OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't understand it - hate the Yankees all you want but when it comes down to Rivera. Just give the man the respect he is deserved. He is a freak, he has done it for years and at times was pretty much automatic.

Enter Sandman will always be remembered as his walk/run in theme for me.

Here's to a great career, Mo-Rivera.

But what does that have to do with Hard Rock Cafe? My problem is this stupid ass retirement tour. Tell the team you're retiring but all this fanfare is stupid as hell.

Ilya Bryzastor

May 13, 2013
Philadelphia
I agree Rivera is the 2nd best closer of all time behind Wilhelm , but definitely not even close to top 100 pitchers of all time. I put Wins , Innings Pitched , and WHIP over E.R.A and saves.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I agree Rivera is the 2nd best closer of all time behind Wilhelm , but definitely not even close to top 100 pitchers of all time. I put Wins , Innings Pitched , and WHIP over E.R.A and saves.

I'm not sure how you could put Wilhelm or anyone else ahead of Rivera if you're talking about closers. Except for innings pitched (and Wilhelm made 52 starts in his career) Rivera comes out in front everywhere. Also, wins are virtually meaningless as an individual stat. Especially if we're talking about relievers/closers. Rivera struck out more batters, walked less, gave up less hits and had a lower ERA and ERA+ (which is league adjusted) than Wilhelm.

Ilya Bryzastor

May 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Those stats mean nothing when you compare the two , saves were rarely ever recorded back when Wilhelm pitched , he probably had a lot more than were recorded. Also strikeouts were way harder to get back then because batters would just make contact when at 2 strikes , now strikeouts are way more common. You can't compare the E.R.A either because Rivera pitched a hell of a lot less innings than Wilhelm did. If Rivera had pitched 1,000 more innings I'm sure his E.R.A would be higher. I grew up with Wilhelm, I just think if Wilhelm pitched now he would be better than Rivera. Also Wilhelm gave up more hits and walks because he pitched more innings.

Last edited:

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
No thanks man, he'll be in his mid to late 30's for that entire contract. I wouldn't put it past Amaro though.

Damn I didn't realize he was so old! Well then it'd be like a 1 year deal with an option, but yeah he does have injury history so I may just retract the statement haha.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Despite their best intentions to sabotage the tank (unlike the Flyers and that silly 4 game winning streak at the end :cry:), Im 99.9% certain the Phillies will be getting a protected pick (cant see them winning a game in Atlanta now after Lee lost last night)! Break out that checkbook Rube!

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Let's just hope for no stupid Amaro trades in the offseason. I don't want to lose Franco or Biddle because of that man's idiocy.

Ready for this nightmare of a season to be over.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Let's just hope for no stupid Amaro trades in the offseason. I don't want to lose Franco or Biddle because of that man's idiocy.

Ready for this nightmare of a season to be over.

Instead, be wary of stupid Amaro long-term, overpay FA acquisitions :shakehead

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Instead, be wary of stupid Amaro long-term, overpay FA acquisitions :shakehead

Basically be prepared for the absolute worst at this point. I will laugh if they sign some over the hill RH bat and declare their offense fixed. I shouldn't laugh though, since that's what they've been doing for the past two years.

Delmon Young is the answer, guys, I know it!!

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Everyone can complain about J-Roll all they want, but if anyone else was playing shortstop in the 9th, the Phillies would've lost. That was an unbelievable play.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Mercifully this season is finally over. First time in like 7 years that I haven't watched the last game.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Dubee is gone. If RAJ doesn't have a good offseason or the team struggles agin next yr with such a high payroll he's gone.

He should contact Homer on how to do a quick rebuild :laugh:

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
That article about RAJ where he is quoted as saying he made bad moves for a year is not very accurate IMO. He has made bad moves for the past 3 years at least!

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Dubee is gone. If RAJ doesn't have a good offseason or the team struggles agin next yr with such a high payroll he's gone.

He should contact Homer on how to do a quick rebuild :laugh:

F that, Hexy should become the Asst. GM for all 4 major teams in the city. He could be a VERY powerful man in a very short time :laugh:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So we have the 7th overall pick, and I'm hoping for an non pitcher.

Based off of past experience, The Phillies usually alternate going pitcher heavy and position player heavy every year. They went position player heavy last year. Just something to keep in mind. They have not, however, picked this high in quite a while (2001- Gavin Floyd- #4 overall). I'm always a BPA advocate so that is the way I would go. They could use just about anything. As much as a stud position prospect would be nice, this team does lack a top of the rotation guy in the system as well.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Based off of past experience, The Phillies usually alternate going pitcher heavy and position player heavy every year. They went position player heavy last year. Just something to keep in mind. They have not, however, picked this high in quite a while (2001- Gavin Floyd- #4 overall). I'm always a BPA advocate so that is the way I would go. They could use just about anything. As much as a stud position prospect would be nice, this team does lack a top of the rotation guy in the system as well.

That's true, but I feel like BPA isn't as clear cut in the first round of baseball drafts as it is in other sports. I could be wrong though. I see the least amount of risk, and quickest path the majors with college hitters. I don't want them to take a guy like that just take him. I'm just hoping there is someone like that at the top of the board when the draft rolls around.

High school pitching prospects worry me. Pitching prospects in general worry me lol, but high school kids more so, due to injuries and difficult projections.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That's true, but I feel like BPA isn't as clear cut in the first round of baseball drafts as it is in other sports. I could be wrong though. I see the least amount of risk, and quickest path the majors with college hitters. I don't want them to take a guy like that just take him. I'm just hoping there is someone like that at the top of the board when the draft rolls around.

High school pitching prospects worry me. Pitching prospects in general worry me lol, but high school kids more so, due to injuries and difficult projections.

Baseball is the riskiest draft out there. You really have to do your homework, have a little bit of luck, and a good development staff. The latter has been a problem of late for the Phills, but it appears changes are being made.

It's way too early to predict where they go with the pick, but it will be a huge stepping stone for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad