Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Alvarado was good down the stretch so the lack of faith is baffling. Thomson is bungling the bullpen just like last year. He's gotta go.

He’s been up & down all year. He probably had an opportunity to stake a claim tonight with everybody struggling in a lower pressure spot but he did what the rest of them have done with a poor outing.

Reactions: Rebels57

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I'm so sick of these f***ing teams wasting every good thing I watch. The Flyers wasted Giroux. The Sixers are wasting Embiid. The Phillies are wasting Harper and Wheeler. The Eagles wasted TO and they're wasting Brown. At least they didn't waste Kelce

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It's going to be a tough year down there next year. No honeymoon anymore. It's time for some of these guys to know what it feels like when the city is angry at them. The Flyers and Sixers both dealt with it. The energy will be down, and when they slump they will be relentless on them. Trea in particular, he might get run-out-of-town heat.

If they lose tomorrow, yeah, Trea will probably get it in the offseason...but it's the even bigger guy that I'd be worried about. A thought I've had for a while:

When Harper signed with the Phillies, my first thought was that 13 years is a dauntingly long time for a gloryboy to survive in Philly. Don't get me wrong, unbelievable player who has/will have big moments. But he knows he's in a sports media environment that chewed up and chased out McNabb, Iverson, and Lindros all in a decade or less.

And I think he actually views that as part of the challenge he signed up to conquer, hence the literal pandering...he thinks that's the way you keep it at bay, but probably doesn't realize it'll make things much worse when they turn on you. It doesn't even have to make sense or be your fault. Mismanagement, poor talent around you...doesn't matter. It's a city that eats its stars. The only people who can thrive here are low-expectations randos or absolute feral dogs.

I think if Harper and the rest of the bunch don't pop off big tomorrow, he might start to learn that you can't outrun the slow drumbeat of rage that defines Philly as a sports town.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
If they lose tomorrow, yeah, Trea will probably get it in the offseason...but it's the even bigger guy that I'd be worried about. A thought I've had for a while:

When Harper signed with the Phillies, my first thought was that 13 years is a dauntingly long time for a gloryboy to survive in Philly. Don't get me wrong, unbelievable player who has/will have big moments. But he knows he's in a sports media environment that chewed up and chased out McNabb, Iverson, and Lindros all in a decade or less.

And I think he actually views that as part of the challenge he signed up to conquer, hence the literal pandering...he thinks that's the way you keep it at bay, but probably doesn't realize it'll make things much worse when they turn on you. It doesn't even have to make sense or be your fault. Mismanagement, poor talent around you...doesn't matter. It's a city that eats its stars. The only people who can thrive here are low-expectations randos or absolute feral dogs.

I think if Harper and the rest of the bunch don't pop off big tomorrow, he might start to learn that you can't outrun the slow drumbeat of rage that defines Philly as a sports town.
The Phillies are kinda a soccer mom and family type of fanbase that fair weathers a lot. It might not be the worst thing for them to feel some friction instead of being coddled by everyone

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Mike Schmidt said something about there being nothing like winning and then having to read about it in the morning.

Harper's bigger problem I think is that he's going to break down. He's been getting hurt annually. He's hurt right now. He's going to hit a wall and go off a cliff once he loses his bat speed if he keeps having problems with his arms.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm so sick of these f***ing teams wasting every good thing I watch. The Flyers wasted Giroux. The Sixers are wasting Embiid. The Phillies are wasting Harper and Wheeler.

I don't think the Phillies treated the deadline with enough seriousness; they miscalculated their holes at the plate. I do think people underestimate how hard it is to make a World Series, and I think people underestimate that almost buying a win with this little homegrown top talent is an exception. It's very hard to even make the postseason. "Wasted" isn't the word I'd use when they've spent as they have. They should've had back to back WS appearances, if not for that epic home choke job. It's still the same flawed team that made that run 2 years ago -- the coin just doesn't always land heads. The window isn't closed, although it feels like we're down to 1-2 years. The Braves surely can't flame out and get injured every year.

The Sixers have everything they need -- it's on them in this short window. The Flyers suck all the ass. This is known.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
I think the FS1 commentators are casting hexes on the Phillies. What's up with all those balls barely not making the fence? I think it's a conspiracy.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
It would be typical if the Phillies have total command of the game tomorrow and win easily then lose game 5 1-0 with a pitiful 2 hits

It’s hard not to see the writing on the wall but baseball playoffs are such a roller coaster. Either way it will almost be an era defining game

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Ranger’s got us. I believe
The guy who's been literal dog shit since mid June? That Ranger?

I don't think the Phillies treated the deadline with enough seriousness; they miscalculated their holes at the plate. I do think people underestimate how hard it is to make a World Series, and I think people underestimate that almost buying a win with this little homegrown top talent is an exception. It's very hard to even make the postseason. "Wasted" isn't the word I'd use when they've spent as they have. They should've had back to back WS appearances, if not for that epic home choke job. It's still the same flawed team that made that run 2 years ago -- the coin just doesn't always land heads. The window isn't closed, although it feels like we're down to 1-2 years. The Braves surely can't flame out and get injured every year.

The Sixers have everything they need -- it's on them in this short window. The Flyers suck all the ass. This is known.
Speaking of homegrown top talent, maybe Painter helps that fifth starter spot next season.

If they don't win the big one, it's a waste. Simple of that. If you don't win, you lose

Reactions: Rebels57

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Eh, I don’t know, I’m old enough to enjoy the ride if my team makes a deep run. I got to enjoy the one in ‘08. It is what it is, my dude.

Yeah, and the Eagles won, we all know the Flyers will never win, just gotta accept it I guess. Philly will remain the landfill it is currently long after we're all gone.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I don't even know what i'd do to change it in the summer. We can upgrade 6-9 for sure, but the pitching is good, the bullpen is good, the openers are good but for some reason they get into a collective trance sometimes and lose all sense of how to play. Even Harper can't think to draw a walk from a guy who's just thrown two.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Padres won Game 3.

The top 2 seeds in the NL now face elimination by lower seeds that were hotter in the 2nd half.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
I'm so sick of these f***ing teams wasting every good thing I watch. The Flyers wasted Giroux. The Sixers are wasting Embiid. The Phillies are wasting Harper and Wheeler. The Eagles wasted TO and they're wasting Brown. At least they didn't waste Kelce

Do you have any idea how far off the reservation you have to get for me to yell about dopey fan entitlement?

The teams in the city right now spend money and try to win. Go ask a f***ing Pirates fan what it’s like to build a winner from within and have it be known that they’re never paying to keep the team together. Some of us lived through Norman Braman and Harold Katz and Bill Giles completely destroying franchises. It’s why I say over and over again that we need to appreciate how important people like Lurie are to their teams’ success. The Eagles at one point were only successful because they hired a transformative defensive mind who also hardcapped himself by REFUSING TO THINK ABOUT THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL. The other teams being so inarguably incompetent is part of what created so damn many Flyers fans.

The Phillies went to a WS with Harper. The Eagles went to a SB with Owens. The Eagles were consistently a good team with Kelce and won a heap of playoff games. If Brady wins that SB in OT and it means you think they wasted Kelce, you’re no better than the guy calling into WIP asking for them to run Saquon from the I formation 25 times a game because it worked for Emmitt Smith.

Why the hell is everyone so afraid to just enjoy a season? The Sixers probably aren’t going to win the title. If you let that ruin your enjoyment of the season, it’s a you problem.

Reactions: SnS and trostol

Chinatown88

360 days and counting
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
giphy.gif

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Hays and Bohm can't play tonight. Don't care it is a lefty, Bohm is just wilting. Play Stott. Hays is just not getting it done, put Wilson in the left field.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad