Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Vegas, Baby! (2023 Regular Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It takes a team to blow a game to the Jets.
While this is true, I will reiterate...among the many issues yesterday the RedZone playcalling continued to be dreadful. That's now 6 out of 6 weeks it has been utter dogshit. What's the issue? The team has shown to be more-than-capable when they're not in the RZ, but once they get there they shit the bed.

My answer continues to be Johnson's playcalling. I was unimpresed with him game 1 and have continued to be unimpressed with him. He's got to go. Something has to give. They managed to get by the first 5 weeks with the RZ offense being asscheeks and it finally came and bit them yesterday.

The defense, without our stud Jalen Carter, more than held up their end of the bargain yesterday. Gave us a chance to win. The offense let us down.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's early, they're 5-1, teams have limped through the middle of the schedule then turned it on to finish the season.

I expect Howie to move a couple mid round picks for a S and a slot WR.
Wouldn't surprise me to see Johnson get a start over Driscoll at RT.

Johnson's playcalling has been disappointing, I have no problem with living through growing pains with Hurts staying in the pocket more, but so far the offense has been too "Vanilla," limited motion (to help Hurts make reads), slow developing plays, failure to adjust to teams playing shells and taking away big plays. The underneath throws too often are generic, though they are using Swift more.

Reactions: JXC

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
165bbe34-086d-4902-b68d-65e12e6c8007_text.gif

My new goal is to come up with a good hashtag for the Fuaga frenzy.

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I think Brian Johnson is average. And as usual, when you go from a tremendous play caller to an average one, the gut reaction is to think he's utterly inept.

I thought he made progress the last two weeks. And yes, this week was a step down. But I think we have to keep it in scope a bit. The Jets had no healthy Corners and in general prefer to keep more LBs on the field than the average team. So they went with an 11 heavy gameplan. That made total sense. And then Lane went out of the game.

When you've practiced all week with a gameplan and then one of the lynchpins of it goes out, that's a situation where most playcallers will struggle hard. Doubly so against an excellent front like the Jets. Even on that sliding scale, Johnson didn’t do well. I do think that they'll come back with a heavier gameplan next week because that's what average playcallers do. They get the time to think and arrive at generally the right answers.

It's not time for the Hurts conversation yet, but I will say that one of the things we've heard from some league and coaching sources over last and this year is that we haven't really seen Hurts succeed in 2 minute situations. While that seems like an absurd nit to pick on first view, I think it's worth examining what it actually means on the field. When you're trailing at the end of close games, even more than normal is on the QB. There isn't time for a ton of sequencing creativity. There's not much help coming from the running game. You just have to go out there and be better than everyone else.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
The Eagles know how to defeat that amorphous two-deep seven-in-coverage in-our-shell defense. They just won’t commit to it. “It’s a passing league now.”

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Eagles know how to defeat that amorphous two-deep seven-in-coverage in-our-shell defense. They just won’t commit to it. “It’s a passing league now.”
That's what I dont understand. They have shown in the pass that when the other team is going to play to stop the pass they will run it. It seemed like the Jets were just daring them to run and were committed to stop the ball being thrown. The Eagles thought they could win that way. Total coaching failure, Jalen was bad, and drops killed. Still probably would have won if not for the final turnover, that's why I would have done a qb draw or something. Not second guessing either. Make Zach Wilson go over 50 yards with no timeouts and maybe without Garrett Wilson in under 75 seconds.

Also Swift going out of bounds earlier that drive gave the Jets another 40 seconds. Would have potentially had an opportunity to snap that final third down with 80 seconds left. Just bad offensive play and coaching all around.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That's what I dont understand. They have shown in the pass that when the other team is going to play to stop the pass they will run it. It seemed like the Jets were just daring them to run and were committed to stop the ball being thrown. The Eagles thought they could win that way. Total coaching failure, Jalen was bad, and drops killed. Still probably would have won if not for the final turnover, that's why I would have done a qb draw or something. Not second guessing either. Make Zach Wilson go over 50 yards with no timeouts and maybe without Garrett Wilson in under 75 seconds.

Also Swift going out of bounds earlier that drive gave the Jets another 40 seconds. Would have potentially had an opportunity to snap that final third down with 80 seconds left. Just bad offensive play and coaching all around.
Reminded me of the Andy Reid era. Just playing to outsmart everyone or prove something instead of playing to win. You are going to focus on the pass? We'll pass anyway and still win! Ooops...

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
It's not time for the Hurts conversation yet, but I will say that one of the things we've heard from some league and coaching sources over last and this year is that we haven't really seen Hurts succeed in 2 minute situations. While that seems like an absurd nit to pick on first view, I think it's worth examining what it actually means on the field. When you're trailing at the end of close games, even more than normal is on the QB. There isn't time for a ton of sequencing creativity. There's not much help coming from the running game. You just have to go out there and be better than everyone else.

I always thought Hurts was a bit overrated. There are times to play with a little urgency, and times that slowing down are good. He seems to always be slowed down. Before snaps, it takes him 5+ seconds to analyze the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad