Phaneuf Discussion Thread - Civil Mode

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can you see a team winning a Stanley Cup with Phaneuf as the #1 D? I can't. He'd make a good trading chip, though, and I think the time has come.

I don't see Phaneuf being a defenseman on a Stanley Cup winning team in any role. Even if he was on the third pairing, his inability to play without being completely overwhelmed and crippled by his own stupidity would have been exploited by the opposition.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
6 or 7

Oldest probably 67.:sarcasm:

I think there's 3 groups.

1- my favorite player is awesome. He is the best. Shutup

2- Stop saying bad things about Leaf players cuz other team's fans will read it and know they aren't as good as we make them out to be

3- ffs

leafstilldeath*

That was pathetic! He looked like he was having his lunch money stolen at grade school by Backes.

That set the tone for the game... Backes established that Phaneuf was his *****!

With no Leash

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Can you see a team winning a Stanley Cup with Phaneuf as the #1 D? I can't. He'd make a good trading chip, though, and I think the time has come.

With his new contract kicking in next year with a limited NTC, that would be a tall task.

Additionally, who do you get to replace him?

As much as I think Phaneuf is a severely flawed player and IMO not a true #1 d-man, he's still capable of playing big minutes at a pretty high level. I don't see any of the current group of internal candidates able to fill the void, not yet .....

nidnus13

Oct 29, 2010
Calgary
Despite all his boneheaded plays and all that, the thing that bugs me most is how he cowards away from EVERYONE!!! Like stand up for yourself its hockey its not like your going to get curb stomped out there!!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Despite all his boneheaded plays and all that, the thing that bugs me most is how he cowards away from EVERYONE!!! Like stand up for yourself its hockey its not like your going to get curb stomped out there!!

Weirdest thing is he's the same size as a guy like David Backes or Lucic who have no problems pushing him around. Have some pride at least.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Weirdest thing is he's the same size as a guy like David Backes or Lucic who have no problems pushing him around. Have some pride at least.

Those two players are the antithesis of Dion Phaneuf in nearly every way imaginable.

There's more heart, toughness and leadership in those two players that Dion Phaneuf will ever have.

It's not even a contest.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's loved in Calgary.

Radio loves to laugh about the woes of the Leafs.

Boomer in the Morning

with Dean "Boomer" Molberg, Rhett Warrener & Ryan Pinder

Warrener loves to laugh at Phaneuf and they thought they'd never seen Phaneuf worse than he was last night.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
Just saw this on facebook and I just had to share.

2ch9xds.jpg

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
The people pointing fingers at Phaneuf, don't even have hands. They must be typing on their keyboards with their noses.

It probably goes something like this:

7S5g5.jpg

This perpetual motion device Lisa built doesn't even do anything, it just keeps going faster and faster!

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
That was taken 15 minutes after the ref stopped the period......Dion came out about 20 seconds before this pic.

To be fair, maybe the guy had to take a really big crap. You know, to mirror his play as of late. :naughty:

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Phaneuf is bad via advanced stats, and Phaneuf is bad via eye test.

Conclusion: Phaneuf is le bad.

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
BjsQgWoCcAEEKiX.png

He can't handle those minutes. He is not a superstar, he is a tier below.

Fact. This player usage chart tells the entire story. Dion plays the against the toughest competition with most of his starts in the defensive zone out of necessity. We know he can't handle the minutes he gets, and to be honest, he struggles breaking out of the zone so he can't really handle the defensive zone starts either. If the leafs want to maximize Dion for at least 5 out of the 7 years he's gotten on his contract, he has to have more sheltered zone starts. He also can't be relied on to be the Chris Pronger of this team (Randy once again trying to put a square peg in a round hole). Yes, we need that guy who we can pair him with, or we need that guy to be paired with someone else, and have Dion exclusively in a sheltered offensive role similarly to the way a sensible coach would use Jake Gardiner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad