Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The lowest common denominator of the blame game in baseball is the manager. If anything, the upper management deserves far more blame for building a lineup with so many holes in swings. There's no brilliant strategy to roster management that's going to fix that, and over thinking it usually leads to worse results (see the Mets with Diaz on Sunday).

I could give a rats ass if they fire Rob. But a new manager is not going to suddenly fix the pretty obvious roster flaws.

I like Marsh but the roster construction puts them in position where they need more out of him at the plate & he can’t even hit against lefties. You acquired Castellanos purely for the impact of his bat & he doesn’t hit impactful enough. Rojas can’t hit at all or doing anything productive at the plate.

So you always need to account for platoons while weighing factors like Rojas is useless at the plate & Castellanos can’t field/throw.

I don’t know, they made their bed imo with the roster construction. A lot of these guys also have profiles of being aggressive hitters even prior to their arrival here. So not really sure how that’s going to change.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I would have believed if they played any other team in the MLB. Is that something that isn't allowed? I'm still learning the rules as to when I'm allowed to be confident and when I'm not, it's confusing when no matter what I do I just get poo-poo'd away like I'm someone who's never watched or played baseball before
Please know. I’m just shit posting with you, always.

The point always from me has been that when you were confident in them they would seemingly fail.

It’s all we have in this sad sad world.

djw99

Feb 18, 2006
well it only took 8 innings and down 6 runs to hit a ball hard.

So a whole new outfield and a third base dude...and probably one in the rotation..awesome
schwarber needs to be moved to the 5 hole. and we need a leadoff hitter. Crawford if he was ready would be ideal, but that's a stretch.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's going to be a tough year down there next year. No honeymoon anymore. It's time for some of these guys to know what it feels like when the city is angry at them. The Flyers and Sixers both dealt with it. The energy will be down, and when they slump they will be relentless on them. Trea in particular, he might get run-out-of-town heat.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I like Marsh but the roster construction puts them in position where they need more out of him at the plate & he can’t even hit against lefties. You acquired Castellanos purely for the impact of his bat & he doesn’t hit impactful enough. Rojas can’t hit at all or doing anything productive at the plate.

So you always need to account for platoons while weighing factors like Rojas is useless at the plate & Castellanos can’t field/throw.

I don’t know, they made their bed imo with the roster construction. A lot of these guys also have profiles of being aggressive hitters even prior to their arrival here. So not really sure how that’s going to change.
Yeah, I mean what is any manager supposed to do with that scenario? And the answer upstairs was to go get Hays, who is another guy with serious flaws.

I'm not even concerned with this moment from them. The writing was pretty much on the wall after the all star break when the starting pitcher came off their half year heater. I'm more concerned where they go from here. They're pretty much married to the long term contracts on the aging guys, and even the second tier support guys like Bohm and Stott aren't pretty much finished products at this point. And as we've seen, they aren't good enough to elevate when the top of the lineup is struggling (at least not for extended periods of time in Bohm's case). Rojas, Marsh and Hays are replacement level players.

They might get an upgrade in RF in the offseason, but even then, is that suddenly going to make the rest of the lineup less prone to huge stretches of meh. Probably not.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
It's going to be a tough year down there next year. No honeymoon anymore. It's time for some of these guys to know what it feels like when the city is angry at them. The Flyers and Sixers both dealt with it. The energy will be down, and when they slump they will be relentless on them. Trea in particular, he might get run-out-of-town heat.
I thought it would have been like that this year with the collapse to Arizona but they got off to such a good start. This is only year 3 of them in the playoffs. I think it took to year 4 and the Hawks debacle when it turned.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I thought it would have been like that this year with the collapse to Arizona but they got off to such a good start. This is only year 3 of them in the playoffs. I think it took to year 4 and the Hawks debacle when it turned.
It has to be next year. The early part of this year said that what happened against Arizona was an anomaly and that it wouldn't happen again. So you could trust that it was going to be fine, especially when they beat the shit out of everyone early

But then the wheels fell off at the ASG and Topper has been unable to manage it back. And now we are seeing that this lineup really is that bad and that poorly constructed.

Things have to change. Casty has to go. f*** him and his kid, he isn't a $30m a year player, he fan f*** off to AAA for all I care. Guy is a f***ing bum. And we need a lot more from the other 2 outfielders as well. That's the one position in baseball where you really should be taking in the lineup and it's our biggest weakness. Unfathomable we have ourselves in this spot. It's long past time to fix it, even if that means paying players to go away.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Probably punting to keep the high leverage guys for tomorrow. Suarez might only go 3-4 tomorrow, especially if he gets in trouble early.
If Ranger goes 4 innings and keeps them in the game that is a win. Their bullpen is terrible currently though. I expect Ranger to get bombed, been a bad pitcher for 4 months.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
On the radio all year the arguments were about whether or not people should be enjoying the start of the season and not grinding to the playoffs as a wild card. Also consider the team made a big point to make winning the division a goal. That’s not going to be the case next year, even if they win 120 games. Getting by because of Vibes won’t be on the table next year, they’re going to know now why there are people who hate playing here.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Of the 13 times Topper has made a bullpen call this series, the Mets have scored in 11 of them.

f***ing genius managing right there

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The game turned at Harpers atrocious AB in the 6th with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs. Was over right there.

2nd game in a row Harper had the most important AB...on different ends of the spectrum.

Reactions: Magua

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think if they win tomorrow they win Friday just don't see them tomorrow. This is a flawed offensive team. Which is a shame cause the league is wide open this year.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad