Phoenix CXXIII: Who Wants to Pay Our Bills?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Clearing rules committees at the state level are definitely not a indication of whether or not it will pass the vote. It just means they think it should be voted upon.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I really do wonder how long the lovefest between the fans and LeBlanc can last. Fans need to start bypassing LeBlanc and pressuring Bettman to get stable ownership and work to keep the team in Phoenix. LeBlanc and IA don't have the wherewithal to get this done.

For my part, my love affair with LeBlanc never got off the ground. I began distrusting him when he and Ice Edge rolled into town talking about home games in Saskatoon.

But re: the bolded, there's absolutely nothing the fans can do about this. We are 110% at the mercy of the "gentlemen" in our ownership group and the league. Those of us who wasted blood, sweat, and tears begging the NHL (and anyone in the state who registered on the millionaire list, for that matter) to find someone competent and relatively financially stable ran out of motivation when we a) discovered that nobody was listening and b) we were chasing a chimera.

We have no Arizona Pegula waiting to ride to our rescue. This long, slow train has taken forever to get to the station, but it's looking like there are no switches that will be thrown to move it to another track.

Isn't that what Atlanta said before they moved to Winnipeg?

Why yes, yes it was. :laugh:

So when do we start watching the various arenas that are vacant around North America to see if they are doing any extra work to prepare for "something"

Have you been living under a rock? People have been doing this since 2009.

Vegas, baby.

Portland, honey. :D

Foley can't even be ready in time for an expansion team... :shakehead

Neither, it appears, could Quebec City.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Clearing rules committees at the state level are definitely not a indication of whether or not it will pass the vote. It just means they think it should be voted upon.

As of now, no Senate floor vote is scheduled for today, so it looks like Axiom has a day to lobby Senators for support before the vote next week.

Some positive thoughts about the players in this: Axiom has done a good job. It isn't surprising, because their web site has shown some real good work on behalf of other clients representing kids, etc.

I'm also impressed with Sen. Lesko and Rep. Kern, who've emerged as voices for the "no" side in this. Lesko is a real energy machine for bills and activities to benefit her district. One of our other posters complimented the checks and balances to protect taxpayers in her SB1404 bill.

Even Worsley, who I don't agree with about all the spending, has done a good job. He saw a chance for new development in the eastern suburban area he represents, and acted on it. It was pretty impressive to get a 6-1 win in his committee on such a controversial bill.

Overall, I get the impression there are more serious adults doing their jobs here than in some of the other dog-and-pony shows we've watched previously: some of the previous Glendale council members; the parade of ownership groups, real and imagined, that we had to endure; the NHL itself. At least that's one bright ray in all of this - the appearance of government working as it should, to reach a solution of some kind. Win or lose, there's a lot less to complain about a process like that, than some of the games that went on before (Hocking-type consultant reports, staffers jumping between being employed by both parties in a contract, and on and on).

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Thats a lot of relocation smoke. Expected on a timeline that moves a team for next year.

Why would they wait one more year if this attempt fails?

Because no (possible) landing spot could get ready in time. They currently have a lease in Glendale for 2017/2018, so it remains a strong possibility that the team could stay an extra year.

While Glendale won't kick them out because they would rather have them than nothing, if the clowns (or the NHL) decide to sell the franchise, Quebec City is ready to roll.

It's true that they are signed for 2017-18. However, I am not sure that means very much. It may, or may not. That extension was a routine, allowed to happen automatically on Jan 1, 2017.

Think of it this way. That extension is automatic every year on Jan 1.

That means that the team has to ALWAYS allow it to extend, because if they don't, they have no place to play the next year IF THEY NEED ONE. And, if they don't need one, and are moving out of market, they can't NOT SiGN it, because that is a public admission that they are gone.

The only good move this ownership would have had would be if the Leg gave them the bill, and a city signed a deal with them. With no bill, and no civic partner, they have no good moves, and the presence of that extension means little.

For example, let's say they are really just playing out the string for next year. On Dec 31, 2017, do they extend? If they intend to move to Seattle or Portland, they can't sign. If they don't sign, everyone knows what's happening, and no fans at all come the games the remainder of the year.

So, whatever. We don't know anything yet, except that there is lots of opposition to the bill right now.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So after all the assurances and repeated projections of fan growth in Glendale LeBlanc is trying to convince everyone he can that it was all a ruse and Glendale was never viable. I believe now more than ever that they had no intention of staying beyond 5 years, and unless they get some ridiculously lucrative land deal and tax grab to pay off debts and subsidize the Yotes, they'll vamoose as planned.

I really do wonder how long the lovefest between the fans and LeBlanc can last. Fans need to start bypassing LeBlanc and pressuring Bettman to get stable ownership and work to keep the team in Phoenix. LeBlanc and IA don't have the wherewithal to get this done.

That's the one thing we will never know I guess... it was IA that insisted the AMF lease agreement had a 5 year out clause.... and IF Glendale hadn't found their own way out, would everything that is happening now had happened anyways because IA was always going to use the out clause?

JMO, but I believe that IA was always going to use the out-clause themselves and what Glendale did just allows IA to point the finger at someone else.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
It's true that they are signed for 2017-18. However, I am not sure that means very much. It may, or may not. That extension was a routine, allowed to happen automatically on Jan 1, 2017.

Think of it this way. That extension is automatic every year on Jan 1.

That means that the team has to ALWAYS allow it to extend, because if they don't, they have no place to play the next year IF THEY NEED ONE. And, if they don't need one, and are moving out of market, they can't NOT SiGN it, because that is a public admission that they are gone.

The only good move this ownership would have had would be if the Leg gave them the bill, and a city signed a deal with them. With no bill, and no civic partner, they have no good moves, and the presence of that extension means little.

For example, let's say they are really just playing out the string for next year. On Dec 31, 2017, do they extend? If they intend to move to Seattle or Portland, they can't sign. If they don't sign, everyone knows what's happening, and no fans at all come the games the remainder of the year.

So, whatever. We don't know anything yet, except that there is lots of opposition to the bill right now.

And that's what would make next year such a hard sell if the bill is voted down.

Never mind a non-playoff team again but all of the noise of most of last season and off-season of being super-progressed towards and new building, picking a site and then the November announcement....then what?

If 2017-18 is set in stone, they'll have to continue the mantra of looking at multiple sites and speaking with city/tribe ABC. As far as not renewing December 31, 2017, my guess is since the renewal didn't make any noise, choosing not to wouldn't either.

If word gets out that they cancelled the lease, they can always deny and put a spin on it.....'We haven't made any decision and we have an option to play in Glendale in 2018/19'. There's nothing stopping them from signing a new 1 year lease after declining the renewal which would make that statement true.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Roberts: Coyotes deal is dead. Or is it?

To quote:

"The lack of support from Lesko, Kavanagh and Yarbrough should be enough to kill the Coyotes’ plan, given that 16 of the Senate’s 17 Republican votes likely will be needed. Democrats have long been more interested in funding schools than in funding professional playgrounds.

Still, Senate Bill 1149’s sponsor, Sen. Bob Worsley, isn’t throwing in the towel.

"We are still working on it. It's not easy," he told Harris.

With a deal that was terrible for taxpayers. By the time Glendale’s residents are thoroughly squeezed for that horrendous mistake, they will have dumped a half a billion dollars into keeping an NHL team in town.

Curiously, despite evidence of doom in the state Senate, Coyotes Chief Executive Anthony LeBlanc isn’t giving up his tin cup.

“There are a lot of moving parts in this legislative process and everything is malleable and open for discussion until the very end,†he told Harris. “We will continue to educate lawmakers about a complex project that creates a true public-private partnership and offers the Coyotes an economically viable solution to remain in the Valley for the long term."

Hmm. Might one of those moving parts have to do with the Coyotes’ lobbyist, Jim Norton of Axiom Public Affairs? Jim Norton, who just coincidentally is still pals with his former fraternity brother from ASU?

Yeah, a guy named Doug Ducey.

Eyes wide open, Arizona."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...017/02/24/roberts-coyotes-deal-dead/98357794/

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Roberts: Coyotes deal is dead. Or is it?

To quote:

"The lack of support from Lesko, Kavanagh and Yarbrough should be enough to kill the Coyotes’ plan, given that 16 of the Senate’s 17 Republican votes likely will be needed. Democrats have long been more interested in funding schools than in funding professional playgrounds.

Still, Senate Bill 1149’s sponsor, Sen. Bob Worsley, isn’t throwing in the towel.

"We are still working on it. It's not easy," he told Harris.

With a deal that was terrible for taxpayers. By the time Glendale’s residents are thoroughly squeezed for that horrendous mistake, they will have dumped a half a billion dollars into keeping an NHL team in town.

Curiously, despite evidence of doom in the state Senate, Coyotes Chief Executive Anthony LeBlanc isn’t giving up his tin cup.

“There are a lot of moving parts in this legislative process and everything is malleable and open for discussion until the very end,†he told Harris. “We will continue to educate lawmakers about a complex project that creates a true public-private partnership and offers the Coyotes an economically viable solution to remain in the Valley for the long term."

Hmm. Might one of those moving parts have to do with the Coyotes’ lobbyist, Jim Norton of Axiom Public Affairs? Jim Norton, who just coincidentally is still pals with his former fraternity brother from ASU?

Yeah, a guy named Doug Ducey.

Eyes wide open, Arizona."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...017/02/24/roberts-coyotes-deal-dead/98357794/

Wow, was that article ever snarky. I wouldn't pay a dime for that style of journalism, even though I agree with the writer that building a second arena and leaving one empty doesn't make any sense. But at least it had a little bit of new news. It looks like there's no way this thing's going to have the votes. I think IA still will go to Phoenix and the tribes before giving up, but you wonder if the vote is embarrassingly bad for them, if they don't think no one will fund them, and just give up the market. Hard to tell - like you said, the guy (LeBlanc) shows all the characteristics of a salesman by hanging in there in the face of rejection.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, think it's inevitable that this team is moving soon. Shame too because there are fans there but when you have so much trouble over such a long time some things have to happen.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Wow, was that article ever snarky. I wouldn't pay a dime for that style of journalism, even though I agree with the writer that building a second arena and leaving one empty doesn't make any sense. But at least it had a little bit of new news. It looks like there's no way this thing's going to have the votes. I think IA still will go to Phoenix and the tribes before giving up, but you wonder if the vote is embarrassingly bad for them, if they don't think no one will fund them, and just give up the market. Hard to tell - like you said, the guy (LeBlanc) shows all the characteristics of a salesman by hanging in there in the face of rejection.

Agree on LeBlanc having all the traits of a salesman...will blame everything and everyone on why the sale could not be closed...

As far as his other two options...LeBlanc may have a friend in Mayor Stanton but Mr Sarver is whole other matter...discussed previously...where the numbers likely will not work for LeBlanc...

Same goes for working with the tribal group(s)...

LeBlanc requires someone to pay him for the wares he is selling...which is not working too well...even with the lobbying by Axiom...

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
I wonder if Bettman, Daly and LeBlanc are going to go to the Arizona Senate and do the same ''Monorail'' routine that was done to make the Glendale City Council cough up millions and millions for the Coyotes time and time again.

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad