Phillip Broberg

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Broberg is putting up 45pts this year. But I hear this guy was not needed in Edmonton. Yet they have a $9M dollar pylon and are icing 3 #7-8 dmen in as regulars.
Stan Bowman is a genius. Now he will either sign Bouchard for 12 million per year or trade him for old man Erik karlsson.

He definitely looked like the best player on the ice tonight, just based on the eye test alone. Not surprised to see the analytics back it up.

Seeing this, i wished Canucks would have signed him to that offersheet. A 2nd for a legit top 4D.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Geez, some of you are weird.

Look, all Oilers fans wanted to keep Broberg (at least, I never heard of anyone who didn't). It seems to me that should have been a priority of the franchise, last season (well before the off-season). We are aware of this. I personally wanted to keep Holloway, too, although he's more the type of player Edmonton could afford to lose.

But, what's with this bizarre enjoyment of the results of a transaction after 6 (largely meaningless) regular season games?

You simply can't evaluate how a managerial decision of player-movement worked or failed until literally YEARS later:
-- Cam Neely for Barry Pederson (looked about even for a year or even two years after)
-- Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson (looked like big win for Edmonton after one season... then, looked like huge win for Jersey after two seasons... nowadays, looks about even in terms of the player-swap)

I'm personally indifferent to St. Louis -- they can win or lose, I don't care. I do hope Broberg and Holloway have successful careers.

It's quite possible that both franchises will get what they want here. Ideally, it would end up like the Rob Ramage / Rick Wamsley for Brett Hull trade (also involving St. Louis, with Calgary) in 1989. In the short-term, the Flames won the Stanley Cup, so they got what they wanted. And in the long-term, the Blues got a franchise player who set scoring records, so also got what they wanted.

In any case, it's pointless to post anything about the results fo each club's decision (the more so if you're not a Blues' fan) until several years from now. Like, 10 years from now.

(However, I'm confident that every point Broberg gets in the next several months will result in a pointless thread bump.)

• Haha
Reactions: Trow and Mike Liut

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Look, all Oilers fans wanted to keep Broberg (at least, I never heard of anyone who didn't). It seems to me that should have been a priority of the franchise, last season (well before the off-season). We are aware of this. I personally wanted to keep Holloway, too, although he's more the type of player Edmonton could afford to lose.

But, what's with this bizarre enjoyment of the results of a transaction after 6 (largely meaningless) regular season games?

You simply can't evaluate how a managerial decision of player-movement worked or failed until literally YEARS later:
-- Cam Neely for Barry Pederson (looked about even for a year or even two years after)
-- Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson (looked like big win for Edmonton after one season... then, looked like huge win for Jersey after two seasons... nowadays, looks about even in terms of the player-swap)

I'm personally indifferent to St. Louis -- they can win or lose, I don't care. I do hope Broberg and Holloway have successful careers.

It's quite possible that both franchises will get what they want here. Ideally, it would end up like the Rob Ramage / Rick Wamsley for Brett Hull trade (also involving St. Louis, with Calgary) in 1989. In the short-term, the Flames won the Stanley Cup, so they got what they wanted. And in the long-term, the Blues got a franchise player who set scoring records, so also got what they wanted.

In any case, it's pointless to post anything about the results fo each club's decision (the more so if you're not a Blues' fan) until several years from now. Like, 10 years from now.

(However, I'm confident that every point Broberg gets in the next several months will result in a pointless thread bump.)
If that’s the narrative, why not trade Broberg for assets of your choice and more value BEFORE the offer sheets can negate that? Surely the Oilers could have gotten more value, of value more fungible at the trade deadline if that’s the plan. This just sounds like something you tell yourself when you are trying to justify a mistake.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013

hockeys fyuture!

Thumbs up to the parenthetical tho

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Last night was his best game out of the 6. I had no interest in this player a year ago but that appears to also be a mistake. The Blues were not one piece away, but they are one major piece closer if this keeps up. They are a "maligned group that could gel" with a bunch of new faces. Without Broberg's implied impact, it's not a playoff caliber defense. With it, we are very interested to see where it goes. Forwards need at least 1 additional impact center and one more top 4 D and suddenly a team with a super strong netminding tandem is in the mix ...

by the way ... "10 years from now" that is truly sad don't be that guy

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
This thread reminds me of the one we had about Puntus Aberg, when he had 11G and 8A in the first 31 games after leaving the Oilers. He had star/sniper written allover himself.

While Broberg could turn out to be a star, it is too easy to celebrate the steal. And the reality is that this thread is more about making fun of the Oilers than actually about Broberg.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It's not just 5 games. He played well in the playoff pressure cooker too.
This is it. If it were just the regular season games we would be much more tempered.

Playoff level is so much above the regular season level and his skillset matched that top level due to speed and versatility. Four months ago we saw his decisionmaking and execution skill under pressure and it opened everyone's eyes, everyone noticed it. We are seeing him build on that.

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
If a single TDL player won't fix our blue line then tell me again how Broberg at $4.6M would? What kind of logic is that?

The Oilers are ~$945K under the cap WITHOUT Broberg. That means the decision this summer was:

A) Sign Broberg, spend Kane's LTIR (not knowing if he'll be out all season), have zero cap at TDL and hope Broberg on his off-side is "contender top-4 ready"

VS

B) Let him walk, don't use Kane's LTIR, have $945K accrue to $4.5M at the deadline (plus Kane's LTIR if he's still projected to be out) and use that space on the best vet RD money can buy

It was definitely a rock and hard place decision and they can be blamed for putting themselves in that position, but choosing B was the only logical choice.
That is very small picture, they had lots more options. You are starting from a place where many of the mistakes had already been made.

I doubt there is a team in the NHL that wouldn't sign Broberg to a 1.8 million dollar contract right now with zero hesitation. Its early for sure but its looking like a huge mistake

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

complains about future thread bumps...posts in the thread anyway

says posting about it is pointless...posts in the thread anyway

says "i'm indifferent", but is clearly passionately on one side

just be honest, you didn't handle this well...that's why you asked everyone else to stop talking about it, cherry picked examples that support your narrative, then said there's no reason to talk about it for 10 years...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can’t it just be about Broberg excelling in his new role? Blues fans are just excited about the present. If others want to focus on the Oilers, that’s not really about Broberg.
Different environment for the guy. Playing his natural left side which he would not be doing in Edm unless Bouchard was his partner, as they wouldn’t ask ekholm or nurse to slide over to the right.
Don’t expect the point pace to hold but showing that he’s capable of producing points.

Every team looks to improve their roster this their rfas whom they do have final say over are typically pushed to later in the offseason. But they ended up leaving themselves with little cap room and the compensation for the OS for their caliber of rfa was low enough to entice another team to make the OS.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
When your GM executes a successful OS it's like an adrenaline rush to the hockey receptors. When your GM successfully executes two OS's and one of those players is a top 4 D with 6 points in 6 games.......a state of zen is achieved.
Peter riding dolphin.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 16Skippy

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Can’t it just be about Broberg excelling in his new role? Blues fans are just excited about the present. If others want to focus on the Oilers, that’s not really about Broberg.
I guess that this is why there are soo many Nucks and Flames fans in this thread ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad