OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Now We Wait And See What The Future Brings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Like I said, considering the source, it's very believable that he didn't understand what it meant, so he probably doesn't understand why people are so upset about it, and if he doesn't understand why people are so upset then he's not going to be as apologetic as people want him to be.

Honestly, I think this was ignorance, not malice, and that should be taken into account. Context and intent are important.

Maybe in the future we steer clear of Hitler quotes, just to be safe, huh? :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Like I said, considering the source, it's very believable that he didn't understand what it meant, so he probably doesn't understand why people are so upset about it, and if he doesn't understand why people are so upset then he's not going to be as apologetic as people want him to be.

Honestly, I think this was ignorance, not malice, and that should be taken into account. Context and intent are important.

Maybe in the future we steer clear of Hitler quotes, just to be safe, huh? :laugh:

I feel like seeing "Hitler" should stop even the dumbest of dumb-dumb's in their tracks though.

He does bear some responsibility for how stupid he is. I don't have much sympathy for people that follow the word of Farrakhan. That's a major character flaw right there.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I feel like seeing "Hitler" should stop even the dumbest of dumb-dumb's in their tracks though.

He does bear some responsibility for how stupid he is. I don't have much sympathy for people that follow the word of Farrakhan. That's a major character flaw right there.
You'd think so, but he's an especially dumb dumb-dumb.

Reactions: Rebels57

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm really intrigued by this DeSean situation. I consider it to be a landmark in a tumultuous racial landscape in the country right now...

Depending on how DeSean is handled, could determine how a situation like this happens in the near future (if it pops up again). DeSean is the first man of color I'm aware of (that has the influence he has) that has done something others would be cancelled for by the public.

Note: I'm an obscenely liberal dude...but man DeSean really blew it. I'm not saying he should be cut, but I do question if race will play a factor as to whether he'd be cut over another player.

Will be an interesting case study, I think.

Ice Cube’s been tweeting out similar stuff for the last few weeks. But he doesn’t really have an obvious employer to my knowledge like Jackson.

You have the Riley Cooper situation where the Eagles kept him on. So I think it’s ultimately a damned if you do & damned if you don’t situation.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

If you don't know who Hitler was, regardless if the content is real or not, then you shouldn't even have a social media account.

There is literally 0 defense for this moron. He couldn't even issue an appology of "I really f***ed up, Im so sorry, I didnt even read it properly or understand."

If the Eagles don't fire him, the NFL should step in. Half of America was on fire because of racial discrimination, then he comes out with this?

Reactions: BiggE

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would label this situation......extreme. Extremely ignorant, offensive, moronic, whatever. I also believe it will get the extremely double standard treatment and be forgotten extremely quickly.

I'm not for people losing jobs over political opinions at the behest of mob mentality. But, boy, this is as bad as it gets and goes well beyond "opinion." Don't even know a basis for comparison. I'm not even for cutting him necessarily -- there can actually be good that comes from this. DeSean might be too stupid to grasp anything beyond a dog and pony show of an apology (further apology?), but a reaffirmation of where peoples' values stand or where they should stand isn't the worst thing.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I think when you impact your companies financial situation by boycotts due to offensive statements that certainly alters the "shouldn't be fired for something you say" argument.

Not talking about any boycotts yet here that I have heard about, but talking about it in a general sense.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I hate cancel culture, I really do. But if that's the world we're living in, he has to go. No two-ways about it.

Drew Brees said something uniquely tone def and was lambasted by every ESPN talk show for days, and somehow this isn't even on the front page of the ESPN (other than what the eagles said about it).

Cancel Culture can't be this buffet where you pick and choose what you want to be offended by.

I'm not Jewish, and this is disgusting. I'm not offended, I feel fine today, but I am blown away that anyone in 2020 thinks quoting Hitler (whether real quote or not) is somehow ok.

Bringing up Riley Cooper is a lame argument because the ONLY reason he survived that was Michael Vick.

It's also deeply telling that not a single player, past or present, is saying anything to DeSean. Drew Brees said he thinks people should stand for the flag and the entire NFL came down on him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think when you impact your companies financial situation by boycotts due to offensive statements that certainly alters the "shouldn't be fired for something you say" argument.

Not talking about any boycotts yet here that I have heard about, but talking about it in a general sense.

I don’t think the general public is really that passionate about anti-Semitism to start a boycott in this specific case though.

So this one in general is probably going to be a lot easier to just wait out the initial surge in public criticism.

Reactions: Striiker

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Whether he should be cut or not really isn't the point. Let's be honest. Nothing changes if he's cut tomorrow.

He needs someone to help him understand everything that happened here. It doesn't sound like he gets it and you're likely never going to have him more receptive to listening than he is in the middle of it.

You're absolutely eff'ing right. I don't want DeSean Jackson to be cut. I want him to learn.

I think the outrage should be directed at the sin, and not the sinner, but also at all the people who conflated the "sin and sinner" until just now.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don’t think the general public is really that passionate about anti-Semitism to start a boycott in this specific case though.

So this one in general is probably going to be a lot easier to just wait out the initial surge in public criticism.
Yeah, if the races were flipped and the quote was anti-black I'd bet he'd have been gone immediately.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I hate cancel culture, I really do. But if that's the world we're living in, he has to go. No two-ways about it.

Drew Brees said something uniquely tone def and was lambasted by every ESPN talk show for days, and somehow this isn't even on the front page of the ESPN (other than what the eagles said about it).

Cancel Culture can't be this buffet where you pick and choose what you want to be offended by.

It's also deeply telling that not a single player, past or present, is saying anything to DeSean. Drew Brees said he thinks people should stand for the flag and the entire NFL came down on him.

I think NFL players won't come down on DeSean because I think they know two things:
1) DeSean isn't an anti-semite, but doesn't realize that he's too dumb to understand he said/endorsed anti-semetic stuff
2) What he was trying to say/get across was a message that was uplifting and support of the other black players/citizens of the U.S.

Basically, I think the players view him as a little kid who pulled the pin in a grenade he found on the ground whereas Brees stared at the grenade, pulled the pin reluctantly, but hurled it into combat anyway.

Very interesting situation we've got going on.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You can likely count on your hand the amount of Jewish players/coaches in the league. That’s another big reason Jackson won’t get blowback from his peers. It ultimately doesn’t concern the majority of them at best. Hell others might even agree.

Reactions: Magua and Striiker

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
I think NFL players won't come down on DeSean because I think they know two things:
1) DeSean isn't an anti-semite, but doesn't realize that he's too dumb to understand he said/endorsed anti-semetic stuff
2) What he was trying to say/get across was a message that was uplifting and support of the other black players/citizens of the U.S.

Basically, I think the players view him as a little kid who pulled the pin in a grenade he found on the ground whereas Brees stared at the grenade, pulled the pin reluctantly, but hurled it into combat anyway.

Very interesting situation we've got going on.
brees did nothing nor said anything that was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad