OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Now We Wait And See What The Future Brings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Ok
First, I am sick and f***ing tired of the ignorance excuse. Jackson is a 33 year old man, if he doesn’t know who Hitler was, SHAME ON HIM!!

Second, a big f*** you to the players blabbing the “lets not lose focus b.s.” So racism by police is sin of all sins, but anti-Semitism is no big deal? f*** off.

I was already disgusted by the NFL’s spineless pandering, but this is the final straw. The Philadelphia Eagles and NFL can both go to hell.

Fining him was a chickenshit response. Don’t think so? Just imagine if a white player had posted the same in regards to Hitler and instead of Farrakhan, that player quoted David Duke. Think he’d just get a fine? Yeah right.

Racism and bigotry are horrible, but that includes racism against anyone. Black, Jewish, Hispanic, Asian, whatever. I’m thoroughly disgusted right now!

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Ok
First, I am sick and f***ing tired of the ignorance excuse. Jackson is a 33 year old man, if he doesn’t know who Hitler was, SHAME ON HIM!!

Second, a big f*** you to the players blabbing the “lets not lose focus b.s.” So racism by police is sin of all sins, but anti-Semitism is no big deal? f*** off.

I was already disgusted by the NFL’s spineless pandering, but this is the final straw. The Philadelphia Eagles and NFL can both go to hell.

Fining him was a chickenshit response. Don’t think so? Just imagine if a white player had posted the same in regards to Hitler and instead of Farrakhan, that player quoted David Duke. Think he’d just get a fine? Yeah right.

Racism and bigotry are horrible, but that includes racism against anyone. Black, Jewish, Hispanic, Asian, whatever. I’m thoroughly disgusted right now!

I mean....I know his name has been invoked a lot, but: Riley Cooper.

The Eagles have pretty consistently advocated for education and second chances with players (Cooper, Vick, and now DeSean). If they did cut DeSean, it'd be a bit of an unusual response for them.

Note: Howie (GM) and Lurie (Owner) are both Jewish (well Lurie isn't practicing, but born of a Jewish family). Certainly can't say this issue doesn't hit home with them and they're being lenient because "they don't get it"

I think DeSean should be cut, but the precedent with Cooper set years ago helped dictate it I'm sure. Sends a weird message if they draw the line at antisemitism, but not racism against black people.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I mean....I know his name has been invoked a lot, but: Riley Cooper.

The Eagles have pretty consistently advocated for education and second chances with players (Cooper, Vick, and now DeSean). If they did cut DeSean, it'd be a bit of an unusual response for them.

Note: Howie (GM) and Lurie (Owner) are both Jewish (well Lurie isn't practicing, but born of a Jewish family). Certainly can't say this issue doesn't hit home with them and they're being lenient because "they don't get it"

I think DeSean should be cut, but the precedent with Cooper set years ago helped dictate it I'm sure. Sends a weird message if they draw the line at antisemitism, but not racism against black people.
Times change, they need to change with them. I wanted Cooper cut at the time and I was sickened when they signed Vick. But this is worse, because it’s 2020 and there is supposed to be no tolerance for this garbage. What’s worse is the attitude by many of Jackson’s fellow players that racism against Jews is not as bad as racism against Blacks. That is revolting. Jews have faced vicious repression for millennia in more places than I can count.

Racism and intolerance are disgusting in all of their repulsive forms. And when it comes from someone who makes a great living in the public eye and is an influencer of kids, it’s even more hideous.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Mitch Albom: Anti-Semitic posts — and tepid reactions — should enrage us

These days, you can lose your job for a tweet. You can lose it for a retweet, or a spouse’s tweet. If your message is considered racist or hateful, it can bring an onslaught of condemnation, followed swiftly by an erasure of your reputation and your career.

So it might seem surprising that after NFL star DeSean Jackson posted several anti-Semitic messages on Instagram last weekend — including a quote he (wrongly) attributed to Adolf Hitler claiming Jews “will extort America” and “have a plan for world domination” — there was no mass outrage from his industry, and no immediate punishment from his team.

In fact, although they labeled the posts "offensive" and "appalling," it took nearly a week before the Philadelphia Eagles finally announced the consequences for Jackson’s hateful messages: An undisclosed fine.

Think about that. A fine. Meanwhile, despite Jackson repeating the worst form of Jewish stereotyping and citing not only Hitler but Louis Farrakhan, who has called Jews “satanic” and likened them to “termites," only a handful of athletes (several of them Jewish) and some notable media voices criticized him.

Jackson did, however, receive support from other sports stars, including former NBA player Stephen Jackson, who initially said DeSean was “speaking the truth” and claimed Jews “are the richest” and “control the banks," then later said, “I don't support Hitler, I don’t know nothing about Hitler and I could give a [expletive] about Hitler!”

Fellow Eagle Malik Jackson supported DeSean Jackson as well, and echoed praise for Farrakhan, even though Farrakhan has referred to Hitler as “a very great man.”

Malcolm Jenkins, an NFL player with the New Orleans Saints known for social justice advocacy, seemed bothered that this was “a distraction” from the Black Lives Matter movement, saying: “Jewish people aren’t our problem, and we aren’t their problem ... We’ve got a lot of work to do, and this ain’t it.”

Respectfully, Malcolm, yes, it is.

Because you can’t separate one hate from all hate, any more than you can separate a breeze from the wind.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
One of the things that is going on in today’s society is the creation of equivalencies in order to justify something. This is a bogus defense. Every act stands on its own. If prejudice against one group is unacceptable then prejudice is unacceptable against all others. If Jews didn’t face discrimination, neither would other groups. When you can hate one thing, you have planted the seed to hate everything.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
jenkins and all these athletes are frauds. simple as that.

They're not frauds. It's more complicated than that.

I think there's a lot of complications at play here. I was trying to stay out of these conversations (until there is anything new), but now that this Albom article came out I have to speak on it a bit on the side of the players being critiqued for not being outspoken. There's different identities you live by as a person and issues affect you differently based on those identities. Why most NFL players aren't speaking out about this?

My guess is:

1) Mostly players aren't Jewish, so they don't feel personally motivated to stick their necks out during a time when many already have stuck their necks out for their own identities (which has caused turmoil). Players are likely just trying to "stay in their lane" when they can't speak as a member of the community that was harmed.

2) They'd be speaking out agains their own colleague, which can have adverse effects.

*Note: if they were asked about it directly, I'm sure they'd say DeSean was wrong and being dumb. I think there's a standard people have right now that every player should give their take on a situation just because they are players.

I think many people want this "speaking out unprovoked" to be the case because they are annoyed Drew Brees had fellow players clap back at him for his stance with the flag. That situation was different than this DeSean-Hitler situation in how it relates to all of the NFL. Both are bad, and DeSean's comment was overtly dumber, but how Brees' impacted NFL players/teammates specifically was much more pronounced.

3) People in-general are more impacted by issues that hit closer to their identities. The flag issue is an issue directly tied to African-Americans & NFL players, so Brees' comment checked both those boxes. That issue will always strike a bigger chord than most.

If you think they're frauds in this scenario, then think about yourself. Do you care what happens in Syria, South Africa, the UK, etc.? Or do you mainly complain about politics/issues in the U.S.?

Because those issues aren't "close to home" you react differently. Boris Johnson (UK PM) is as controversial a leader as Trump (okay maybe not AS, but he's pretty controversial for a UK PM) and I'm sure many Americans haven't really even paid attention. Why? Cuz they're not from the UK.

Anyway, I'm beginning to ramble more than usual...BUT I think expecting NFL players to HAVE to comment on every instance of wrong-doing by an NFL player just because he's an NFL player is total nonsense.

I think a lot of white people (p.s. I'm white) feel threatened, even "under attack" lately and think only white people can be canceled, so they're manipulating this situation to PROVE that it's true only white people can be canceled even if something as bad as this happens. I don't remember NFL players everywhere outside of the Eagles being forced to speak about Riley Cooper's incident (could've happened, but I don't recall it)...so why do NFL players have to speak on this? Just because it's happened more frequently lately from someone players, it's now a requirement?

And to whomever replies: I'm more than happy to hear your response if you want to engage in a dialogue, but know that I have an extremely open mind and don't think black/white. It isn't a black or white issue, even if people insist it is.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019

I think there's a lot of complications at play here. I was trying to stay out of these conversations (until there is anything new), but now that this Albom article came out I have to speak on it a bit on the side of the players being critiqued for not being outspoken. There's different identities you live by as a person and issues affect you differently based on those identities. Why most NFL players aren't speaking out about this?

My guess is:

1) Mostly players aren't Jewish, so they don't feel personally motivated to stick their necks out during a time when many already have stuck their necks out for their own identities (which has caused turmoil). Players are likely just trying to "stay in their lane" when they can't speak as a member of the community that was harmed.

2) They'd be speaking out agains their own colleague, which can have adverse effects.

*Note: if they were asked about it directly, I'm sure they'd say DeSean was wrong and being dumb. I think there's a standard people have right now that every player should give their take on a situation just because they are players.

I think many people want this "speaking out unprovoked" to be the case because they are annoyed Drew Brees had fellow players clap back at him for his stance with the flag. That situation was different than this DeSean-Hitler situation in how it relates to all of the NFL. Both are bad, and DeSean's comment was overtly dumber, but how Brees' impacted NFL players/teammates specifically was much more pronounced.

3) People in-general are more impacted by issues that hit closer to their identities. The flag issue is an issue directly tied to African-Americans & NFL players, so Brees' comment checked both those boxes. That issue will always strike a bigger chord than most.

If you think they're frauds in this scenario, then think about yourself. Do you care what happens in Syria, South Africa, the UK, etc.? Or do you mainly complain about politics/issues in the U.S.?

Because those issues aren't "close to home" you react differently. Boris Johnson (UK PM) is as controversial a leader as Trump (okay maybe not AS, but he's pretty controversial for a UK PM) and I'm sure many Americans haven't really even paid attention. Why? Cuz they're not from the UK.

Anyway, I'm beginning to ramble more than usual...BUT I think expecting NFL players to HAVE to comment on every instance of wrong-doing by an NFL player just because he's an NFL player is total nonsense.

I think a lot of white people (p.s. I'm white) feel threatened, even "under attack" lately and think only white people can be canceled, so they're manipulating this situation to PROVE that it's true only white people can be canceled even if something as bad as this happens. I don't remember NFL players everywhere outside of the Eagles being forced to speak about Riley Cooper's incident (could've happened, but I don't recall it)...so why do NFL players have to speak on this? Just because it's happened more frequently lately from someone players, it's now a requirement?

And to whomever replies: I'm more than happy to hear your response if you want to engage in a dialogue, but know that I have an extremely open mind and don't think black/white. It isn't a black or white issue, even if people insist it is.
just curious why you think what bress said was wrong? he wants people to stand. Not sure how that is wrong.

yes they are frauds as imo they dont really give 1 iota to what is going on as they are millionaire athletes who live in an entirely diff world than the common person. What exactly have they accomplished? only time you hear from them is when someone is "murdered" (false narrative by the way) by the bad police

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008

My guess is:

it’s not more complicated than that. If we are taking a hard stance on racism, it can’t be tolerated whatsoever. It’s as simple as that.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
just curious why you think what bress said was wrong? he wants people to stand. Not sure how that is wrong.

yes they are frauds as imo they dont really give 1 iota to what is going on as they are millionaire athletes who live in an entirely diff world than the common person. What exactly have they accomplished? only time you hear from them is when someone is "murdered" (false narrative by the way) by the bad police

Because Brees was being an idiot and didn't understand what the kneeling during the anthem was all about. His fellow teammates and brothers from the African-American community were kneeling in their peaceful protest against Police brutality in America against minorities. He, like others, made it all about "respect the flag!" instead of listening to their brothers and supporting the movement.

When you say "No matter what I think you should stand for the flag" you're basically saying "your little protest isn't important enough for me to kneel with you while the flag is present." His brothers are saying they're lives are being compromised (and have been for ages) on a mass-scale, and his response (like others) was "Meh, flag is more important"

That is what he said wrong. And he said it at exactly the wrong time. He can have his opinion, but what do you expect teammates and colleagues to do when one of their brothers (Brees) essentially says he doesn't care that much about their lives.

Listen, you're clearly entrenched in your beliefs and I won't respond to your last paragraph because it's filled with emotion rather than reason. You're dug in and I know I won't convince you of anything.

it’s not more complicated than that. If we are taking a hard stance on racism, it can’t be tolerated whatsoever. It’s as simple as that.

It is more complicated than that.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Because Brees was being an idiot and didn't understand what the kneeling during the anthem was all about. His fellow teammates and brothers from the African-American community were kneeling in their peaceful protest against Police brutality in America against minorities. He, like others, made it all about "respect the flag!" instead of listening to their brothers and supporting the movement.

When you say "No matter what I think you should stand for the flag" you're basically saying "your little protest isn't important enough for me to kneel with you while the flag is present." His brothers are saying they're lives are being compromised (and have been for ages) on a mass-scale, and his response (like others) was "Meh, flag is more important"

That is what he said wrong. And he said it at exactly the wrong time. He can have his opinion, but what do you expect teammates and colleagues to do when one of their brothers (Brees) essentially says he doesn't care that much about their lives.

Listen, you're clearly entrenched in your beliefs and I won't respond to your last paragraph because it's filled with emotion rather than reason. You're dug in and I know I won't convince you of anything.

Well disagree. Brees is against racism and police brutality. He feels you should stand for the flag- yep no matter what your cause is; that isnt wrong. You can be supportive of both; thats what many fail to comprehend. Brees is also a fraud. He knew why they where kneeling last few years give me a break he didnt "understand" it; he knew and should have stood by his beliefs. As there is nothing wrong with that belief.

Well his "brothers" do very little when you really break it down. No emotion here at all. Only time you hear for them is when something happens. Is that false?

Also what lives are being compromised on a mass scale?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Well disagree. Brees is against racism and police brutality. He feels you should stand for the flag- yep no matter what your cause is; that isnt wrong. You can be supportive of both; thats what many fail to comprehend. Brees is also a fraud. He knew why they where kneeling last few years give me a break he didnt "understand" it; he knew and should have stood by his beliefs. As there is nothing wrong with that belief.

Brees isn't a fraud - he was just exposed.

Well his "brothers" do very little when you really break it down. No emotion here at all. Only time you hear for them is when something happens. Is that false?

What does that even mean?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

Reactions: Chinatown88

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Alright imma chill on the DeSean stuff for now for the sake of the thread

Instead, let's talk about the reports about the Birds ready to make a big move

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don’t care to step too much into this shit storm.....but I do chuckle cynically that acknowledging, “I don’t agree with Hitler!” or going to a museum and saying, “The Holocaust was terrible!” is viewed as a self-congratulatory win for tolerance. Hurray us!

That’s the bare minimum, a threshold right above breathing air. Anti-semitism takes plenty of more insidious forms today in the western world than that — including from learned sources. Just like you don’t have to wear a white hood to be a racist. Should everyone educate his or herself and go to a Holocaust museum (or any museum or take any course of study)? Hell yes. But it’s sad when the baseline is treated as some revelatory achievement.

Last edited:

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008

How is it more complicated....explain. If we are taking a stance against racism, it can’t be tolerated whatsoever...white or black.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I don’t care to step too much into this shit storm.....but I do chuckle cynically that acknowledging, “I don’t agree with Hitler!” or going to a museum and saying, “The Holocaust was terrible!” is viewed as a self-congratulatory win for tolerance. Hurray us!

That’s the bare minimum, a threshold right above breathing air. Anti-semitism takes plenty of more insidious forms today in the western world than that — including from learned sources. Just like you don’t have to wear a white hood to be a racist. Should everyone educative themselves and go to a Holocaust museum (or any museum or take any course of study)? Hell yes. But it’s sad when the baseline is treated as some revelatory achievement.
My issue is it’s literally doing what people are accusing white people of doing. The whole narrative right now really isn’t about solving anything. It’s about trying to start a upraising. Not to fix problems but to either boost one side of the equation while blaming the other.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Jenkins could have just as easily said

"what DeSean said goes against everything we are fighting for. I'm going to call my friend and colleague up and make sure that we stay focused on what the goal is, equality, and the safety of all of our citizens. This is what we want, DeSean's statement's don't change any of that. We are a unified movement that is meant to make sure that bigotry doesn't exist anywhere."

That is stern, honest, on brand, everything.

He failed. And it's ok to say that he failed. it doesn't mean that B:LM failed, it doesn't mean that the movement means less than it does. But as a leader, you should be called out for failing to lead, which is exactly what he did.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Alright imma chill on the DeSean stuff for now for the sake of the thread

Instead, let's talk about the reports about the Birds ready to make a big move

Me against the world, so what?
I'm Brian Dawkins versus the whole 0-16 Lions offense
So bring on the Giants Falcons and Miami Dolphins
It's the body bag game bitch I'm supplyin coffins
Cuz you dicks butt kiss
Bunch of Brian Baldingers
You gon die a ball licker
I been diabolical with this dialogue since 99 Rawkus
Y'all don't respect the legacy I leave behind y'all can suck a dick
The day you beat me, pig's'll fly out my ass in a flying saucer full of Italian sausage!
The most high exalting and I ain't halting til I die of exhaustion
Inhale my exhaust fumes!
The best part about me is I am not you, I'm me
I'm the fire Marshall, and this is my legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad