OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Where does everyone stand on that call?

I think they got the call right. Middlebrooks may have fell trying to get the ball, but he almost dolphin kicks his legs up in the air to trip up Craig. Craig would've had a much better head of steam going into home plate if it weren't for that.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Yeah I think they made the right call. And I'm not sure if they call it if Middlebrooks doesn't put his legs in the air. Although you could make the argument that Middlebrooks was moving his legs out of the baseline by putting them in the air. This will be a never ending debate.

Saltalamacchia shouldn't be making that throw though. He didn't learn from Breslow in game 2. Just play it safe.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Looking at slow motion I don't think his legs going up had any impact on the trip/stumble. Question is if he had just laid there and the same thing happened would it have still been called obstruction? I don't think so, it's tough to say but I don't like the call. I say if questionable, considering the circumstances, just let them play it out.

Phileeguy

Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Looking at slow motion I don't think his legs going up had any impact on the trip/stumble. Question is if he had just laid there and the same thing happened would it have still been called obstruction? I don't think so, it's tough to say but I don't like the call. I say if questionable, considering the circumstances, just let them play it out.

That's the million dollar question isn't it? Frankly, I think had Middlebrooks just laid prone and made no attempt at a trip by throwing up his legs obstruction probably wouldn't have gotten called. Umps might've thought "Well if he tried to get up and bumped Craig, that could've knocked him over so lying prone doing nothing would've been his best option."

Of course those scenarios implies intent is either a part of it or not. And in interviews and in articles after the play it has been noted that intent doesn't matter. If you obstruct on purpose or by happenstance, you've obstructed. So had Craig tripped over Middlebrooks with or without him flailing his legs the "right" call of obstruction should have been made. Basically a lose/lose situation for him.

Phileeguy

Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Lifelong Phillies fan and they HAD to win the world series while I was away at school in Ohio. Thanks for nothin! :sarcasm:

Such an awesome memory though.

Ouch, that stinks. I think that's one of those times you lie, beg, borrow or (petty) steal to find your way back to Philly. It shouldn't be with 4 franchises in this town, but for me it was a once-in-a-lifetime kind of event, and I just don't think you miss it if at all possible. I hate spoiled Boston, and wish a 50+ year pox on their franchises.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Ouch, that stinks. I think that's one of those times you lie, beg, borrow or (petty) steal to find your way back to Philly. It shouldn't be with 4 franchises in this town, but for me it was a once-in-a-lifetime kind of event, and I just don't think you miss it if at all possible. I hate spoiled Boston, and wish a 50+ year pox on their franchises.

I was on a cruise ship in the middle of the Bahamas during the Flyers Hawks series a few years ago. They didn't win, but still. I did, however, get back in time to watch game 6 at home :cry:.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Lifelong Phillies fan and they HAD to win the world series while I was away at school in Ohio. Thanks for nothin! :sarcasm:

Such an awesome memory though.

Same I was in South Carolina for school. My dad wouldn't let me drive home. Worse, SC couldn't give a crap about pro sports. It sucked.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Victorino still had a better postseason with the Phillies 2008. Look, media people may forget Shane as a Phillie but what matters is that Shane still remembers. And I think after retirement, if you gave him a choice, he would take Philadelphia.

Shane loves Philly and the fans love him. The flyin hawaiian was born in Philadelphia and he's not the type of guy to forget who the first team to give him a chance as a rule 5 was.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I'm happy for Victorino, although I'll always think of him as a Phillie and if I were to guess, I'd say he would too. He established himself as a major leaguer in Philly, made the All Star team and won a championship.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Happy for Victorino I guess...I'd be more happy for him if he had won it with like the A's or something lol.

Also to the guys who were away at school when the Phils won..I wasn't. But I had a midterm the day of the parade and my professor was a huge Mets fan. So yea.. I was here, in school.. during the parade.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So I was at the Sixers game last night on the Suite level and Brent Celek was next to us. Miguel Cabrera was in there too but I didn't notice that until later in the night. Cabrera is coming to Philly!

Last edited:

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
So I was at the Sixers game last night on the Suite level and Brent Celek was next to us. Miguel Cabrera was in there too but I didn't notice that until later in the night. Cabrera is coming to Philly!

Still can't believe the Sixers won last night. These stupid teams never do what we want them to. (Although part of me kind of likes that they beat Miami)

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly

If that somehow involved Howard going the other way, it would probably be one of the greatest trades in Phillies history, if not the greatest.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Told you I wasn't making it up haha.

20131101-124122.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad