Confirmed Trade: [PHI/NSH/VGK] Ryan Ellis to PHI, Cody Glass and Philippe Myers to NSH, Nolan Patrick to VGK

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'll miss Ellis and his beard. But if you're expecting the Ellis from a year or two ago you're going to be disappointed. Plus he'll be serviceable in the regular season but he's easily abused in the playoffs when the refs don't call anything.

It's time for the Preds to move on and while I was a bit cold on this at first I've come around. I'll miss Ellis in general a whole lot more than I'll miss the current day 30yr old version with that contract that will look really bad really soon.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I will give you younger only cause he sucked last year and I was a fan of his.

And that's the thing here. Preds fans say basically the same thing about Ellis. I mean you need to replace 'younger' with 'old and hobbit-like' but 'sucked last year' is a constant.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
As a flyers fan I knew it was too good to be true. A couple of years trying to get young and fast now we re back to old and slow....45 more years....

Reactions: kp61c

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
They'll have to really, really believe in Glass. I know Ellis is 30 and last season showed some signs of age + injury related decline, but they gave up a legit 1st pairing RD. I would've expected a better return than a 2nd pair defenseman and a formerly high-end prospect.

Kinda strange for Vegas to be involved at all, but I guess they think they have a better chance of reviving Patrick than Glass.

I don't understand how Vegas handled Glass because I believe he can be a #1 centre.

Reactions: surixon

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Ellis is the best player in this deal by a country mile and while he has injury history I don't expect him to regress terribly over the next 4 years. I actually think Philly won this trade with Vegas getting the worst of it. I'm not a fan of Patrick at all. Also never been big on Glass but still mighy have some offensive pedigree to tap into.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I mean I'm not a fan of any of these teams, but this looks like a giant swap of bad players for bad contracts.

If Philly got the 'best' player in Ellis. Ooof.

He wasn't great last year, on the wrong side of 30, with 5 more years at over $6m+ AAV... ... ooof.

Nashville made out the best by dumping salary, and getting a cheaper Myers and Glass. But a 3rd pairing guy who's already 24, and a 4C isn't a steal. They certainly aren't a better team.

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I mean I'm not a fan of any of these teams, but this looks like a giant swap of bad players for bad contracts.

He wasn't great last year, on the wrong side of 30, with 5 more years at over $6m+ AAV... ... ooof.

Nashville made out the best by dumping salary, and getting a cheaper Myers and Glass. But a 3rd pairing guy who's already 24, and a 4C isn't a steal. They certainly aren't a better team.
Isn't it 6 more years?

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

we got timmo on the "wrong side of 30" as well and he was great until the end

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
McCrimmon won't let go of past Wheat Kings, but saw this coming other than that fact. This could be a hit or miss for Vegas, Patrick might emerge as their number one centre or bust.

But Nashville getting Glass is telling me Duchene or Johansen will be gone and he might be the guy to fill that role. But at the same time Nashville looks to be rebuilding, thus not putting pressure on Cody Glass.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
As far as the Glass-Patrick swap goes it's interesting to me the perception that Patrick is some worthless bandaid considering he's played 197 professional games since being drafted, all of them in the NHL. Glass has played 88 total, 66 in the NHL and didn't exactly light the world on fire either. Curious to hear opinions on why Glass has all this untapped potential while Patrick is a definite bust considering they're more or less the same age.

There's another way of looking at it. While Glass has played only 66 games in the NHL and put up only 22 points, as you noted, he did that over two seasons when Patrick played only 52 games and put up only 9 points. Patrick would've played a lot more if he hadn't missed an entire season, but we can't excuse that because injuries are a big reason why there's concern about him reaching his potential. He also had a very disappointing season that was a big step back for him. Glass, on the other hand, has been very slowly improving and hasn't had any major setbacks. It may still be a bit disappointing, considering where he was selected and the hype that he had, but his development still seems to be going in the right direction and getting more opportunity will help. I think that that's why some people see a little more hope for him than Patrick.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad