OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Now We Wait And See What The Future Brings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
At the end of the day all these players who are vocal about social justice don't actually care about anything that doesn't affect them or win them praise from the angry masses. That's why Brees stating an opinion resulted in outrage and anti-semetic Hitler quotes resulted in crickets.

That's just the way the world is. Full of hypocrisy and double standards, especially from people who are most vocal about supposedly wanting to end exactly that.

As far as Jackson's apologies go, he'd be better off going radio silent right now because all they're doing is making things worse. Whoever is writing these apologies for him (yeah, there's no way he writes/talks like the wording in those paragraphs) needs to be fired. He should've just said "I didn't understand the quotes. What I said was wrong. I'm so sorry" and been done with it.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
At the end of the day all these players who are vocal about social justice don't actually care about anything that doesn't affect them or win them praise from the angry masses. That's why Brees stating an opinion resulted in outrage and anti-semetic Hitler quotes resulted in crickets.

That's just the way the world is. Full of hypocrisy and double standards, especially from people who are most vocal about supposedly wanting to end exactly that.

I mean, one of these is controversial and directly related to an on-field extremely public issue. The other is "Hitler is bad." Does that really need to be said or doesn't that just fall under the meaningless social media activism umbrella? Does a clap tweet with 1,000 Likes mean something here at all?

I'm sure some players don't care, just like some people don't. But do we really need to paint this broad of a stroke? What does it achieve that isn't better served focusing on the dopes like Stephen Jackson above?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean, one of these is controversial and directly related to an on-field extremely public issue. The other is "Hitler is bad." Does that really need to be said or doesn't that just fall under the meaningless social media activism umbrella? Does a clap tweet with 1,000 Likes mean something here at all?

I'm sure some players don't care, just like some people don't. But do we really need to paint this broad of a stroke? What does it achieve that isn't better served focusing on the dopes like Stephen Jackson above?
One is a completely harmless opinion, the other is an extremely offensive quote. The former resulted in meltdowns, yet the latter resulted in basically nothing from the same sources. It’s just interesting.

You’d think that people who are interested in policing their peers thoughts/speech would want to be consistent, especially since you'd logically expect the reactions to be flipped. Double especially during this time when people are so sensitive about hate speech.

Reactions: Chicken Chaser

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
One is a completely harmless opinion, the other is an extremely offensive quote. The former resulted in meltdowns, yet the latter resulted in basically nothing from the same sources. It’s just interesting.

You’d think that people who are interested in policing their peers thoughts/speech would want to be consistent, especially since you'd logically expect the reactions to be flipped. Double especially during this time when people are so sensitive about hate speech.

It’s harmless to you. To others it’s not. You’re doing exactly what you’re bitching other people are. Everything doesn’t have to be a competition. Christ.

And please, enough with this “It’s just interesting,” crap you’ve been peddling recently. Say what you mean.

*Edit* I fixed a verb. No bicycles were involved to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It’s harmless to you. To others it’s not. You’re doing exactly what you’re bitching other people are. Everything doesn’t have to be a competition. Christ.

And please, enough with this “It’s just interesting,” crap you’ve been pedaling recently. Say what you mean.
I love when people get called out for p***yfooting around a subject.

I don't think Jackson should lose his job over this, but I also don't think anyone should lose their job over social media posts, even if I personally find their posts to be deplorable. Provided you're not the CEO or another high profile executive, you're not a representative of your corporation outside of work. I don't pay much attention to what happens after these types of people are fired, but I can imagine it gets pretty litigious.

And Brees is an ass. I don't even care about his anti-kneeling stand. He wanted to walk that righteous path, but then immediately buckled the moment the world was coming down on him.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I think the "interesting" aspect is there is a double standard. I see where you're coming from, and I understand why you think there's little-to-do about the Jackson quote, but I think on the face of it, one is significantly worse than the other.

One was tone def, and stupid, and should have never been said. One is actually discriminatory, bigoted and a dangerous opinion to have.

I don't think there's anything dangerous about "I think we should stand for the flag." But saying what Jackson said with almost impunity and with popular support is significantly more dangerous.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

And please, enough with this “It’s just interesting,” crap you’ve been pedaling recently. Say what you mean.

Not sure if I'm missing part of the convo due to having someone on my blocked list, but the "sounds interesting" part sounds somewhat like what I said.

Are you referring to me, or someone else? There wasn't any quote tweet or attribution, so I wanted to ask and engage if it is me.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I’ve refrained from commenting on the Jackson situation because I needed to get my anger under control. Fair disclosure, I’m a 54 year old lifelong Eagles fan. I’m also Jewish and my family lost our Eastern European relatives in the Holocaust.

What this man posted was utterly reprehensible and unforgivable. This wasn’t a drunken rant, or a stupid comment, these were the comments of a anti-Semite, period. His joke of an “apology” was even worse. A dear friend who has had season tickets for nearly 30 years cancelled them today and I reached out to the organization by both email and phone to express my disgust and outrage.

I made it clear that if Jackson is not released, then I can no longer be a fan of the Philadelphia Eagles. I’m already disgusted with the NFL in general and this will be the final straw. Black lives do matter, but so do Jewish lives. DeSean Jackson should be ashamed of himself for contributing to anti-Semitism. Racism is racism, no matter what group you direct the hate towards.

Step up and do the right thing Mr. Lurie. The ball is in your court.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Like I said, considering the source, it's very believable that he didn't understand what it meant, so he probably doesn't understand why people are so upset about it, and if he doesn't understand why people are so upset then he's not going to be as apologetic as people want him to be.

Honestly, I think this was ignorance, not malice, and that should be taken into account. Context and intent are important.

Maybe in the future we steer clear of Hitler quotes, just to be safe, huh? :laugh:
But that’s the thing, it’s Hitler. He’s ignorant of who Hitler was? Sorry, I just can’t buy that.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I think the "interesting" aspect is there is a double standard. I see where you're coming from, and I understand why you think there's little-to-do about the Jackson quote, but I think on the face of it, one is significantly worse than the other.

One was tone def, and stupid, and should have never been said. One is actually discriminatory, bigoted and a dangerous opinion to have.

I don't think there's anything dangerous about "I think we should stand for the flag." But saying what Jackson said with almost impunity and with popular support is significantly more dangerous.

I think the double standard is a part of the interesting part, but mainly an aspect I'm interested in is if I'm being nuts by my interpretation of events by DeSean and the positive he was trying to display (which doesn't matter since the negative is wayyyyyyy heavier with his pretty blatant antisemitism, even if he says it was unintentional).

I think the flag comment is worse than you think, but DeSean posting a quote from Hitler that says anti-semetic stuff is still the worst of course. Not much of an argument from me here. Dude should be cut as a life lesson.

Reactions: BiggE

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

As far as Jackson's apologies go, he'd be better off going radio silent right now because all they're doing is making things worse. Whoever is writing these apologies for him (yeah, there's no way he writes/talks like the wording in those paragraphs) needs to be fired. He should've just said "I didn't understand the quotes. What I said was wrong. I'm so sorry" and been done with it.
It's harmless to everyone. It's just the opinion of one player, not a mandate by the league. Brees believing that people should stand isn't forcing anyone to do anything or stopping people from expressing what they believe.

And for the record, I don't even agree with him either. I just have no problem if he voices an opinion I disagree with and I think the outrage when he did was crazy.

I also have no idea how I'm "doing exactly what I'm bitching other people are". My point in my first post was that people are being inconsistent with their selective outrage... meanwhile I'm being consistent. I didn't make a big deal over either situation or pick and choose when to be outraged. I just think it's crazy that the people who did pick and chose picked what they did. An opinion instead of actual hate speech.

I said what I mean: I found it interesting. I found it revealing. It confirmed my suspicions. I wondered what would happen if something like this happened and someone said something offensive, but it wasn't anti-black. I wondered if there would be the same outrage. I questioned if the same vocal activists would be consistently against all forms of intolerance or only that which affects them or scores them points with the angry masses. I got my answer and that's genuinely interesting to me.

And I gotta say, the hostility and accusations lately are truly bizarre. No idea what's up with that. I'm not attacking you or anyone else on here and I don't think I'm even being rude at all either. I'm not "peddling crap" or "p***yfooting around" either. Feel free to ask me a direct specific question and I'll give you a direct specific response.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
To those who don’t think he should be released:

In general, I don’t think people should lose their jobs over racist social media posts. But there are exceptions. DeSean Jackson is not a welder, stock broker, electrician or truck driver; he’s an NFL player. This is not an ordinary job. These men are looked up to by kids, paid a ton of money, given a ton of perks and they must, I repeat MUST, be held to a higher standard. Any NFL player who did this should be released and furthermore they should be suspended by the NFL for one year for a first offense. And if they’re stupid enough to do it a second time, they should be banned from ever playing in the league again.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
That fake Hitler quote is something going around recently on some twitter circles around the social justice stuff going on. It's ridiculously stupid and insensitive but I think it's better served as a learning opportunity with his platform than a cancel moment. Make him look stupid in front of his audience and use that audience to educate. Ignorance isn't always a valid defense but it seems pretty clear that's the case here.

Reactions: Striiker

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It's harmless to everyone. It's just the opinion of one player, not a mandate by the league. Brees believing that people should stand isn't forcing anyone to do anything or stopping people from expressing what they believe.

And for the record, I don't even agree with him either. I just have no problem if he voices an opinion I disagree with and I think the outrage when he did was crazy.

I also have no idea how I'm "doing exactly what I'm bitching other people are". My point in my first post was that people are being inconsistent with their selective outrage... meanwhile I'm being consistent. I didn't make a big deal over either situation or pick and choose when to be outraged. I just think it's crazy that the people who did pick and chose picked what they did. An opinion instead of actual hate speech.

I said what I mean: I found it interesting. I found it revealing. It confirmed my suspicions. I wondered what would happen if something like this happened and someone said something offensive, but it wasn't anti-black. I wondered if there would be the same outrage. I questioned if the same vocal activists would be consistently against all forms of intolerance or only that which affects them or scores them points with the angry masses. I got my answer and that's genuinely interesting to me.

And I gotta say, the hostility and accusations lately are truly bizarre. No idea what's up with that. I'm not attacking you or anyone else on here and I don't think I'm even being rude at all either. I'm not "peddling crap" or "p***yfooting around" either. Feel free to ask me a direct specific question and I'll give you a direct specific response.

Again, you’re entitled to your opinion of whether it was harmless. I would submit that this would not be a universal truth. And more to the point, the difference between using “harmless” and something like what others wrote is massive in typical intent. This is unquestionably worse than what Brees did. They’re not even in the same category. Hitler is the layup of layups.

There are certain phrases that are often used in specific ways and you’ve been echoing so many of them I find it improbable to be coincidence. The tone of damn near everything you write on related subjects is so negative that it obviously reads differently to you and me. Doubly so when you cast out these ridiculously wide nets instead of being specific.

I will take you at your word that it’s just one of those random improbable things that do occur. I’m just tired of people defending or justifying treating people terribly and having to sift through the winks and nudges to find it. I do think that we have to be able to talk about these things in the open if we’re ever going to move past them and we’re currently terrible at it as a society for a million different reasons. I would love for that to change.

Not sure if I'm missing part of the convo due to having someone on my blocked list, but the "sounds interesting" part sounds somewhat like what I said.

Are you referring to me, or someone else? There wasn't any quote tweet or attribution, so I wanted to ask and engage if it is me.

Not you. I quoted someone I suppose you can’t see.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2010
PA
If Joe Schmo said this instead of Djax, he's cut.

What Jackson said is 1000x times worse than what Brees said. Besides being stupid, the situations aren't even comparable. He then doubled down on it, and his fake apology means nothing.

An NFL player is now a grocery clerk, an office drone, or someone else in a "normal" job. These are people who are in the public eye, so what they say to the public is 100% fair game to their employment status.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Again, you’re entitled to your opinion of whether it was harmless. I would submit that this would not be a universal truth. And more to the point, the difference between using “harmless” and something like what others wrote is massive in typical intent. This is unquestionably worse than what Brees did. They’re not even in the same category. Hitler is the layup of layups.

There are certain phrases that are often used in specific ways and you’ve been echoing so many of them I find it improbable to be coincidence. The tone of damn near everything you write on related subjects is so negative that it obviously reads differently to you and me. Doubly so when you cast out these ridiculously wide nets instead of being specific.

I will take you at your word that it’s just one of those random improbable things that do occur. I’m just tired of people defending or justifying treating people terribly and having to sift through the winks and nudges to find it. I do think that we have to be able to talk about these things in the open if we’re ever going to move past them and we’re currently terrible at it as a society for a million different reasons. I would love for that to change.
OK... I'm extremely confused now. There's clearly a miscommunication somewhere. I have no clue what you think I'm saying, so I don't even know which part to clarify.

If you'd like, I could probably better answer in a PM so this doesn't derail the thread.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Brees is against racism and police brutality. He has said this repeated.
Bress also believes you should not kneel when the national anthem is played- no matter what your reason is

You can be behind for both; thats what many peeps cant grasp. They are not mutually exclusive. He was a chump for caving in when all is said and done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chicken Chaser

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
giphy.gif

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Let's divert this to a whole different dimension of the DeSean thing...

If he's cut (which he should be) and we have no dead cap since this could've been a breach of a morals clause in his deal (potentially)...that likely would make it easier to land Clowney, or Logan Ryan on a 1 year deal.

There could be an odd competitive silver-lining if we do cut DeSean and choose to use the money on a defensive player

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
Saint John, NB, Canada
Brees is against racism and police brutality. He has said this repeated.
Bress also believes you should kneel when the national anthem is played- no matter what your reason is

You can be behind for both; thats what many peeps cant grasp. They are not mutually exclusive. He was a chump for caving in when all is said and done.

yes you should be allowed to kneel as an american exercising freedom of expression.

There is a great quote in the movie American President

"America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. .."

just replace burning with kneeling.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'm not into making equivalencies to compensate or condemn a situation. Every one has its own set of circumstances and needs to be judged on that. Jackson said/did something dumb. Whether or not it meets the same level of stupidity of others makes no difference. The deed has been done.
What, to me, matters the most is what can be done with it. It can be an incident where Jackson is cut and the Eagles will reap both positive and negative long term reactions from doing that. It also could become one were Jackson is retained and all sides use it as a learning experience that brings atonement and understanding. I favor the latter route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad