Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Vegas, Baby! (2023 Regular Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Nice execution there on the punt

They are Vikings, they expect these type of things. Plus they were 11-1 in one score games last year ffs. They used it all up.
I just meant I'm playing a dude with the Eagles D and Jefferson in fantasy

No interceptions please

And nice. Love to see it

I am once again here to tell you that automerge is the worst feature ever rolled out in the history of the internet

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
It's not that I'm super hung up on this or anything, but isn't the Eagles' O line built for this? And now a receiving back? Wouldn't it be smart to work a few in?

Obviously have to pick the right spot as that's half the battle of deception, but still

I suspect that they don’t want to run enough to make it worth much practice time. When you have a a QB like Hurts who allows you to have these QB runs as your safety valve, it means you can run more downfield plays. I’m going to illustrate my point on a different but related topic.

Remember last year’s NFCCG when everyone was laughing about SF trying to block Reddick with a TE? Shanahan had it blocked that way because it was Play Action. In order for PA to be effective, you have to make the play look and feel like a run. You will do things like that on running plays. Even practicing and using as much PA as SF did, the Eagles largely handled it. The NFL is full of aliens.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Are RB screens not backed by the advanced stats nowadays? Seems like it's all bubble screens. I guess the ball gets out faster?
My guess is DL has gotten so athletic that they're able to collapse the play more than they could 20 years ago in traditional west coast screen sets.

And honestly, this may be reaching, but inside screens are so structured and they require a lot of practice reps to get down. I just don't think these teams have enough install reps to perfect it anymore.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I suspect that they don’t want to run enough to make it worth much practice time. When you have a a QB like Hurts who allows you to have these QB runs as your safety valve, it allows you to run more downfield plays. I’m going to illustrate my point on a different but related topic.

Remember last year’s NFCCG when everyone was laughing about SF trying to block Reddick with a TE? Shanahan had it blocked that way because it was Play Action. In order for PA to be effective, you have to make the play look and feel like a run. You will do things like that on running plays. Even practicing and using as much PA as SF did, the Eagles largely handled it. The NFL is full of aliens.
Makes sense. Next question. Are bubble screens as much of deception play? How are they schematically different from RB screens? In non smart terms I feel as though bubble screens, though quick and using blockers, still consistute a "pass play". Line up like a pass, actually throw the ball 10 yards horizontally, no slipping lineman blockers, etc

Obviously they also require a magnitude of deception, but I feel like from a gameplan/play calling perspective, they're different

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Cousins threw for 364 yards. That’s alarming

Mac Jones 316 last week.
Meh, the Eagles are going to give that up by proxy of the defense they run and the injury situation in the back 7. They clog the run which is going to cause teams to abandon quicker and they only have two box LB's on the field. You take the shallow crosses as long as you're getting to the QB enough and preventing the over the top stuff.

They've invested in getting to the QB consistently. They're going to give up yards. They just can't lose contain on QB run or get smoked over the top. With that, the yards gained means almost nothing.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
2-0 while not playing their best. I’ll take it. Play calling needs work
Would agree. Vikes turnovers clearly were a huge gimme. Too many Penalties on us.

Glad at least Johnson adapted and stuck to the run when it was working. I love Swifts burst, so talented.

Nice to have 10 days to get healthier.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Makes sense. Next question. Are bubble screens as much of deception play? How are they schematically different from RB screens? In non smart terms I feel as though bubble screens, though quick and using blockers, still consistute a "pass play". Line up like a pass, actually throw the ball 10 yards horizontally, no slipping lineman blockers, etc

Obviously they also require a magnitude of deception, but I feel like from a gameplan/play calling perspective, they're different

This is a complicated one because they can be used in so many ways. Sometimes Bubble Screens are conditional. Then sometimes they’re constraint plays. Basically this means a coach uses it as a way to keep teams honest about how many run defenders they keep in the box.

Sometimes they’re even packaged with an RPO. You might have an RPO to the strong side and a bubble on the other end. They’re sort of everything all at once.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Would agree. Vikes turnovers clearly were a huge gimme. Too many Penalties on us.

Glad at least Johnson adapted and stuck to the run when it was working. I love Swifts burst, so talented.

Nice to have 10 days to get healthier.
Yeah. And I don’t think either the Pats or the Vikes are “automatically mark it in the win column”. Maybe the season will prove me wrong but I think both games will be considered quality wins to some degree.

Both games could be losses so being 2-0 instead of 0-2 is nice and minimizes WIP caller types. Good teams find ways to win games they should lose. Good teams come into their own as the season progresses

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Of course both wins weren't easy. But if we won both games 75-0 we'd have the same record we have today.

10 days to get healthy. Get better and on the same page. I think we're likely better than the Bucs. So, just go out there and prove it

Reactions: Rebels57

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You play a Thursday game, and you’re fortunate to get it at home. Don’t think either team practiced. You find a way to get through it and figure out the rest later.

The Vikings gameplanned to show looks that would confuse Hurts, and that did work, so they decided to play the game at the line of scrimmage while the Vikings kept dropping off 7 and 8 guys, and by the time adjustments were made, the Vikings DL was wearing down and made it easier to blow them up once they dropped down. The touchdown to DeVonta was the payoff when Hurts finally got a 1v1 look.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Of course both wins weren't easy. But if we won both games 75-0 we'd have the same record we have today.

10 days to get healthy. Get better and on the same page. I think we're likely better than the Bucs. So, just go out there and prove it
That's not how you spell "definitely".

Still a little nervous given the way SF and Dallas played in Week 1. But I'll give the Birds the benefit of the doubt -- lets get our injured starters back.

• Haha
Reactions: Sombastate
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad