Phaneuf Discussion Thread - Civil Mode

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Please.....a captain stays with his team mate waiting for the player to be taken off the ice....

It goes to leadership and the lack of it on the Leafs ......

Question, what impact does him BRIEFLY going to the locker room (for a reason neither you or I know for a fact) have on the team's performance as a whole? The only thing it impacts is what fans perception of him is. That's it. Everything else is just mindless squabbling that has nothing to do with wins and losses.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Diceman934, a lot of your criticisms regarding Phaneuf are fair and accurate. You're not a blind Phaneuf hater like some other posters, but you're really reaching with regards to the Ranger incident imo. You also lose some credibility in my book cause you rarely acknowledge any of Phaneuf's strong suits and bash him a ton. The Phaneuf fanboys can be delusional, but you can't be just as one-sided as they are.

I have posted several post about Dion when he has played well.....as far as my credibility goes and the Ranger issue.....it is Dion who lost credibility.....he left his team mate laying on the ice....you simply do not does this as a team mate, and as a captain...it is reprehensible.

Dion has shown no leadership since he arrived here.....Last night was another prime example when he refused to come out and addressed the media..

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Question, what impact does him BRIEFLY going to the locker room (for a reason neither you or I know for a fact) have on the team's performance as a whole? The only thing it impacts is what fans perception of him is. That's it. Everything else is just mindless squabbling that has nothing to do with wins and losses.
Briefly is not 15 minutes..... I have no idea of why he left the ice....

You are kidding your self if you think that his team mates have not questioned just what he was thinking, and again last night when he refused to talk to the media.....

It goes to Leadership.....and if you do not think leadership affects wins and losses then there is nothing I can do to change your opinion.

A rudderless ship seldom gets to it's destination.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He left with Ranger's stick and gloves... as did Franson who you continue to conveniently leave out of this. Scapegoat mentality at its finest

Really.....it took him and Franson to take his gloves and stick to the dressing room....they have equipment people for just this task.....try again!

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I have posted several post about Dion when he has played well.....as far as my credibility goes and the Ranger issue.....it is Dion who lost credibility.....he left his team mate laying on the ice....you simply do not does this as a team mate, and as a captain...it is reprehensible.

Dion has shown no leadership since he arrived here.....Last night was another prime example when he refused to come out and addressed the media..

How is this guy going to lead with his bad decision making on the ice? What's he going to say to Gardiner on a bad pinch since he does even worse? Is he going to be a calming influence when he handles the puck like a grenade? When was the last time he backed up a teammate?

He is a good player that has some stability issues in his play. Captains don't have to be the best player on the ice in terms of results. But they have to be consistent and not make glaring mistakes or cost you games too often.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The fact that you're making a big stink about this one particular incident while have no idea why he left the ice is ridiculous speculation and assumption .. Considering the media didn't investigate this more or make a big deal out of it makes me believe he did leave the ice for a specific reason

I question having Phaneuf as captain given the fact that this team has had three straight season ending collapses .. Signals to me he needs better support, or he needs to be a supporting voice with a new leader

Give it a rest though we get it - you think Phaneuf is garbage for leaving a teammate on the ice

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I hate to keep asking the same question to the Phaneuf fanboys on this board. But, what the heck, I'll try again.

Do people actually enjoy watching Dion Phaneuf play hockey? Legitimately enjoy observing the way he plays the game?

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Really.....it took him and Franson to take his gloves and stick to the dressing room....they have equipment people for just this task.....try again!
Equipment people don't go on the ice, it takes 2 seconds to walk to the room, toss it in and leave.

They did that, they came back out, they stood there with everyone else. You're only making a big deal about this because it's Phaneuf. You didn't once mention Franson until I did and even now you couldn't care less that he did it too.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
If you like lazy skating...yes you enjoy watching him.

I hate to keep asking the same question to the Phaneuf fanboys on this board. But, what the heck, I'll try again.

Do people actually enjoy watching Dion Phaneuf play hockey? Legitimately enjoy observing the way he plays the game?

If you like lazy skating...yes you enjoy watching him.:yo:

I think that play on the PK just shows why he is so polarizing a figure in T.O.
He had to take that extra bit of time off the clock to show he is smarter than the average bear...and it came back to bite him. I HATE the way he takes his freaking time to get back to the puck or head up ice...I mean..if you are the CAPTAIN...should you not show your team at least a work ethic?

Lupul is a HORROR show in his own end...it's almost comical sometimes (if Clarkson didn't play for us...Lupul would be hands down the worst winger in our zone not named Kessel) but you know what?...he really does try hard when he is out there...leaves everything on the ice...does Dion ever do that?? :sarcasm:
At least he has some time of work ethic to show his team...Dion has none of that..not good defensively not good offensively...its always the excuse.

When someone says Dion is not putting up numbers...he gets a pass because he plays TOUGH minutes against top lines. Then...when he is on the ice for those goals against ...they say "well he was never a shutdown guy...more an offensive guy...You can't have it both ways...the guy is killing this team with lack of spirit and skill.

You cannot tell me that the other players don't see this if we do....:shakehead

Mar 26, 2010
Phaneuf is getting the Bouwmeester treatment. A great defenseman that has played great for the Leafs despite having to carry a young team on his shoulders.

Phaneuf has not carried ****! He is liability every time he is on the ice. The guy plain out sucks. He is a #3 D on any team.

He is NOT a #1 D or a Captain.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Please.....a captain stays with his team mate waiting for the player to be taken off the ice....

It goes to leadership and the lack of it on the Leafs ......
Dion's rep throughout the league, as stated numerous times, he is voted the most overrated player in the league...I wonder if his peers are on to something...sounds like he may not even be a good team guy, let alone a good captain?

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX

The problem with the rose-colored glasses that the Phaneuf haters wear, is that they can't even recognize all the times he makes a good play, keeps the play alive, and bails out all the errors the other players are making on the ice.

So, all they do is focus on one bad play and then all the sudden he's the worst Leafs defenseman ever!

Fact: Bozak sucks as a #1 center when it comes to defensive coverage. Not that the positioning of your center or even that of your wingers would ever affect how a defenseman read the play, or, what kind of options he has as a defenseman....but...Oh yeah, Dion Phaneuf sucks and stuff!

Mar 26, 2010
Dion's rep throughout the league, as stated numerous times, he is voted the most overrated player in the league...I wonder if his peers are on to something...sounds like he may not even be a good team guy, let alone a good captain?

That is exactly why Calgary shipped him out. Teammates hated him!

Most overrated player in the NHL.

As Stamkos put it... Phaneuf is a "wannabe". He hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX

What does that have to do with anything? Nothing at all. Some of those polls came from ESPN, which generally sucks at hockey coverage. They don't even have a crew to air games in the first place and haven't for almost 13+ years now.

They claimed to have 'asked' 30 'anonymous' random players from the NHL what they think.

This could stem from a multitude of things...Phaneuf lighting a guy up in a hit, Phanuef outscoring a team-mate. Phaneuf saying something to a guy that makes him mad. Phaneuf getting lots of media coverage that others guys don't get because they prefer to play in a non-Hockey market. Phaneuf having a hot wife. Phaneuf being an all-star. Phaneuf getting high Norris votes. Phaneuf having a big slapshot. Phaneuf getting a better contract.

See any reasons to see a discrepancy here?

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
That is exactly why Calgary shipped him out. Teammates hated him!

Most overrated player in the NHL.

As Stamkos put it... Phaneuf is a "wannabe". He hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!

No, they shipped him out because they were struggling and over-priced themselves on the blueline and had no assets or talents, much less depth at the forward position.

Why do you think he got traded for a depth defenseman and a couple of depth forwards? Only Stajan remains there from that deal.

Mar 26, 2010
No, they shipped him out because they were struggling and over-priced themselves on the blueline and had no assets or talents, much less depth at the forward position.

Why do you think he got traded for a depth defenseman and a couple of depth forwards?

Thats not the word around the block! He was shipped out for his poor attitude and antics.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

Why do you think he got traded for a depth defenseman and a couple of depth forwards? Only Stajan remains there from that deal.

Apparently Sutter never shopped him around. Other GMs would've offered more had they known he was available

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

He was overpriced and there were issues in the dressing room around Phaneuf.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=345780

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
The problem with the rose-colored glasses that the Phaneuf haters wear, is that they can't even recognize all the times he makes a good play, keeps the play alive, and bails out all the errors the other players are making on the ice.

So, all they do is focus on one bad play and then all the sudden he's the worst Leafs defenseman ever!

Fact: Bozak sucks as a #1 center when it comes to defensive coverage. Not that the positioning of your center or even that of your wingers would ever affect how a defenseman read the play, or, what kind of options he has as a defenseman....but...Oh yeah, Dion Phaneuf sucks and stuff!

So your stance is that you enjoy watching Dion Phaneuf play hockey?

leafstilldeath*

Only thing Dion is good for

BjsJNjlCcAA_Zve.jpg:large

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad