Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Of the 13 times Topper has made a bullpen call this series, the Mets have scored in 11 of them.

f***ing genius managing right there

I mean they’ve rocked essentially everybody they have thrown out there. If it was just like one guy who they keep trotting out there who keeps getting tagged I could see the point. But not when they basically all are. Almost every single one of them have been tagged at some point, some of them even multiple times now.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
The bright side is they can’t ignore this after last NLCS. Same type of issues so “run it back” won’t fool any fan.

Are there guys out there that can give you a better playoff at-bat than Bohm, Marsh, Rojas, Hays? Castellanos and Stott to a lesser degree thought they’ve had their moments. I have to think yes. Maybe the regular season won’t be as easy but we need guys in the bottom of the lineup that can give a tough, professional at-bat. In the postseason I have to think the bottom half our lineup is replacement level. That should be easy to upgrade situationally but then maybe the regular season is more of a struggle

Thompson will be sacrificed. The fans will want blood and need to be appeased

Maybe the bats come alive tomorrow but I’m not holding my breath. They’ve been ice cold majority of the series

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean they’ve rocked essentially everybody they have thrown out there. If it was just like one guy who they keep trotting out there who keeps getting tagged I could see the point. But not when they basically all are. Almost every single one of them have been tagged at some point, some of them even multiple times now.
And if anything that speaks to a manager who just has absolutely no feel on who to pitch against who.

If it's just one guy getting lit up, that's on the player. But when it's everyone, theres something fundamentally flawed with the entire system.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
One thing the Mets do have...that cinnamon roll egg roll looks pretty damn good lol

Also want to try the Phillies funnel cake sundae

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
There are so many things to complain about that are totally reasonable, which only makes it more infuriating that so many people are latching onto this dopey “going backward every year” talking point.

Reactions: BiggE

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The game turned at Harpers atrocious AB in the 6th with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs. Was over right there.
Biggest AB of the year. It's baseball and he's come up countless times, but yeah that is a series changing AB. Manaea was firmly on the ropes.

And of course the next AB is yet another decently hit ball right at a Met for a DP.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
And if anything that speaks to a manager who just has absolutely no feel on who to pitch against who.

If it's just one guy getting lit up, that's on the player. But when it's everyone, theres something fundamentally flawed with the entire system.

Their four high leverage pitchers have largely sucked this series. The rest are irrelevant & they clearly have no faith in Alvarado given his usage or lack there of so far.

I get you want to blame Thompson for everything but how is their usage in the series largely different from any other time this year?

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Harper has had some huge clutch moments and is historically great in the postseason but he’s come up small a bunch in key times: game 6 and 7 last NLCS, the AB today which they needed badly.

Reactions: Rebels57

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Top of the lineup needs to start quick tomorrow or at least make the pitcher work. Bottom of the lineup needs to take pitches and just look for their one specific pitch. Every player needs the mindset of Turner and Harper from the 9th inning of game 2. Fight for the walk if need be with 2 outs

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Their four high leverage pitchers have largely sucked this series. The rest are irrelevant & they clearly have no faith in Alvarado given his usage or lack there of so far.

I get you want to blame Thompson for everything but how is their usage in the series largely different from any other time this year?

Alvarado was good down the stretch so the lack of faith is baffling. Thomson is bungling the bullpen just like last year. He's gotta go.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Honest question, when has this team ever been resilient in the playoffs?

After losing game two against the Braves last year?

Because anytime they actually got punched in the face they’ve wilted.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Biggest AB of the year. It's baseball and he's come up countless times, but yeah that is a series changing AB. Manaea was firmly on the ropes.

And of course the next AB is yet another decently hit ball right at a Met for a DP.
He's got to shorten up the swing in those moments. He's strong enough that even then, he's got enough pop to slug. His plate approach in those AB's just reeked of hero ball. Stop worrying about trying to reenact game four against the Padres.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Honest question, when has this team ever been resilient in the playoffs?

After losing game two against the Braves last year?

Because anytime they actually got punched in the face they’ve wilted.

jack-off-jerk-off.gif

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
The positive is that the Phillies bats are Jekyll and Hyde and whichever of those two characters we want can show up to play. A game 5 at home with Wheeler on the mound is appealing. If bleeding needs to be stopped early to keep them in the game he should absolutely be used. The team wants to show some resiliency? Tomorrow is the time. A great and gutsy game can be a springboard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad