Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: Red October (2024 Edition)

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
i will never understand this athletes and the demand for money! Its stupid!

I understand that the owners earn soooo much more. But its stupid to pay a guy like Montgomery such money only because he is a free agent. But Pitchers like Suarez 3,0! Or Bohm 4.0!

The system is stupid and need to be worked over in my eyes. But it will not happen, so i should stop thinking about that!
Yea. Baseball has the highest 'gate-keeped' FA system of the 4 major sports. Although the legit superstars if they survive and are still effective can still make boatloads.

But you could have a kid sign at 16 from Central/South America and because of service time and other aspects not even become a complete free agent until they're 30.

The arbitration system is the biggest joke because it's also very 'gate-keeped' in that the amount awarded really isn't about PERFORMANCE, but how many years they've been in arbitration.

You could have a guy win MVP and go to their first year of arbitration and get 1/3 or less what they'd get as a FA... but also get substantially less than if they were in their SECOND year of arbitration.

You can have players enter arbitration with similar career stats, career slashes and coming off the same season but the guy doing it in his SECOND year of arbitration will make more money than the guy going into his FIRST year even though having similar career stats means the first year arbitration guy has actually performed better per year.

• Love
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I’ve seen that one and like 3 more of the same theme just today.

I don’t follow even one single baseball or fanatics related Twitter account and I’m seeing this junk everywhere. I can’t avoid it.
I see what you did there.

Reactions: Striiker

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
have someone that doesn't seem to be returning...1 spot..keeper league so not so sure what happens..not sure if you just take over the spot or what ..but for anyone interested

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Baseball’s salary system is very pro owner. Free agency is decided based on service time rather than age like the NHL (NHL has a combo rule for players who starts prior to 20). Because of this team's can manipulate service time by keeping a player in the minors longer than he should be to get an extra year of team control. And good luck getting a big contract if you make your debut at 25. First three seasons at the league minimum (lower than hockey's iirc). Next three seasons you are arbitration eligible (and they will take you there if they don't get their number) where you can earn a lot more, but you are still capped by the system. And unless you sign a team friendly extension, a player is on a one year contract every year until free agency. So if you underperform or get hurt, good chance you are getting cut and signing a minimum deal with another team the following year. And then because of the system, most guys that hit free agency are 30+ and teams know aging curves so there is little desire for teams to give long term contracts. And only about 10 teams in the league spend money in free agency so markets dry up pretty quick and that's why we have guys waiting for contracts in March. Oh and if you sign certain free agents you lose draft picks which also disincentivizes teams to spend. You have to go through hell and back to hit free agency and have a market as a player. You have to take advantage of it.

Not to mention the "wages" they paid their minor leaguers for years. It's a scummy sport. Never be "pro" owner.

Yea. Baseball has the highest 'gate-keeped' FA system of the 4 major sports. Although the legit superstars if they survive and are still effective can still make boatloads.

But you could have a kid sign at 16 from Central/South America and because of service time and other aspects not even become a complete free agent until they're 30.

The arbitration system is the biggest joke because it's also very 'gate-keeped' in that the amount awarded really isn't about PERFORMANCE, but how many years they've been in arbitration.

You could have a guy win MVP and go to their first year of arbitration and get 1/3 or less what they'd get as a FA... but also get substantially less than if they were in their SECOND year of arbitration.

You can have players enter arbitration with similar career stats, career slashes and coming off the same season but the guy doing it in his SECOND year of arbitration will make more money than the guy going into his FIRST year even though having similar career stats means the first year arbitration guy has actually performed better per year.

Thx guys. I learn from you every day!

Is it possible that they will ever change something? Like in other Sports. Or like with the Bosman court decision in Soccer.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Is it possible that they will ever change something? Like in other Sports. Or like with the Bosman court decision in Soccer.
The commissioner just got an extension so unlikely. These issues have been in the sport for years so they won’t be easy to change.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2010
PA

One of the biggest differences between soccer (not including MLS) and the North American sports is the collective bargaining between the owners and player's associations. All of this is "agreed" upon in the CBA where my understanding is that's not the case with soccer/FIFA/UEFA, CONCACAF, etc...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He was supposed to be upper 90s when they acquired him from Tampa. He was never near that as a Phillie.

The interesting part to monitor is that he had one of the best shaped sinkers in the league last year and if he sacrificed movement for velocity.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
He was supposed to be upper 90s when they acquired him from Tampa. He was never near that as a Phillie.

The interesting part to monitor is that he had one of the best shaped sinkers in the league last year and if he sacrificed movement for velocity.
++ Changeup too. He could really be something. Has the stuff and the command.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

giphy.gif

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

There was a pretty in depth article about him in the Athletic (might be linked in this thread already, I'm only reading this page) that talks about how his top velocity was a function of poor mechanics which severely limited his control, and that the team worked with him on trading velocity for control until they could build him back up through strength training and better mechanics.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There was a pretty in depth article about him in the Athletic (might be linked in this thread already, I'm only reading this page) that talks about how his top velocity was a function of poor mechanics which severely limited his control, and that the team worked with him on trading velocity for control until they could build him back up through strength training and better mechanics.

Would be great to have a guy like him emerge into a really good SP. I feel like the Phillies never really have those "out of nowhere" impact players in a long time. Lots of good players but most have them have been either big name signings/trades or high draft picks.

Reactions: Flybynite

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The way the media is playing up Merrifield youd think we got Ohtani. Theyre obsessed with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad