Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If you get rid of Kyle there is basically no one with any plate discipline other than Bryce. Truth is the stats show Nick should really be a platoon player. Nick should be one of the first ones to go though won't due to his little value.
Kyle should absolutely not be the only one with discipline. That has to be everyone not named Harper. The majority of the lineup needs to be guys who have discipline to set the table for the guys who hit for power and force pitchers to pitch to them.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
A Sosa

1694634045387.jpg

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
just give me a couple guys who see a lot of pitches per PA and can draw walks. Everything is under a microscope in the playoffs so individual AB’s become important. Things are tighter. There are no bad pitchers or teams to beat up on. Way too many quick easy outs in the lineup

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
They've got to add some guys that can put together some difficult at bats for opposing pitchers. Guys that can hit a single or put it through a gap. I dont need Schwarber/Harper level power added.... The middle/late part of the lineup need a major adjustment.

Trea Turner to me has been a complete disappointment. I can still hear John Hamm narrating his video he sent to teams..."as close to slump proof as it gets." And his Defense was abysmal.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
On my list of things that suck:

1) Goddamnit, Francona, you couldn't have waited one more week?
2) Can someone, anyone, anyone the actual factual f*** at all, work a f***ing count for once in your goddamned lives?
3) Why is Taijuan Walker?
4) Can we finally admit that we don't need a Chief Vibes Officer as much as we need a backup catcher?
5) Seriously, runners in scoring position is a thing we're allowed to have. Chicks may dig the long ball, but they won't give a damn how long your balls are if you're hanging them up there in big fat Ls.

Reactions: Rebels57

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Stott is too damn good defensively to be as shit at the plate as he is. He is a guy that needs to be playing every game, not platooning because he can't hit lefties.

Marsh is a replacement level player. Good vibes are great if you are contributing, he doesn't.

Bohm is hurt. I'll give him a pass only if he comes in refocused next year. But this postseason was terrible and it went beyond him being hurt. He was an automatic 1 or 2 pitch out every time up.

Clements and Hayes are completely worthless. They don't deserve a spot on a contending team.

Rojas is great defensively, but a disaster at the plate. I don't know if it's worth keeping him around.

We need guys who can get on base. Enough of this all or nothing long ball shit. It doesn't work in the postseason.
It worked for the Mets . . . but I don’t disagree.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
I don't know if it has been said, but all 5 of the top seeds in the NL have lost their series under the new playoff system. Dodgers could make it 6 for 6. AL has been more chalk, but it is obvious the bye does not help the top teams

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
I don't know if it has been said, but all 5 of the top seeds in the NL have lost their series under the new playoff system. Dodgers could make it 6 for 6. AL has been more chalk, but it is obvious the bye does not help the top teams

That sample size is 5.5 and tosses out the AL at the same time.

All byes are good. You want them. Always.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
If the AL has been more chalk, how is it obvious the bus doesn't help the top teams?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
You should always want the bye. Look at what happened to Houston. The Phillies lost 3 game series this year to the nationals and As, the less the games the more random it is. What they do in Japan is the team that gets a bye also gets an automatic win so they only have win 3 games to the other teams 4. I don't agree with that persay though it does really incentuvize the regular season.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That was the most painful baseball playoff series I've ever watched. The Phillies are clearly the better team on paper but man, this was just unreal the way the Mets were hitting the Phillies bullpen it was like a joke. I don't remember the stat but I think last night they said something like it was the first 1-2-3 inning for the bullpen in the entire series and it really felt like they were getting at least one run an inning off of the bullpen every night. The bats going cold honestly was less shocking because they really haven't been consistent since the All-Star Break but good grief those Mets bats against the bullpen was atrocious.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
This is the Phillies version of the Sabres series from when I was super young

Also, in totally f***ing sick of blowing leads in the playoffs. I mean we must be talking like 7;of their last 10 losses were late blown leads. This is not an indictment on the bullpen.

Which brings me to a point. Baseball for some reason has turned into the only sport where the main way you prevent other teams from winning is expected to be perfect. No one would EVER freak out about a football defense giving up 14 points, or any goalie giving up a goal. It's just not the expectation. And it never has been. Suddenly in baseball, when the bullpen blows a pair of 1-0 leads, it's off with their heads. You'd like them to have at least one of them of course, but this isn't a chicken/egg situation.

3 hits in 7 innings. Twice.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This is the Phillies version of the Sabres series from when I was super young

Also, in totally f***ing sick of blowing leads in the playoffs. I mean we must be talking like 7;of their last 10 losses were late blown leads. This is not an indictment on the bullpen.

Which brings me to a point. Baseball for some reason has turned into the only sport where the main way you prevent other teams from winning is expected to be perfect. No one would EVER freak out about a football defense giving up 14 points, or any goalie giving up a goal. It's just not the expectation. And it never has been. Suddenly in baseball, when the bullpen blows a pair of 1-0 leads, it's off with their heads. You'd like them to have at least one of them of course, but this isn't a chicken/egg situation.

3 hits in 7 innings. Twice.
I mean the bullpen absolutely had its issues, they shit the bed pretty thoroughly this series.

But

This wasn't just one or two pitchers having an off series, this was literally the entire staff. That kind of collapse just rarely happens in baseball. Especially with a collection of pitchers who are usually extremely good at doing their job. There is a reason they were widely regarded as the best bullpen in baseball this year, and it wasn't just fancy stat nerds looking at advanced metrics, they actually were that good this year.

Its the coaching. You cannot rely on your players playing themselves out of a jam every game in the playoffs when one mistake could end your season. You have to help them, and you have to know when to pull the trigger on a pitcher who is having a bad outing to curtail the opponent's momentum and keep control of a game before it spirals. And this is something that Topper is absolutely terrible at. Always has been, always will be. He hangs pitchers out to dry, waits too long to pull them, and then throws new relievers into impossible situations where one mistake gets you tagged for multiple runs and a lost game. Its consistently playing the absolute worst mind games with an entire bullpen, its no wonder they mentally crumble every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad