Confirmed Trade: [PHI/NSH/VGK] Ryan Ellis to PHI, Cody Glass and Philippe Myers to NSH, Nolan Patrick to VGK

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
They'll have to really, really believe in Glass. I know Ellis is 30 and last season showed some signs of age + injury related decline, but they gave up a legit 1st pairing RD. I would've expected a better return than a 2nd pair defenseman and a formerly high-end prospect..

6 years left at huge money, it looks like some NHL GMs are finally factoring contracts into trade values now (see also, Tarasenko being exposed in the expansion draft).

McCrimmon was Patrick's GM in the WHL, I believe, but I don't like that move for Vegas.

Reactions: majormajor

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Vegas being exempt from the expansion draft is ridiculous. Can't wait until they miss the playoffs for a few years and are a horrible team so that we can all start rooting for them like a proper expansion team

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
Has Glass really fallen off that much? I remember him being considered one of the NHL's best center prospects, and now he's getting traded for someone who can't even stay on the ice.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Vegas is not exempted. They are excluded. Vegas owner would love an 8 figure check silly.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
6 years left at huge money, it looks like some NHL GMs are finally factoring contracts into trade values now (see also, Tarasenko being exposed in the expansion draft).

McCrimmon was Patrick's GM in the WHL, I believe, but I don't like that move for Vegas.

I think the cap implications definitely make trading Ellis a reasonable "future-proofing" move, but really thought they could've done better with the return.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
They'll have to really, really believe in Glass. I know Ellis is 30 and last season showed some signs of age + injury related decline, but they gave up a legit 1st pairing RD. I would've expected a better return than a 2nd pair defenseman and a formerly high-end prospect.

Kinda strange for Vegas to be involved at all, but I guess they think they have a better chance of reviving Patrick than Glass.
Ellis really isn't a 1st pairing Dman, that just happens to be more or less where he played because Ekholm is on the same side as Josi and can pretty much carry anyone. The reality is that Ellis is more like a really good 2nd pairing guy these days, but if he finds his head and stops running from contact he could be fine on a 1st pairing again. He just wasn't very good this year and lost his spot to Carrier in the playoffs.

Reactions: preds1

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
damn what a trade, ya love to see it

pretty fair trade tbh, i like it for NSH cus im high on Myers

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

He had Provorov too. Should have traded for him instead.:sarcasm:

Reactions: SnS

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I really think if Poile keeps trading top pair dmen for C’s, in the next decade he may get a #1C.

thrillermiller89

Jan 19, 2010
San Jose
You're aware that Burns is 4 years older than Ellis and that you don't have to talk about risk when you already know how his last four years under contract went, right? They have still been pretty good and it doesn't make sense to expect Ellis to hold up even better than that as a baseline. It might happen, but it's far from a guarantee.
The risk is clearly in regards to the backend of the contract. No point in talking about the last 4 years. They play a similar offensive style despite the clear size difference. And the contacts are similar both in terms of when they were signed and the AAV. That’s the point I was making.

thrillermiller89

Jan 19, 2010
San Jose
The risk is clearly in regards to the backend of the contract. No point in talking about the last 4 years that Burns just played. They play a similar offensive style despite the clear size difference. And the contacts are similar both in terms of when they were signed (their age) and the AAV. That’s the point I was making.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Myers is (or at least was) an intriguing defenseman. If he can get his game back on track in Nashville, this isn't a bad haul for them imo. Maybe I'm just a weirdo but I'd consider him the x-factor for the Predators here and would probably rather have him than a first

Ellis might be somewhat overrated tbh

Reactions: majormajor

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Myers is (or at least was) an intriguing defenseman. If he can get his game back on track in Nashville, this isn't a bad haul for them imo. Maybe I'm just a weirdo but I'd consider him the x-factor for the Predators here and would probably rather have him than a first

Ellis might be somewhat overrated tbh

If anybody knows their defensemen it's Nashville.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Patrick seems a bit like damaged goods at this point. I really wanted the best for him and thought he had a chance. He has back issues and he has had multiple concussions in his short time with the team.

Last year he was pretty awful after missing a season with migraines which may or may not have been caused by the concussions.

He has the stick-handling ability and he is a really good playmaker with time, but his game speed and ability to execute on his manuevers has been multiple steps behind.

He was given every opportunity last season in terms of playing time on the PP to rack up points, but he just couldn't do it.
thx

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
So does Ellis suck now or something?

Nah just overrated a bit. He is a small defenseman and is an average skater. Has trouble with bigger forwards in the corners. His shot is a great from the point. It will be interesting to seem him without Ekholm or Josi around to lighten the load. Contract is going to be a stinker towards the end if his skating is already average and the league getting faster.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Nah just overrated a bit. He is a small defenseman and is an average skater. Has trouble with bigger forwards in the corners. His shot is a great from the point. It will be interesting to seem him without Ekholm or Josi around to lighten the load. Contract is going to be a stinker towards the end if his skating is already average and the league getting faster.

He'll play with Provorov. He'll be just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad