word will get out after the GM meeting.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Llama,

Can you look up the figures and see what is actually happening in the account that AEG and COG have for managing the arena? And, is there a live link? I can't seem to get anywhere with the approach we had when IA was the manager.

Ask...and (sometimes) ye shall receive... :D

From Glendale's Follow Your MONEY web site:
http://www.glendaleaz.com/FollowYourMoney/Dept.cfm

Captial Projects > Capital Repair - Arena (Two payments) - http://www.glendaleaz.com/FollowYourMoney/Dept.cfm?Type=2&DeptID=800
Transaction date, 07/01/16 - $500,000
Transaction date, 02/28/17 - $500,000

(These are payments to AEG, totaling $1,000,000)

Non-Departmental > Fund 1000 Non-Dept > Arena Renewal & Replacement - http://www.glendaleaz.com/FollowYourMoney/Dept.cfm?Type=5&DeptID=244&DivID=11801&Account=516300
Amount: $5,000,000

(I believe this is the last remaining payment to the NHL, but there is no specific 'Vendor Name' on the transaction to verify...)

Non-Departmental > Fund 1000 Non-Dept > Professional and Contractual (Three payments) - http://www.glendaleaz.com/FollowYourMoney/Dept.cfm?Type=5&DeptID=244&DivID=11801&Account=518200

Transaction date, 07/01/16 - $2,800,000
Transaction date, 09/30/16 - $1,400,000
Transaction date, 12/30/16 - $1,400,000

(These are payments to AEG, totaling $5,600,000)

Unlike the previous Monthly Arena Reports being done when IceArizona was the 'arena manager,' there are no further breakdown of costs being reported under the existing AEG contract...

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Supposedly the initial purchase IA put in $45 million in equity, Fortress put up something like $120 million in debt, and the NHL gave an $85 million LOC.

Then Barroway put up $155 million for 51%. Supposedly Fortress was removed at that point.

Now if those 2 things are true, IA has $200 million into this, and the NHL could be owed something up to $85 million. So if the team sells for say $350 million, IA would get $265 million to divide up. So as crazy as it sounds LeBlanc and the initial group did well here
$85 Million in debt initially, plus $50 million interest free five year loan for operating fund from the NHL. That was before the LOC even existed. It was the whole reason of getting Barroway on board remember. Because the Canadian owners could not access the LOC for Taxes reason. My theory is Barroway came in when the operating fund was exhausted. IA is probably digging in the LOC to cover loss ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad