OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
So we have the 7th overall pick, and I'm hoping for an non pitcher.

The minor league system is probably thinner in terms of pitching prospects than hitters at this point, so we could really use a top pitching prospect. That said, it's true about the injury risk but it's part of the game. They need to just take whichever player they have rated highest.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/tight-teammates-utley-asche-formed-bond-13

Nice article about Utley and Asche

It was not a coincidence that Cody Asche ended up with a locker right next to Chase Utley in the Phillies’ clubhouse when he came to the majors in July.

Utley had gotten to know Asche in spring training and thought there was something special there. So he mentioned to the clubhouse staff that he’d give up the veteran’s perk of a vacant next-door locker as long as Asche was moving in.

“I know that when you’re a young guy, it’s nice to have someone who has been around to help navigate you in the right direction,” Utley said. “Pat Burrell did it for me. He took me under his wing and I always appreciated it.”

For the record, Utley believes Asche will be the Phils’ opening day third baseman in 2014.

“I don’t see why not,” Utley said. “I think he’s going to be a good one. He’s got talent. I think he’s going to keep getting better. The fact that he wants to improve and get better is an encouraging sign.”

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
It is nice to see that other teams can load the bases with nobody out and fail to score a single run :laugh:.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
1z1tshd.jpg

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/blogs/Walter-White-was-almost-a-Phillies-fan.html

Walter White, the feature character on AMC's critically acclaimed hit Breaking Bad, was almost a Phillies fan.

Thomas Schnauz, one of the writers on the show, tweeted out a photo of Bryan Cranstan, the actor who played White, wearing a Phillies jersey during an unused scene from the show's third season.

The reason they chose not to use it? According to Schnauz, the writers "realized that would make him too unlikable."

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
David Ortiz, Danny Briere, Adam Vinatieri. The only players in recent memory that may legitimately be "clutch."

You simply can't put Briere in the same category in my opinion. Ortiz and Vinatieri were essential figures on multiple championship-winning teams. At least in the latter case, he likely rode those moments into the Hall of Fame--I'll leave it to the baseball experts to weigh in on Ortiz.

Briere scored some big goals, but he was also a brutally bad defensive player, responsible for allowing nearly as many as he potted. Without dragging the thread too far off topic, you just can't put him with those to guys, in my opinion.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The guy has the highest SLG % in the history of baseball playoffs.

He's clutch enough for me.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Has Beltran been legitimately clutch though? He's gone off in the playoffs multiple times but has he had those moments where it all came down to him?

The one time he failed was in 2006 game 7 bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded as Wainwright got him looking on a curve. I loved that it happened, but to fair to him he was on the Mets (which is a cursed franchise). But every other time he always seems to be getting the big hit, like the other night when it looked like nobody wanted to score in the 13th inning. I think one year he had 8 HR's in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
You simply can't put Briere in the same category in my opinion. Ortiz and Vinatieri were essential figures on multiple championship-winning teams. At least in the latter case, he likely rode those moments into the Hall of Fame--I'll leave it to the baseball experts to weigh in on Ortiz.

Briere scored some big goals, but he was also a brutally bad defensive player, responsible for allowing nearly as many as he potted. Without dragging the thread too far off topic, you just can't put him with those to guys, in my opinion.

True, but Ortiz and Vinatieri only had one job, they didn't have to play defense like Briere was supposed to do. So you can't really compare them and say Briere was bad at something they weren't even responsible for.

Also I forgot about Beltran. I know his numbers are good but the reason I forgot about him is because he hasn't been in the playoffs nearly as much as the other guys, and doesn't have as many memorable moments for me.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
True, but Ortiz and Vinatieri only had one job, they didn't have to play defense like Briere was supposed to do. So you can't really compare them and say Briere was bad at something they weren't even responsible for.

1) Briere didn't play defense, so that's not much of an excuse. :sarcasm:

2) I don't think you can compare the pressure of an individualized situation like baseball or kicking to a flowing team sport like hockey.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
1) Briere didn't play defense, so that's not much of an excuse. :sarcasm:

2) I don't think you can compare the pressure of an individualized situation like baseball or kicking to a flowing team sport like hockey.

Number 2 is very true, but I will counter number 1 with saying Ortiz was so bad at defense that they didn't let him play it, and made him a DH....but if they could have done that with Briere I'm sure they would have lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad