Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread VI

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Looking at the overall construction it seems pretty flawed. Not saying it's not going to work, but just a few thoughts...

The forwards are super thin, especially since none of the kids stepped up and Matty P hurt.

The defense seems to be pretty expensive. 30 mil or so. All of the value of having an ELC deal on the 2nd pair is negated by almost 8 million on the 3rd pair.

Goalie wise, it's seems insane to have a 3 mil dollar backup to a guy you just gave 8+ million too but maybe they really thought they could get him under 7. Just odd

Would a guy like Arvidsson at 2 rw and Wotherspoon at 3LD be better than Geekie at 2RW and Z at 3LD?

I'm sure it will all work out as the season goes on, but it really doesn't seem like this was the finished product game one they imagined?
I wonder if Arviddson was interested he took a short term deal to play in Edmonton. Feels like maybe he wanted to play with McDavid and Draisaital.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Jeez dude if it takes you 10 years to move on from a couple botched draft picks I can't imagine how long you hold a grudge for
I was not the one who originated the draft post and I was just responding to how good the scouting staff had done, but they still missed some very good players.

Time to move on as suggested by Gee Wally.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Always cracks me up when someone says their piece then leans on the “time to move on”
I have a few more good misses when it comes to drafting but this is 24-25 Roster thread. All I have to say is that poor drafting has contributed to some not so smart trade decisions by management. Sweeney always trying to compete for the Cup when the team is just not good enough and giving up high draft picks.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I have a few more good misses when it comes to drafting but this is 24-25 Roster thread. All I have to say is that poor drafting has contributed to some not so smart trade decisions by management. Sweeney always trying to compete for the Cup when the team is just not good enough and giving up high draft picks.
Lots of misses in the draft. Lots of hits too.

But Wally said move on so let’s move on.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Hope they will seperate Lohrei and Carlo they just dont mix physicaly, 2 big soft tower on the same pair it s not good defense, Lohrei is even softer than Carlo...

Reactions: NDiesel

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Who the people that keep bringing up 2015? I quite agree.
Why do you think we are now paying over 8 mil for a center who has had a couple of good seasons and 6 mil for a 3rd pairing defenseman. Obviously not much in the cupboards.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Tuukka is cool as hell in real life, not made for TV cool. seems like a guy who'd be a blast to get hammered with. But that's not television, he'll be governed. curious to see how it goes
Not going to get into a back and forth about how cool Tuuka is, but I have a totally different opinion of how cool he is, and it is not cool. Trust me one thing I have always said about hockey players they are just great with the public, not true with this guy.He could take lessons from a Rick Middleton, Jay Miller and many others.

Reactions: Bmessy

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Why do you think we are now paying over 8 mil for a center who has had a couple of good seasons and 6 mil for a 3rd pairing defenseman. Obviously not much in the cupboards.

Because no team in the NHL has every roster spot filled by their own draft picks. Let's do this since it is the roster thread (and I have zero interest in discussing 2015): the Bruins have their #1 G, 3 of 6 starting D, and 4 of 12 starting forwards from Monday night as drafted players. We'll probably be adding Poitras to that group soon. Where does that rank among NHL teams? I'll start with this: the defending Cup champion Panthers had 2 of their starting 12 as their own draft picks, 2 of their 6 D, and the backup goalie.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yeah why can't we be more like the past cup champs and draft guys like Tkachuk and Bennett and Bobrovsky and Verhaeghe and Montour and Rodrigues and Forsling and OEL and Reinhart.

(Hint: none of those guys were homegrown)

But hey, let's move on like Gee Wally said

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah why can't we be more like the past cup champs and draft guys like Tkachuk and Bennett and Bobrovsky and Verhaeghe and Montour and Rodrigues and Forsling and OEL and Reinhart.

(Hint: none of those guys were homegrown)

But hey, let's move on like Gee Wally said

We can definitely apply this to the roster thread, though. Where I think the FO has not done so well and its showing in what we have today, is some of the FA signing choices going back some ways that have messed with cap space and not provided good value for money. That, and they've spent a lot of draft pick capital on players that didn't move the needle enough.

Reactions: NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
We can definitely apply this to the roster thread, though. Where I think the FO has not done so well and its showing in what we have today, is some of the FA signing choices going back some ways that have messed with cap space and not provided good value for money. That, and they've spent a lot of draft pick capital on players that didn't move the needle enough.
Yeah, unlike Chia who had a tendency to overpay bottom roster guys and give them NTC, I feel like Sweeney hands out too much term to those types of guys - I know it wasnt an FA signing but Korpi being an example of a guy who would be fine for a year or two at his AAV, but not at 4 years. Moore, Reilly, Forbort all other examples.

Probably just the nature of UFA though, you either gotta overpay price or term when you have other teams fighting over the same guy.

I'm also a proponent of not making massive changes to a roster at the deadline that is clearly working - tend to wonder if Orlov, Bert, Hathaway messed with chemistry and hurt more than helped even if they were good here.

But in regards to drafting, besides 2015, where they still got quite a few NHL players and grabbing Vaak when they didn't have as much a need for LD as center, I thought they have nailed it since then. Lots of people can't get past that one single draft though

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Not going to get into a back and forth about how cool Tuuka is, but I have a totally different opinion of how cool he is, and it is not cool. Trust me one thing I have always said about hockey players they are just great with the public, not true with this guy.He could take lessons from a Rick Middleton, Jay Miller and many others.
only met him once in a personal not public capacity and he was fine and quite funny. but yeah only anecdotal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad